Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daydream Blast First Vinyl (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20893)

Protectmeyou 04.02.2008 11:34 AM

Daydream Blast First Vinyl

well I just got the deal of the century on ebay. a mint condition (yes, unplayed) of Daydream, Blast First for $49.

a few thoughts:

- unbelievably quiet pressing, there is not a hint of surface noise on this.

- the fidelity is amazing. I'm hearing instrument seperation like never before. the tail-out of "The Sprawl" for example, the way the volumes have been mixed is really making itself apparent now.

- the slapback echo on the Thurston's vocals on "Silver Rocket". and just way the vocals sit in the mix generally. much more 'in' the music as opposed on top of it.

- there's some very weird panning , volume adjusting going on in Kissability. I'll have to check against the cd version

- only bummer: side B is slightly off centre, I'm getting a tiny bit of pitch wow/flutter. I can easily live with it though.

does anyone have both Blast First & Enigma's? how do they compare?

marleypumpkin 04.02.2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
well I just got the deal of the century on ebay. a mint condition (yes, unplayed) of Daydream, Blast First for $49.

a few thoughts:

- unbelievably quiet pressing, there is not a hint of surface noise on this.

- the fidelity is amazing. I'm hearing instrument seperation like never before. the tail-out of "The Sprawl" for example, the way the volumes have been mixed is really making itself apparent now.

- the slapback echo on the Thurston's vocals on "Silver Rocket". and just way the vocals sit in the mix generally. much more 'in' the music as opposed on top of it.

- only bummer: side B is slightly off centre, I'm getting a tiny bit of pitch wow/flutter. I can easily live with it though.

does anyone have both Blast First & Enigma's? how do they compare?

I have the BF/Enigma pressing, & I it sounds clear as a bell. The audio definiton is amazing, even better than the Deluxe Edition vinyl. So, I agree w/ you 100%.

Destroyed 04.02.2008 12:12 PM

Lucky Bastards

Protectmeyou 04.02.2008 12:18 PM

just keep your eye on ebay, buy now deals. vinyls from Japan (like this one) are usually in good nick

barnaclelapse 04.02.2008 10:46 PM

Damn.

I really need to start colelcting vinyl.

luckynumber9 04.05.2008 02:15 PM

I have the Blast First version with the silver labels in NM condition. It sounds great... I doubt there is much difference between the two versions because they are both Blast First pressings. The only difference is that the US version is marketed by Enigma and the international version is not. And of course, the Enigma one has dark orange labels instead of silver.

SonicBebs 04.05.2008 02:27 PM

i was listening to the cd today for the 1st time in ages. I never used to like it, but it is truly a great album! I'm so late...

dressedindreams 04.05.2008 06:09 PM

how does it compare to the deluxe version?

Protectmeyou 04.05.2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressedindreams
how does it compare to the deluxe version?

do you mean the deluxe vinyl or the cd?

I haven't heard the deluxe vinyl so i can't compare. As for the deluxe cd version, well that's easily the worst version out there - far too compressed and loud. Modern day mastering has a lot to anwer for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckynumber9
I have the Blast First version with the silver labels in NM condition. It sounds great... I doubt there is much difference between the two versions because they are both Blast First pressings. The only difference is that the US version is marketed by Enigma and the international version is not. And of course, the Enigma one has dark orange labels instead of silver.

thanks for that

dressedindreams 04.10.2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
do you mean the deluxe vinyl or the cd?

I meant the vinyl. someone already said the blast version was better, so i might need to find one.

As for the cd being the worst version, do you remember Geffen's reissue?

radarmaker 04.10.2008 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckynumber9
I doubt there is much difference between the two versions because they are both Blast First pressings. The only difference is that the US version is marketed by Enigma and the international version is not.

They're not the same pressing - Blast First copies are made in the UK, while Enigma's were pressed in Canada.
The Blast First version isn't an "international" version either, it's the UK release, albeit more widely exported than the others. There's also AuGoGo (Aus), Torso (Netherlands), GASA (Spain), DiDi (Greece) & Supernatural Organization (Japan) versions and probably more.

luckynumber9 04.10.2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
They're not the same pressing - Blast First copies are made in the UK, while Enigma's were pressed in Canada.
The Blast First version isn't an "international" version either, it's the UK release, albeit more widely exported than the others. There's also AuGoGo (Aus), Torso (Netherlands), GASA (Spain), DiDi (Greece) & Supernatural Organization (Japan) versions and probably more.

I stand corrected. Don't forget the Russian version!