Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth is my favorite band. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31262)

summer 05.12.2009 05:03 PM

Sonic Youth is my favorite band.

They released classic songs like Sugar Kane and Disappearer and Green Light and Stil and What a Waste and I Love Her All the Time and The Empty Page

OMG The Empty Page is my fav song ever.
Does anyone else feel this way

joe11121 05.12.2009 05:46 PM

SY is my favourite band too.

Better_Than_You 05.12.2009 06:57 PM

Sonic is my favorite place to eat. And youth are my favorite type of people.

Jasónico 05.12.2009 07:42 PM

Salud por eso!

atsonicpark 05.12.2009 07:56 PM

Summer stats:
Total posts - 248
Threads started - 63

canabero 05.12.2009 09:21 PM

yeah, i love them all the time

ybag_girl 05.12.2009 09:43 PM

yep... SY for ever and ever in my heart

Death & the Maiden 05.12.2009 09:44 PM

They're not my favourite, but I like some of their stuff a lot.

atsonicpark 05.12.2009 09:48 PM

Yeah, they're not my favorite band at all, but I keep posting here. I think this board is -- usually -- a good meeting of the minds, in general, though naturally there's a wide variety of users who almost exclusively listen to alt-rock radio..... there's still quite a few noise fans, drone fans, etc. That's why Sonic Youth is such a special band, and they transcend terms like "favorite" or "best" to me; they really unite LOTS of people from lots of different places, who have come together on this board. I mean, I think that's amazing, and that's exactly what Thurston himself (who releases something radio-friendly like "Trees" and then puts out 10 noise albums in a row) would want... I think SY are probably one of the only bands that can say that their fans love everything from Madonna to Merzbow and everything in between.

EVOLghost 05.12.2009 10:14 PM

They're pretty much my favorite....just can't see myself not listening to them.....

EVOLghost 05.12.2009 10:16 PM

They really opened my world to sound...I mean I really liked loud ugly guitars but...these guys really set me out there.

atsonicpark 05.12.2009 11:45 PM

happy 1000 posts evolghost!

Better_Than_You 05.12.2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think this board is -- usually -- a good meeting of the minds.

dittzo.

i didn't even listen to sonicyouth until a year after i registered.

exploding plastic candle 05.12.2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Yeah, they're not my favorite band at all, but I keep posting here. I think this board is -- usually -- a good meeting of the minds, in general, though naturally there's a wide variety of users who almost exclusively listen to alt-rock radio..... there's still quite a few noise fans, drone fans, etc. That's why Sonic Youth is such a special band, and they transcend terms like "favorite" or "best" to me; they really unite LOTS of people from lots of different places, who have come together on this board. I mean, I think that's amazing, and that's exactly what Thurston himself (who releases something radio-friendly like "Trees" and then puts out 10 noise albums in a row) would want... I think SY are probably one of the only bands that can say that their fans love everything from Madonna to Merzbow and everything in between.

well said. I think Pitchfork said something to that extent on their murray street review. possibly the only valid opinion I have ever read on that site.

for me, for now, the Youth are my favorite band. I doubt it'll be that way in a year or two when my lack of recent Bob Dylan consumption at the hands of Thurston & co. catches up with me.

EVOLghost 05.12.2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

happy 1000 posts evolghost!

OMG I remember a little while ago, but I forgot! AHHHHH LSD PARTY

EVOLghost 05.12.2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better_Than_You
dittzo.

i didn't even listen to sonicyouth until a year after i registered.

wtf.

Skuj 05.13.2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
They released classic songs like Sugar Kane and Disappearer and Green Light and Stil and What a Waste and I Love Her All the Time and The Empty Page

OMG The Empty Page is my fav song ever.
Does anyone else feel this way

Um....well....here's the thing:

I discovered them on EJTT+NS. I fuckin loved that album. Then I went back....to Dirty.....to Goo....to Daydream Fuckin Nation......and all the 80s stuff. And I said "Sonic Youth Fuckin Owns". And then, Washing Machine, A Million Leaves, and all of the superb 00s stuff too....fuckin 30 years of Topness. I'm awaiting Eternal all Frank Booth like.

Yeah.

Skuj 05.13.2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Well now you got me thinkin. I "discovered" Merzbow and New Blockaders and Conceptual Art and Acid Mothers and Fluxus and Godard and Finnegan's Wake (as well as some other works of Art) AFTER discovering Sonic Youth. Coincidence? I don't think so!

Skuj 05.13.2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
sonic youth, as far as my mind can tell, is a roadmap of what every band should strive to be. no necessarily in sound (even though the music they create is what makes them my personal fav band), but they way they approach music. the way they evolve. the way they support, not always the bigger/more fashionable bands, but the underdogs creating weird music not always so supportted by the masses.

sonic youth are an entity that can get away with virtually anything artistically. they could say "hey,our next record is going to be an accoustic folk album, total dylan meets young meets mitchell", and leave the fans curious/excited on some level. ...a band like metallica, who im not a fan of but acknowledge they were once really good at what they did, cuts off their hair and loses half their fan base...haha....probally good they never did a accoustic/folk or noise record.

i love sonic youth. ive met some of the most amazing minds ever as a result of being into that band. i find, while some sy fans can be a bit stubborn/snobbish regarding their tastes, they are almost ALWAYS intelligent/intellectual sorts.

the day that band breaks up/one of them dies...i will cry. i may not know all of them on a "lets have a beer level", but i consider their music to be one of the best friends ive ever had...i mean, sonic youth records always have my back. no matter what im feeling, theres something in their ever growing/HUGE catalog that speaks to me on a personal level.

im in love with what they do. if i could make physical love to it, i probally would. < as long as krissy could join in.

haha

This is what I'm sayin. Prefuckincisely.

greedrex 05.13.2009 02:56 AM

SYFTW