Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

!@#$%! 11.28.2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
U2 sounds like proto-Coldplay.

ya no digas mamadas!

wait— what u2 you talking? like i said, i lost track mid 90s

didnt coldplay rip off radiohead or something?

anyway..

!@#$%! 11.28.2018 05:46 PM

most recent charalambides

 

evollove 11.28.2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what u2 you talking? .


https://www.earwolf.com/show/u-talkin-u2-to-me/

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

didnt coldplay rip off radiohead or something?



Coldplay mashes nicely with Pixies apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5CzJ8GluE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
U2 sounds like proto-Coldplay. Early U2 had a hint of post-punk to it, which is probably why I like it most.


I swear the backing music sounds just like "Jigsaw Feeling" or something. (35 years old btw!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yohnJNx8M3g

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.28.2018 06:53 PM

 

me. 11.28.2018 06:54 PM

Oof by Happy Flowers.

Severian 11.28.2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
 


^^^ what they call, “the motherfucking shit, bitch”
 

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.28.2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
^^^ what they call, “the motherfucking shit, bitch”

 



You're telling me man. First time listening, and holy crap! Is this their best album?

Now playing...


 

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.29.2018 12:39 AM

 


Kero Kero Bonito - Totep

Bytor Peltor 11.29.2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Everyone talks about 80’s U2, but no one ever talks about 90’s U2. Why doesn’t anyone ever talk about U2POP


Auctung Baby Tour I saw on back-2-back nights in Houston & Austin. My favorite memory of the show is how they ended with, Love Is Blindness. I’m surprised how, Ultrviolet (Light My Way) has held up so well over the years.

PopMart Tour was the night before Thanksgiving, believe it was my last concert in the Astrodome. We had floor seats and Bono led the guys in on the floor wearing an t-shirt showing the muscles of a bodybuilder and a hoodie......like a prize fighter entering the rink to their remix of M’s - PopMuzik. The Mexico City show was the night after Thanksgiving and broadcast live on MTV.

The remixes released from this album are the best: There was a killer drum & bass remix for, Staring At The Sun.......the single also had a bonus track, Your Blue Room. The -LEMON- remixes were pretty ace as well.

Note: Smashmouth was the opening band......two or three years ago they were playing a feee pool side party at a Lake Charles Casino.

Bytor Peltor 11.29.2018 01:07 AM

The Good Dr wins!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
^^^ what they call, “the motherfucking shit, bitch”
 


Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.29.2018 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
The Good Dr wins!!!



:p

 


Astrobrite - Whitenoisesuperstar

Cherryflavorburst might be my one of my fav songs ever. Sounds like a lo-fi loveliescrushing w/ some alec empire breakbeat thrown in for good measure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBelETXM7U

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.29.2018 04:27 AM


 


Ghost Bath - Funeral

choc e-Claire 11.29.2018 04:27 AM

Blur's self-titled.

cause you're so great and I love you...

Bytor Peltor 11.29.2018 05:06 AM

Sounds like distorted titanic plates morphing into a mutated drum & bass fuzz.

Hey choc e-C.....spend 9:48 with this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
:p

 


Astrobrite - Whitenoisesuperstar

Cherryflavorburst might be my one of my fav songs ever. Sounds like a lo-fi loveliescrushing w/ some alec empire breakbeat thrown in for good measure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBelETXM7U


Severian 11.29.2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
You're telling me man. First time listening, and holy crap! Is this their best album?


I think so, but don’t stop there!

_slavo_ 11.29.2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I like a few Zooropta tracks. Like “Numb.” And even that Batman one. And even Pop. But I don’t care for Auchtung, which is everyone’s favorite.


Zooropa is superior to Achtung Baby in my opinion. Achtung Baby has some iconic songs on it, but Zooropa is just musically way more interesting, less traditional and more "out there"

_slavo_ 11.29.2018 09:21 AM

By the way, are we really discussing fucking U2 on a Sonic Youth message board?

h8kurdt 11.29.2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
By the way, are we really discussing fucking U2 on a Sonic Youth message board?


Literally my thoughts. That and Metallica/Megadeath (of which I took part I'll admit) what's this board coming to? Besides hurtling through middle age.

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Coldplay mashes nicely with Pixies apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5CzJ8GluE

i posted that link 2 pages ago. it doesnt mash. it’s the same damn song, watered down!

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
By the way, are we really discussing fucking U2 on a Sonic Youth message board?

sonic... that’s the band that covered madonna yes? :D

evollove 11.29.2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i posted that link 2 pages ago. it doesnt mash. it’s the same damn song, watered down!


Waaaay too much action on this board for me to keep up.


Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
By the way, are we really discussing fucking U2 on a Sonic Youth message board?


"Early" U2, which is now OK to admit enjoying.

Don't worry. I don't think there will be an extended Songs of Experience exegesis.


New topic: What's everyone's favorite 3rd Eye Blind album? jk

!@#$%! 11.29.2018 10:12 AM

also...

 

Severian 11.29.2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Zooropa is superior to Achtung Baby in my opinion. Achtung Baby has some iconic songs on it, but Zooropa is just musically way more interesting, less traditional and more "out there"


Lol. I see I called it “Zooropta.” The downside of doing everything from a phone is typos that make no sense, even on made up words. Also crashing your car.

Yeah, I bought Auchtung Baby way back when, but never got the big freaking deal. It feels a bit like the world’s then-biggest pop band trying to cash in on what was then alternative and accidentally making a lame ass glam pop album with a few intolerably sugary moments (“One” is bleh).

Far as the band goes, I can basically just put on their “Best of” album, volume 1... 1980-89 or something... and be content. It has the singles from every album and a few popular non-single cuts from the ‘80s. Plus “The Sweetest Thing,” which, if I have to have some sugary U2, I’ll take that track over freaking “One.”

Severian 11.29.2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Waaaay too much action on this board for me to keep up.




"Early" U2, which is now OK to admit enjoying.

Don't worry. I don't think there will be an extended Songs of Experience exegesis.


New topic: What's everyone's favorite 3rd Eye Blind album? jk



Early U2 is universally acceptable listening, and if you happen to like other U2, that’s fine too.

Songs of Innocent Experienfe or whatever the fuck is not OK.

Severian 11.29.2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
also...

 


I’ve always wondered why there isn’t more Negativland talk on this forum.

I have tremendous respect for that band. Bands from GY!BE to Wolf Eyes and Black Dice and even Aphex Twin and other shit I love all owe a huge debt to NL.

Severian 11.29.2018 12:38 PM

I saw a great documentary about Negativland once. Forget what it was called. Will remember and ETA

choc e-Claire 11.29.2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Sounds like distorted titanic plates morphing into a mutated drum & bass fuzz.

Hey choc e-C.....spend 9:48 with this


Thanks for the link Bytor! That was pretty good, especially the bit around the 4-minute mark where the drums stopped.

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
By the way, are we really discussing fucking U2 on a Sonic Youth message board?

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Literally my thoughts. That and Metallica/Megadeath (of which I took part I'll admit) what's this board coming to? Besides hurtling through middle age.


The Phil Collins solo years will be discussed shortly.

Savage Clone 11.29.2018 07:16 PM

I think I'm technically past middle-aged but since dementia hasn't sunk in I can still say with clarity the Phil Collins sucks. Even though he has played on some really great records.

I can say that I saw U2 in 1984 and really enjoyed it. My tolerance for extremely Earnest music was higher then, however.

choc e-Claire 11.29.2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I can say that I saw U2 in 1984 and really enjoyed it.


You've reminded me of my dad, who saw U2 at Wembley Stadium some twenty years ago and brings it up about once a month since.

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
You've reminded me of my dad, who saw U2 at Wembley Stadium some twenty years ago and brings it up about once a month since.


Ouch. :D

Severian 11.29.2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I think I'm technically past middle-aged but since dementia hasn't sunk in I can still say with clarity the Phil Collins sucks. Even though he has played on some really great records.

I can say that I saw U2 in 1984 and really enjoyed it. My tolerance for extremely Earnest music was higher then, however.


Oh my god so earnest.

choc e-Claire 11.29.2018 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Ouch. :D


TBF, that doesn't piss me off that much because I have no interest in U2. What does annoy me is that he saw R.E.M. on the Monster tour, something I would have loved to have done.

(He also tells me about finding a slab of beer there, hiding it in a toilet block, and it still being there at the end of the show. Him and his mates got drunk on the way back.)

evollove 11.29.2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I can say that I saw U2 in 1984 and really enjoyed it. My tolerance for extremely Earnest music was higher then, however.



Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I have no interest in U2.


U2 is probably a "had to be there" sort of band. They're tied to a lot of memories for most of us. (Currently skimming Achtung and a ton of my childhood is flooding back.)

It's difficult to explain how culturally relevant they were at one point. I'm sure there are books about it.

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 08:17 PM

I was there. They were enemies of rock & roll. Still are, only worse.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.29.2018 08:23 PM


 


I don't care what anyone says. This album is insane. Some of the sounds James and Brian make on their guitars are so bizarre, especially considering the entire band was on meth while recording. Also the drums are so bouncy and wild when coupled with Reggie's down-tuned bass. There still isn't much that sounds quite like KoRn's first two albums... sans Helmet - maybe. It's a very dark album, and underrated in terms of experimentation. If it wasn't for KoRn, I'd never have learned to appreciate the unique tones of Lee or Thurston, etc.

Daddy is still corny af though. Awful way to end the album.

Severian 11.29.2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
 


I don't care what anyone says. This album is insane. Some of the sounds James and Brian make on their guitars are so bizarre, especially considering the entire band was on meth while recording. Also the drums are so bouncy and wild when coupled with Reggie's down-tuned bass. There still isn't much that sounds quite like KoRn's first two albums... sans Helmet - maybe. It's a very dark album, and underrated in terms of experimentation. If it wasn't for KoRn, I'd never have learned to appreciate the unique tones of Lee or Thurston, etc.

Daddy is still corny af though. Awful way to end the album.


I think I liked Life is Peachy more. Than one was definitely weirder.

This one ... meh. KoRn in general... meh. Bleh.

Severian 11.29.2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
U2 is probably a "had to be there" sort of band. They're tied to a lot of memories for most of us. (Currently skimming Achtung and a ton of my childhood is flooding back.)

It's difficult to explain how culturally relevant they were at one point. I'm sure there are books about it.


There are books about it.

Yeah, they were huge. Pearl Jam was VERY BRIEFLY believed to be APPROACHING the same level, but still quite far from it.

Those guys were the biggest band of the ‘80s and early ‘90s. Even if some of us wish it had been REM or the Cure (should have!), it was U2, and they provided the soundtracks to our lives.

Even, like, when Nirvana was big... U2 was bigger. And as far as I’m concerned, they deserved it more than most bands that reach that level.

Hard to hate on them outright. I’ll hate on everything since “Beautiful Day” (blaaah) all day long, but the rest... yeah. Memories. Too many to shrug off. Mostly good ones.

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2018 09:00 PM

Goddammit people, knock it off with the fucking association of the quality of art and the events in your bullshit lives. THIS IS SLAVERY! :mad:

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.29.2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I think I liked Life is Peachy more. Than one was definitely weirder.

This one ... meh. KoRn in general... meh. Bleh.



Yeah. LiP is their best album.

Both are fun though.

Good God. <3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth