Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   asp's classic albums # 100: ikara colt - chat and business (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=54672)

atsonicpark 07.14.2011 09:56 AM

asp's classic albums # 100: ikara colt - chat and business

I have loved this album to death for a long time, but I never see anyone ever talk about it (besides, y'know, THE IKARA CULT guy on here). God this album floored me back in the day. It's still one I can put on and I just love it. It's messy as hell in places, and there's so much energy. Great sloppy guitar hooks, throbbing bass, damaged and noisey but catchy as hell, and the drummer starts every single song with a single snare hit. Just a great album, one that deserves more attention, awesome band, and I am proud to put this as "classic album number one hundred".

So yeah.

ONE NOTE.

(which actually has two notes)

PAULYBEE2656 07.25.2011 01:39 PM

yes...great album and underrated band..
hey adam! drop us a line mate!

bloodcrystallisetosand 07.27.2011 05:38 AM

Yes! A bit of Ikara love is always a good idea. Such an amazing band, the b-sides off that first album are pretty killer too - check out 'Kite' with the lass singing (Tracey Bellaries, I think? Claire Ingram was the one who came in for the second album if memory serves), the line "I see everything in black and white/I see everything though your eyes" always gets me, lots of conviction. The drummer is shit hot, plays faster than anyone this side of Slayer. No flashiness, just pure fucking speed. The kind of album that makes you feel invincible - One Note comes roaring in as you leave the house and you WANT people to kick off so you can do 'em in. Second album, Modern Feeling, wasn't quite as good - more self-consciously poppy so the hooks were still there (killer hooks, too) but the shambling scuzz element was weakened a bit. Still worth a blast, mind.

atsonicpark 07.27.2011 02:35 PM

fuck yeah, one of the few bands where the b-sides are as good/sometimes better than the album tracks. always loved the instrumental "surf".

the drummer is one of my favorites of all time. what a badass.

SNARE HIT.

the ikara cult 07.27.2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Great stuff Adam!

Where can I find the "kite" track? Would love to hear it. Anyone has the Peel Session in MP3 they would be willing to share?

For all your rarity needs

And of course, i love this album. Im not sure i can adequately sum up why i love it without making it sound like the lamest thing in the world to both you and I. Its just great.

the ikara cult 07.27.2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Thanks for the link......but am I doing something wrong? When I click on one of the track links, I receive the following:

The webpage cannot be found

When I right click and "save as target" on a track link, I receive the following:

Internet Explorrer cannot download ecard.php from www epitaph com

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The webpage cannot be found

Its not my website actually, so im kinda stumped....

atsonicpark 07.27.2011 07:01 PM

SINK VENICE
Sink SINK VENICE

the ikara cult 07.27.2011 09:12 PM

the other links are working though

bloodcrystallisetosand 07.28.2011 09:19 AM

This is the Alka Seltzer Youth Club, sink or swim...

E. Noisefield 07.28.2011 08:49 PM

I definitely agree that this is a classic and very under-rated album.

Also agree about the b-sides/unreleased stuff. Top knotch.

atsonicpark 07.28.2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
This is the Alka Seltzer Youth Club, sink or swim...

love that fucking song.

I highly reccomend the basic instruction ep. "SO WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY? PANIC. PANIC." brilliant.

the ikara cult 02.06.2014 08:02 PM

God bless you Cooley for being the only other fucker on here who loved this album and this band as much as i do.