Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   And gay marriage is here to stay too! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=111981)

!@#$%! 06.26.2015 09:59 AM

And gay marriage is here to stay too!

lolol santorum

probably a redo of this:

-

best summer ever

Rob Instigator 06.26.2015 10:00 AM

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.
The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.
It is so ordered."

Final paragraph of Justive Kennedy's write up of the decision.

evollove 06.26.2015 10:00 AM

Welcome to the 21st Century, America.

!@#$%! 06.26.2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.
The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.
It is so ordered."

Final paragraph of Justive Kennedy's write up of the decision.

that got me a little teary-eyed

gmku 06.26.2015 10:16 AM

I am, of course, all for the right to gay marriage, but I remember some comedian joking a while back: "Marriage? Why do gay people want to make the same mistake we've made?" Or something like that.

gmku 06.26.2015 11:03 AM

My dad, bless his departed soul, was odd and funny, in a homophobic way. I never knew how he really felt until we had a conversation a few months before he died about a television show featuring gay characters. He said that he thought it was "awful" (his word) that a word that used to just mean "happy" or "merry" became used to mean homosexual.

I laughed and then realized he was serious.

"You know," he continued with a serious look on his face, "you can't say, 'I'm gay today!' if you're happy, like you used to be able to."

"Uh, no, Dad, you probably can't. And when was that, exactly, you could use it that way?"

"And 'gay' is used in all those old songs. I would ask kids to sing a song at school and it happened to have the word 'gay' in it and they all started snickering."

"Well, Dad, the world has changed."

"Used to be you could call those people 'light footed' or 'limp wristed' and everyone would know what you meant."

Ah, Dad, thinking to myself, how do I talk about this with someone who is old and dying? "Yeah, Dad, the world has changed."

LifeDistortion 06.26.2015 11:36 AM

Yes, it makes one genuinely proud to be an American when we reject and distance ourselves from our shameful past by getting rid of the Confederate flag and grant a liberty to Americans who have been fighting for this for so long. Feels like as a society we are truly moving forward and making progress that matters.

Rob Instigator 06.26.2015 11:55 AM

racist and homophobic people's lives will not change one goddamn bit because of these things yet they are acting like their world has come crashing down.... I laugh and laugh and laugh. made-up hardships.

gmku 06.26.2015 12:15 PM

Now if we could only get Kim and Thurston back together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Yes, it makes one genuinely proud to be an American when we reject and distance ourselves from our shameful past by getting rid of the Confederate flag and grant a liberty to Americans who have been fighting for this for so long. Feels like as a society we are truly moving forward and making progress that matters.

gmku 06.26.2015 12:18 PM

Yep.

I challenged my father once. I told him what he was saying sounded homophobic and is considered unacceptable by today's standards. He got this look on his face as if he'd smelled a fart.

When I would tell my two sisters about things like this, they would just say, "Oh, well, Dad is Dad, and he's just that way. He doesn't mean anything by it."

Quote:

racist and homophobic people's lives will not change one goddamn bit because of these things yet they are acting like their world has come crashing down.... I laugh and laugh and laugh. made-up hardships.

LifeDistortion 06.26.2015 12:29 PM

Well the only thing I'm a little bummed about is that I was hoping that if all the homophobic, religious people were right I'd finally get to see what a world that turned into a Lovecraftian hell world would look like, oh well.

!@#$%! 06.26.2015 12:31 PM

a couple of years ago i was having a conversation with my latin american mom & dad about legalizing gay marriage, and what's going on there etc. there is a lot of propaganda & scandalmongering so when my mom brought up one of those... points of view (not her own, but like everyone she repeats things she hears/reads) i kept out of the theory etc and just said "that is not religion, those views are just excuses for people to hate others, and to promote hate. just excuses. people jsut want to live their lives in peace. stop listening to that shit." and that was it. game/set/match.

evollove 06.26.2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Ah, Dad, thinking to myself, how do I talk about this with someone who is old and dying? "Yeah, Dad, the world has changed."

Part of me feels a little sympathy. A world that was once familiar has changed irrevocably. It must be difficult for some people to comprehend.

Yes, it's changed for the better. Yes, it's up to them to evolve.The ranters can fuck off, but those who are just sad and bewildered are pitiable. I dunno. Maybe I'm just being a faggot.

gmku 06.26.2015 12:59 PM

Yes. In a way, what my sisters were telling me, perhaps, is just that. My father decided to live in the past after my mother passed away when I was about 21. Lived there, clung to it, loved it. Everything was better in the past. Irrevocable changes, to anything, were tough for him to comprehend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Part of me feels a little sympathy. A world that was once familiar has changed irrevocably. It must be difficult for some people to comprehend.

Yes, it's changed for the better. Yes, it's up to them to evolve.The ranters can fuck off, but those who are just sad and bewildered are pitiable. I dunno. Maybe I'm just being a faggot.

Rob Instigator 06.26.2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Yep.

I challenged my father once. I told him what he was saying sounded homophobic and is considered unacceptable by today's standards. He got this look on his face as if he'd smelled a fart.

When I would tell my two sisters about things like this, they would just say, "Oh, well, Dad is Dad, and he's just that way. He doesn't mean anything by it."

People always excuse older people's racism and sexism and other isms (all culturally or familially taught) as "they don;t mean anything by it," when in fact they MEAN EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE SAYING!

gmku 06.26.2015 01:47 PM

I agree. What bothered me, too, was that my father was a supposed Kennedy Democrat. He even used to brag of voting for Adlai Stevenson for president. So, supposedly this liberal person... and yet he thought this way until the day he died.

Quote:

People always excuse older people's racism and sexism and other isms (all culturally or familially taught) as "they don;t mean anything by it," when in fact they MEAN EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE SAYING!

Rob Instigator 06.26.2015 01:51 PM

we all carry the ideas of those that taught us, and until challenged and thought about honestly and fully, we never get rid of them.

One man's liberality is another man's conservatism. that is why only the true idiots and truly gullible and truly mean-spirited try to divide all human thought into two extreme camps, right/left, conservative/liberal, believer/athiest, etc. It makes us easier to control, and excludes the vast majority who sit in the middle of any such spectrum.

gmku 06.26.2015 02:22 PM

Wise words, Rob. It's why I always stop and listen, and think, whenever my wife tells me this: "You know who you sound just like? Your father."

Uh. Oh oh. Check those assumptions, gmku.

Quote:

we all carry the ideas of those that taught us, and until challenged and thought about honestly and fully, we never get rid of them.

One man's liberality is another man's conservatism. that is why only the true idiots and truly gullible and truly mean-spirited try to divide all human thought into two extreme camps, right/left, conservative/liberal, believer/athiest, etc. It makes us easier to control, and excludes the vast majority who sit in the middle of any such spectrum.

Rob Instigator 06.26.2015 02:25 PM

same here. Only those than know us can tell us when we are reacting in our parent's voices. My wife lets me know for sure....

!@#$%! 06.26.2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

dammit, you on a roll today