Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

noisereductions 04.22.2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact

this is amazing. Also, find the Nels Cline & Greg Bendian re-imagining. Crazy.

Antagon 04.22.2009 01:27 PM

Sacred Trickster

floatingslowly 04.22.2009 02:23 PM

sonic sphere 04.22.2009 02:55 PM

alice cooper-easy action

Derek 04.22.2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deflinus

Amazing album.

sonic sphere 04.22.2009 03:35 PM

rapeman-two nuns & a pack mule

Sonic Youth 37 04.22.2009 03:52 PM

Earlier:

Now:

Rob Instigator 04.22.2009 04:03 PM

these middle school kids playing Journey.

Recess, from Cleveland Ohio performing "Separate Ways" by Journey. Amazing 9 yr old vocalist Vincent Fondale, 11 yr old Alex Raz on lead guitar , 9 yr old Joey Sampson on drums, 12 yr old Alexis Shook on bass, and 13 yr old Anthony Fondale on Keyboards.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4809530/12833291

afterthefact 04.22.2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
this is amazing. Also, find the Nels Cline & Greg Bendian re-imagining. Crazy.

Yes! If I had sat down and listened to this album any time before 1999, it never would occured to me that anybody could make a decent cover (ahem, excuse me, re-imagining) of this on guitar, let alone one that may be just amazing.

I thought it was funny what allmusic.com said (yes, I had to go there to see exactly when the Cline version was released), "Cline's tastes run more towards the Stratocaster-in-a-garbage-disposal line, which means that a lot of Coltrane fans will run in terror from displays like the near-atonal freakout at the heart of "Leo."

Obviously the music itself is very different. Still, I see what he did as a perfectly linear progression from what Coltrane was doing in his day. If you were a Coltrane fan in '74, and you managed to keep your passion for new and exploratory delves into music over the years and not hang on to only what interested you at the time, then you would have to love Nels' version as well, and I feel it would hit you the same as Coltrane's Interstellar Space did when it was released.

Sonic Youth 37 04.22.2009 04:34 PM

SYRFox 04.22.2009 04:36 PM

viewtiful_alan 04.22.2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
these middle school kids playing Journey.

Recess, from Cleveland Ohio performing "Separate Ways" by Journey. Amazing 9 yr old vocalist Vincent Fondale, 11 yr old Alex Raz on lead guitar , 9 yr old Joey Sampson on drums, 12 yr old Alexis Shook on bass, and 13 yr old Anthony Fondale on Keyboards.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4809530/12833291

Are you a Journey fan...? I'm not sure its possible to be cool enough to be an Earth fan and like Journey (a sign of lameness).. either you are just that much more musically receptive than I or there is a lapse in taste.
Haha not trying to attack you and your taste (you like enough awesome stuff) but Journey... really?

Rob Instigator 04.22.2009 04:50 PM

I am not a JOurney fan. I just think it neat that a 9 year old kid can sing what is one of the most murdered karaoke songs ever.
the singer for Journey had like a 3 octave range, hard to do.

I first heard that song on MTV when I was like 9 years old. nostalgia.

Rob Instigator 04.22.2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Yes! If I had sat down and listened to this album any time before 1999, it never would occured to me that anybody could make a decent cover (ahem, excuse me, re-imagining) of this on guitar, let alone one that may be just amazing.

I thought it was funny what allmusic.com said (yes, I had to go there to see exactly when the Cline version was released), "Cline's tastes run more towards the Stratocaster-in-a-garbage-disposal line, which means that a lot of Coltrane fans will run in terror from displays like the near-atonal freakout at the heart of "Leo."

Obviously the music itself is very different. Still, I see what he did as a perfectly linear progression from what Coltrane was doing in his day. If you were a Coltrane fan in '74, and you managed to keep your passion for new and exploratory delves into music over the years and not hang on to only what interested you at the time, then you would have to love Nels' version as well, and I feel it would hit you the same as Coltrane's Interstellar Space did when it was released.

I need to hear BOTH of these.

viewtiful_alan 04.22.2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am not a JOurney fan. I just think it neat that a 9 year old kid can sing what is one of the most murdered karaoke songs ever.
the singer for Journey had like a 3 octave range, hard to do.

I first heard that song on MTV when I was like 9 years old. nostalgia.

Haha just making sure... eh really good (technically speaking) singers always seem to make really shitty music (with a few exceptions of course) and people with no real artistic taste lap it up as if music is the same as sport, admiring 'talent' rather than any damn creative ability to make interesting music. Then you have the other end that holds bands like Rush who can play like no body's business, try to experiment, but are just not fun to listen to (i.e. poor songwriting) I mean Sonic Youth write songs that are both complex and dynamic but memorable and catchy (to an extent..) so does Frank Zappa and Dinosaur Jr.
I'd take J. Mascis over some classicly trained hack like Yngwie Malmsteen any day.
tangent over

viewtiful_alan 04.22.2009 05:02 PM

I lied.

I mean part of what makes art art is the fact that it isn't limited to the standard definition of 'talent' or 'good'. In art a band like the Ramones can be put on the same list as the Beatles. I just really have a hard time respecting the taste of people who like only things that sound slick and/or are classicly accepted as 'good'. The same kind of people who think Transformers is one of the best movies ever.

deflinus 04.22.2009 05:54 PM

floatingslowly 04.22.2009 07:16 PM

automatic bzooty 04.22.2009 08:00 PM

SuperCreep 04.22.2009 10:19 PM

So psyched for tomorrow. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.