Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   At The Drive-In (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=318)

kingcoffee 05.31.2006 08:39 PM

I agree, At the Drive In were pretty great. Too bad they had to break up and start Mars Volta. They're still a good band, but it's lacking the creativity of At the Drive In. Unfortunate.

kingcoffee 05.31.2006 08:39 PM

Also, one of the members recently died of a heroin overdose.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.05.2006 04:30 AM

i really like the new mars volta song that was leaked

fyi: the guy who overdosed was the sound technician and jim wards cousin, not in the actual band

Everyneurotic 07.05.2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CircuitBent
The Mars volta is THE BEST band i have ever seen and i saw them about a year after sonic youth(my first real concert) and i've seen built to spill iron and wine, blond redhead, dinosaur jr., Interpol>(the worst band EVER in concert soooooooooo damn boring) BUT i never got to see ATDI

you should see slayer, after that, most bands will seem boring live.

porkmarras 07.05.2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche

Or one of the worst depending on some people's point of view.I saw The Mars volta live once and they were so dire i left 20 minutes into the gig.

ozZuB-ginK 07.05.2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

One of the greatest bands EVER.

so you hate the new sy record, but you like this band? haha give me a break, at the drive in is total trash.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.05.2006 02:05 PM

primus live rules

Norma J 07.05.2006 07:35 PM

At the Drive-In = GREAT
The Mars Volta = great
Sparta = great

Norma J 07.05.2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Or one of the worst depending on some people's point of view.I saw The Mars volta live once and they were so dire i left 20 minutes into the gig.

I saw the Mars Volta live a few years ago and they were fantastic. Totally amazing. Only other band that may supersede them live is The (International) Noise Conspiracy. Both must see bands live.

Sonic Youth 37 07.05.2006 07:46 PM

Mars Volta and ATDI are both great bands in their own ways. Sparta sucks though, Cedric and Omar made ATDI. "Televators" is one of the best songs to come out by a newer band in a long time.

Norma J 07.05.2006 07:51 PM

Jim made up a big chunk of At the Drive-In. He wrote alot of the music, without Jim, you wouldn't have had that band... well wouldn't have sounded anything like they did/do. He also made them listenable live, he was the guitarist actually playing, keeping things together, aswell as backing vocals. And not to mention Tony's drumming style is quite distinctive.

m^a(t)h 07.05.2006 07:53 PM

i dont like at the drive in, terrible band name...

Norma J 07.05.2006 08:18 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFME1...the%20drive-in

Watch this. Cedric tells the crowd what's up.

HAHA. That was awesome. That was from the Sydney Big Day Out. The crowd kept at it after Cedric and Jim telling them quite a few times to stop crowd surfing and slam dancing. They ended up walking off 15 minutes or so into the set, not to return, because of it.

HaydenAsche 07.05.2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozZuB-ginK
so you hate the new sy record, but you like this band? haha give me a break, at the drive in is total trash.

You like the Melvins. Your taste is void.

sandwich mulroney 07.05.2006 10:01 PM

I feel like there should have been an album between the first MV and the last ADTI albums... they were cresting towards something really good on Relationship and starting to backlside on Deloused, but neither ever released an album without some heavy degree of filler/crap on it.

Daycare Nation 07.05.2006 10:13 PM

I don't really care for them, based on what I've heard...or Mars Volta, either.

m^a(t)h 07.05.2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
They ended up walking off 15 minutes or so into the set, not to return, because of it.

its funny how certain bands get credit for walking off early on sets and then other bands get critisized...

Norma J 07.06.2006 01:40 AM

Well I give them credit for it - they stood up for what they believed was right. So they wouldn't have gotten paid for that show, and they were just starting to get a good name for themselves, with the media here claiming that Relationship of Command was at that time the most important album since Nevermind by Nirvana. So to walk off that short into their set, was not a very good career plan. But they still did it, and I think thats cool.
And they did get abit of shit for walking off, then the next year at the same festival a young girl got crushed to death in the pit from a crowd surge. After that, everyoen praised them for taking a strong stance on crowd behavior.

fishmonkey 07.06.2006 08:22 AM

Mars Volta are better that ATDI, whoever said ATDI was a shite name of a band hit the nail on the head also...

ahh fuck it, i could take or leave either band.

'cept Mars Volta.

fishmonkey 07.06.2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFME1...the%20drive-in

Watch this. Cedric tells the crowd what's up.

i watched this, turns out Cedric is a little bit of a diva. "You're all sheep, i think its a sad day when people have to express themselves thru slamdancing"

these are the same people who paid to see you play/were bothered enough to get themselves to that little tent where you are playing and TRY enjoy your preformance...... these people are sheep in the eyes of mighty Cedric..

whatever i thought of them before, i think a whole lot less now.