Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Album Thread: Murray Street (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=45305)

Mortte Jousimo 01.11.2011 01:49 PM

Album Thread: Murray Street

It seems people have interest to discuss Sonic albums again!

Murray street was to me second time when I felt like I got my old favourite band back. NYC ghosts was also a disappointment to me at first. I heard about half year after Murray releasing that there has come new sonic album from my neighbour. He said that it is melodic album, but I still had to listen it in the shop before I bought it. I listened only Empty Pages, Disconnected and Rain on Tin and I felt in love the album immediately!!! I took some while before I got the vinyl. They had sold all the copies out they have had, so the order took a while. I love the album as a whole, but I think Radical adults is not very strong song although it fits in the album well.

pad_023 01.11.2011 02:06 PM

One of my favourite Sonic Youth albums.

I still think Karen revisited is one of the best tracks they have wrote.

noisereductions 01.11.2011 02:32 PM

in my top 5

SYHamilton 01.11.2011 03:45 PM

The first three tracks are great, but it's kind of so-so after that for me.

noisereductions 01.11.2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYHamilton
The first three tracks are great, but it's kind of so-so after that for me.

that's odd considering "Karenology" and "Strawberry" are the best tracks on the album.

noisereductions 01.11.2011 04:11 PM

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...t+ess entials

dasx 01.11.2011 04:15 PM

I think Radical Adults is the best song on Murray Street. Whole album is good, but it's not on my SY top 5 albums list.

EVOLghost 01.11.2011 04:35 PM

Every song on this album is AMAZING.....except for Plastic SUn....It's just really good.

EVOLghost 01.11.2011 04:36 PM

Super short album but sure is sweet.

logicalharm 01.11.2011 10:17 PM

I was kinda indifferent to this album for a long time, then I bought the vinyl (because it was cheap and I had owned any vinyl of theirs yet) and it brought out a completely different monster. And an 11-minute Lee song? Hell yeah.

noisereductions 01.11.2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Every song on this album is AMAZING.....except for Plastic SUn....It's just really good.

"Plastic Sun" is the worst song on there, but even the worst song is awesome. That says something.

Mortte Jousimo 01.12.2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logicalharm
I was kinda indifferent to this album for a long time, then I bought the vinyl (because it was cheap and I had owned any vinyl of theirs yet) and it brought out a completely different monster. And an 11-minute Lee song? Hell yeah.

What do you mean? In discography pages is said that it is exactly same version about "Karen revisited" in cd as lp.

shabbray2.0 01.12.2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
that's odd considering "Karenology" and "Strawberry" are the best tracks on the album.

this seperates the thurston lovers, from the lee and/or kim lovers, I think.

but I definately agree with you on this one.
except for plastic sun this album is just sonic youth galore. and I even like that one.

edit: damn I almost said the same as noiseredux...

mil_pl 01.12.2011 12:16 PM

Sonic Nurse.

logicalharm 01.12.2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
What do you mean? In discography pages is said that it is exactly same version about "Karen revisited" in cd as lp.

Oh no, I guess what I meant was out of all of the albums, this one seemed to benefit MOST from the jump from crappy mp3->vinyl/lossless. Sometimes it's only a very subtle difference for me, but this was one time where it really popped.

Karen Revisited ALWAYS sounded awesome though :D

noisereductions 01.12.2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
this seperates the thurston lovers, from the lee and/or kim lovers, I think.

but I definately agree with you on this one.
except for plastic sun this album is just sonic youth galore. and I even like that one.

edit: damn I almost said the same as noiseredux...

well what's funny is I consider Thurston my favorite of the 3. But those two songs just blow my mind the most.

Mortte Jousimo 01.13.2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logicalharm
Oh no, I guess what I meant was out of all of the albums, this one seemed to benefit MOST from the jump from crappy mp3->vinyl/lossless. Sometimes it's only a very subtle difference for me, but this was one time where it really popped.

Karen Revisited ALWAYS sounded awesome though :D

To me itīs very hard to think I have some album only in mp3-format (I donīt have any albums in whole in mp3). I always burn cd:s from the library loans. I think Iīm that old that music has to be materialised in some way to me!

logicalharm 01.14.2011 02:14 PM

Yes, owning things is better...but last year I sorta snapped and was like *NEED EVERY SY ALBUM NOW* and that was that.