Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Kim Gordon Song? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21504)

✌➬ 04.27.2008 10:30 PM

Favorite Kim Gordon Song?

Sorry if this has been done, but can't find another thread about this.

Which one is yours?

I would have to say Bull in the Heather.

✌➬ 04.27.2008 10:35 PM

Oh yeah, Making the Nature Scene.

Death & the Maiden 04.27.2008 10:35 PM

I don't have one single favourite.
Protect Me You
Shadow of a Doubt
The Sprawl
'Cross The Breeze

Sonic Youth 37 04.27.2008 10:37 PM

'Cross the Breeze. No contest.

pantophobia 04.27.2008 10:42 PM

Doctor's Orders
Sweet Shine
Shaking Hell
Jams Run Free

barnaclelapse 04.27.2008 10:46 PM

I'm going with Cross The Breeze, too.

Green Magnesium 04.27.2008 10:59 PM

Becuz........................... um Shadow of a Doubt................ PCH?

Well I said that Becuz was my all-time favorite SY song... so I guess Becuz.

uhler 04.27.2008 11:02 PM

'cross the breeze and bull in the heather

Dead-Air 04.27.2008 11:29 PM

"Ghost Bitch" hands down.

Other Godhead: "Brother James", "Making the Nature Scene", "Shadow of a Doubt", "Brave Men Run", "Early American", "I Wanna Be Your Dog", "Shaking Hell", "Star Power", "I Dreamed I Dream"

I like some of her later vocals, and love some of the songs, but must say, it's her early vocal tracks that I absolutely love. This is not how I feel about Sonic Youth as a whole, but I can't think of a song after Evol I'd put her vocals in league with any of those. Which is not to say I don't love "Drunken Butterfly" or "Nevermind", it's just a different ballgame.

Dead-Air 04.27.2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
Becuz........................... um Shadow of a Doubt................ PCH?

Well I said that Becuz was my all-time favorite SY song... so I guess Becuz.

O.k., I take back what I just said above. I love the vocal on "Becuz" as much as one of those really early songs. "Ghost Bitch" is still the best though.

✌➬ 04.27.2008 11:32 PM

I think kim has improved so much in her vocals since they began. Her songs are more interesting now, than of Thurston.

Dead-Air 04.27.2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
I think kim has improved so much in her vocals since they began. Her songs are more interesting now, than of Thurston.

Yet you picked as your favorite song by her song, something from their 2nd album?

✌➬ 04.27.2008 11:37 PM

Yes, because that is one that I truly love. From their recent albums, I like The Neutral, Sympathy for the Strawberry, Patter Recognition. If they would have let kim do Rather Ripped by herself it would have been a better album.

Everyneurotic 04.27.2008 11:37 PM

'cross the breeze
brother james
orange rolls, angel's spit

those right now.

LittlePuppetBoy 04.27.2008 11:41 PM

Cross the Breeze
Swimsuit Issue
Eliminator JR

Dead-Air 04.27.2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
Yes, because that is one that I truly love. From their recent albums, I like The Neutral, Sympathy for the Strawberry, Patter Recognition. If they would have let kim do Rather Ripped by herself it would have been a better album.

I quite disagree, as I think "Or" is the one true great song on the record.

Kim made a slow but steady vocal change/evolution away from her roots that were very influenced by Lydia and more towards straight ahead rock. I think that's great in terms of finding her own voice, trouble is, I like the roots the best. The early records often times have this dark/spacey little girl quality to her vocals that I actually prefer to Lydia's mining of similar territory. Around about the Dirty era, I think she kind of thrashed her voice singing over the wall of guitars and it took on a raspy quality that has never quite left. It can and often is used to great effect, but if I had to pick favorites over all of their recorded history, I end up with the list I posted above.

neptuneg 04.27.2008 11:54 PM

I agree with the raspiness to some extent, but her Washing Machine vocals are very different than they are on any other record, especially in Becuz. They're harsh, but at the same time, they float along with the music.

Death & the Maiden 04.28.2008 12:25 AM

Also Bull in the Heather, Ghost Bitch and Brave Men Run.

atsonicpark 04.28.2008 12:50 AM

cross the breeze.

fluxequalsrad 04.28.2008 01:11 AM

Sweet Shine
Becuz
French Tickler