Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boycott The White Stripes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15036)

Concrete Abutments 07.25.2007 11:16 PM

Boycott The White Stripes

I went to my first White Stripes show ever tonight in Connecticut. They've NEVER played in this state before so this was going to be an event! I had never seen them until now because I just never felt like driving out of state to catch it. They KICKED ASS! Totally hot.

Problem: The show was 70 minutes long! Every other show on this tour has been 2 hours or more! I'm out 50 bucks for this excursion and to think Jack himself exclaimed at the beginning of the show that this was their first gig in CT but they STILL cut it short. There were so many missing songs from this show it was a goddamn crime! WHY? I"ll tell you.

On my way out of the venue one of the ushers overheard my complaining and stepped in to tell me that some asshole threw a shoe at Jack and Meg at the very end (which didn't hit them BTW) and that's why they didn't come back for the final set. OK, so ONE asshole throws a shoe and you piss off 16,000 people?

If you haven't bought tickets for them on this tour but were thinking about it, think again! I thought they had a coolness about them but it's pretty obvious now that they're on a major they think their shit don't stink and they can throw a hissy fit like a 4 year old whenever they please. Good going Jack and/or Meg! Screw the people that pay your salary!

It's a goddamn good thing I only ever bought two of their discs. The other four were burns and I'm not giving them one RED dime anymore. You ROCK but FUCK YOU!

drrrtyboots 07.25.2007 11:18 PM

You make no sense but shit happens, man.

Concrete Abutments 07.25.2007 11:22 PM

Are you stoned right now? Can you read? Don't make sense? ?????

CHOUT 07.25.2007 11:30 PM

The first time I saw Sonic Youth was about 70 minutes total, including encore...I was a little disappointed at the time.

atsonicpark 07.25.2007 11:31 PM

um...

i saw xiu xiu last year and they played 2 hours and then i saw em this year as part of a festival and they played 45 minutes. i didn't whine about it. at least i saw them at all! ... why would you even want to listen to the white stripes's boring simple bullshit rock for TWO HOURS is beyond me anyway... it's funny that you like the band enough to spend $50 to see them and then complain when they don't play as long as you think they should.

i feel no sympathy for what you said, but i do find it hilarious that meg and jack supposedly cut the short early over a thrown shoe. i wish it was a thrown boot and it had smacked meg in her fat ass tits and made them pop. or hit jack in the nose and broke it and he retired from music. when people throw shit at shitty bands, it makes me happy. i remember the time the mars volta had piss thrown at them.. i laughed.

SynthethicalY 07.25.2007 11:32 PM

Dude, it is just a bad experience you had, it doesn't make them totally evil.

CHOUT 07.25.2007 11:33 PM

Removing personal taste from the topic, at least they played as long as they did - what if they quit after only 30 minutes?

Everyneurotic 07.25.2007 11:37 PM

tough shit, don't go see them again, simple solution.

i went to see them yesterday...actually, i went to see grinderman, who opened for them, saw like 5 songs by the white stripes, they played dead leaves and the dirty ground, jolene (good arrangement, butchered by jack's voice) and hotel yorba, i got my money's worth with those songs. the rest sounded like a led zeppeling cover band whose only members to show up for the gig were the guitar player and the drummer on amateur night.

drrrtyboots 07.25.2007 11:38 PM

Oh and yes, i'm so fucking stoned right now. Nice accusations bro, peace dude chill.

Concrete Abutments 07.25.2007 11:40 PM

Festival shows are notoriously short sets. This was a headlining gig in a place they had NEVER played before! If I were at a festival I wouldn't expect them to do an hour.

NO they're not the hottest act going, but they do energize really well LIVE!

$50 is the total expenditure for the evening not the ticket price.

Think about it; this show wasn't even the length of an 80 minute CD! 30 minutes would have incited a riot!

Whatever, screw you guys. When you blow hard earned cash, that you really don't have to piss away, on something that fucks you over, you'll understand.

drrrtyboots 07.25.2007 11:42 PM

I've gone to plenty of 70 or even 60 minute set-shows and for the most part, i'm happy enough to be there. It does suck when you expect it to be longer but at least you go to see them, i had to sit through a good hour plus of fucking yeah yeah yeahs before being graced with sonic youth last summer and that almost seemed like a waste of my money right there.

Everyneurotic 07.25.2007 11:48 PM

i have more news for you, you are getting SCAMMED!!!

that's right.

do you realize that most of the cds you buy don't use up all 80 minutes available?

drrrtyboots 07.25.2007 11:51 PM

You lie every-e, you lie!

atsonicpark 07.26.2007 12:07 AM

hahaha.

everyneurotic wins.

total-trash 07.26.2007 12:10 AM

the only time i ever saw em live i was really far away. but it was still a great show.

k-krack 07.26.2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
I went to my first White Stripes show ever tonight in Connecticut. They've NEVER played in this state before so this was going to be an event! I had never seen them until now because I just never felt like driving out of state to catch it. They KICKED ASS! Totally hot.
is was their first gig in CT but they STILL cut it short. There were so many missing songs from this show it was a goddamn crime! WHY? I"ll tell you.
Problem: The show was 70 minutes long! Every other show on this tour has been 2 hours or more! I'm out 50 bucks for this excursion and to think Jack himself exclaimed at the beginning of the show that th

On my way out of the venue one of the ushers overheard my complaining and stepped in to tell me that some asshole threw a shoe at Jack and Meg at the very end (which didn't hit them BTW) and that's why they didn't come back for the final set. OK, so ONE asshole throws a shoe and you piss off 16,000 people?

If you haven't bought tickets for them on this tour but were thinking about it, think again! I thought they had a coolness about them but it's pretty obvious now that they're on a major they think their shit don't stink and they can throw a hissy fit like a 4 year old whenever they please. Good going Jack and/or Meg! Screw the people that pay your salary!

It's a goddamn good thing I only ever bought two of their discs. The other four were burns and I'm not giving them one RED dime anymore. You ROCK but FUCK YOU!

Dude, they play 2 hours sets almost every night. Don't be such a dick, a 70 minute set is still a set, and I'm sure you'd get pretty damn tired of playing 2 hours sets night after night after night. Who cares? Yr just looking for excuses to get pissed off because they're on a major now.
Grow up.

Translation for yr entire rant, "Bitch, bitch. Moan, moan. "

k-krack 07.26.2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i have more news for you, you are getting SCAMMED!!!

that's right.

do you realize that most of the cds you buy don't use up all 80 minutes available?

HAHAHA Amen, brother.

Concrete Abutments 07.26.2007 12:19 AM

Ummmm let's see. First ever show in this state after six studio albums and we get short changed. Not cool.

AND I really could give a shit what label they're on. I bought Icky Thump the day it came out. I just have to wonder if the spoils of a major label advance aren't going to their head.

"Bitch Bitch Moan Moan" is right! If you were ripped off wouldn't you wanna blow off some steam?

k-krack 07.26.2007 12:23 AM

You can hardly call it "ripped off," dude.
Let's be serious, if you were playing a show (especially one in a state that AT YR WORD they haven't played before, or at least in many years) and someone shot something at you, you'd be pretty irked. There are many ways of taking this. Of course, there are the tolerant bands (unfortunately, these are rare) that take it in stride, ie. chuck the shoe back in the audience/eat the shoe/Take a piss in the shoe and shoot it back, WHATEVER! Anything to please! But then there is the majority of bands that get pissed of at hecklers. Of course it's a bit rash that they wouldn't come back for an encore or whatever, but whatever. You deal with it, you still got a 70 minute set, which is still a pretty decent set.

Norma J 07.26.2007 12:24 AM

70 minutes is long enough. You got over an hour so stop your complaining and just enjoy the fact you saw over an hours worth of a band you dig.

Gee, some people will complain about anything.

Edited: Be more pissed off about the fact that some dickheads in society feel the need to be destructive and throw shoes and/or other objects, instead of enjoying themselves.