Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

demonrail666 10.02.2012 04:40 PM

Carl Hiaasen - Star Island

evollove 10.02.2012 04:41 PM

^ What's that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
Starting to read The Tempest; seems like pretty good stuff so far.

Gun to my head, my favorite.

demonrail666 10.02.2012 05:11 PM

Carl Hiaasen is a crime writer and Star Island is his latest novel, about a pop star loosely based on Britney Spears. His books are more funny than anything else but they really are (for me at least) always laugh out loud funny. His most famous book is probably Striptease, the one they made a film of, with Demi Moore. Not a great movie but an awesome novel.

evollove 10.02.2012 05:21 PM

I guess he is funny.

Now that I get the tone and subject of the book, that cherry on the cover gives me a chuckle.

Rob Instigator 10.03.2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
Wind-Up Bird Chronicles

just finished a collection of Tolstoy's short stories

wind up is an odd book!

loved it.

ilduclo 10.04.2012 11:14 AM

got this and just started, another example of well written unknown history

truncated 10.04.2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Carl Hiaasen is a crime writer and Star Island is his latest novel, about a pop star loosely based on Britney Spears. His books are more funny than anything else but they really are (for me at least) always laugh out loud funny. His most famous book is probably Striptease, the one they made a film of, with Demi Moore. Not a great movie but an awesome novel.

I've always wanted to try him out and have never gotten around to it. Other recommended titles?

For now, I am reading

For the third time. I <3 Douglas Coupland.

demonrail666 10.04.2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Other recommended titles?

They're all pretty good but my favourites are probably Double Whammy and Skin Tight.

truncated 10.04.2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

They're all pretty good but my favourites are probably Double Whammy and Skin Tight.

Yay, I'm excited! Even though I much prefer actual physical books, I caved and bought a Kindle Fire for convenience's sake, and I haven't devirginized it yet with any downloads. Perhaps I shall pop the cherry with Hiaasen.

Trama 10.08.2012 10:12 AM

I like my kindle. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a decent 7" 4:3 tablet, but I'll only be using it to read comics.

demonrail666 10.10.2012 04:47 PM

The Sacred and The Profane: An Investigation of Hipsters.

Ok but a bit heavy on the critical theory. A Vice article for Cultural Studies types.

demonrail666 11.09.2012 04:16 PM

Saul Bellow - Herzog

Depressed with everything right now so thought I'd dwell in another person's misery.

!@#$%! 11.09.2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Saul Bellow - Herzog

Depressed with everything right now so thought I'd dwell in another person's misery.

how come dude! is it the fucking change of season? i love fall weather but i hate what it does to my brain!

demonrail666 11.09.2012 04:27 PM

No, just work shit. I actually love winter more than any other season.

evollove 11.09.2012 04:43 PM

Anyone ever read HUMBOLDT'S GIFT? In many ways, my fav.

!@#$%! 11.09.2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

No, just work shit. I actually love winter more than any other season.

oh, you fucking northern peoples and your 16-hour nights

ha ha, anyway, i hope that shit gets sorted out soon man!

demonrail666 11.09.2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Anyone ever read HUMBOLDT'S GIFT? In many ways, my fav.

I've only read Herzog, which I love, and always want to read more of Bellow's stuff on the strength of it, but never know which one. So you've basically decided my next book purchase for me. Many thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i hope that shit gets sorted out soon man!

I'm sure a weekend's football will lighten me up a bit, but thanks nonetheless :)

E. Noisefield 11.10.2012 11:18 AM

Currently pushing through George RR Martin's Fevre Dream, and waiting for some Starks to show up. :p nah, it's a pretty good read. I just had the urge to re-read Ice and Fire, and am trying to stave it off. Gotta love the ritualistic slaughter of teenage slaves by aristocratic southern vampires. Go women's lib! ;)

sonic sphere 11.16.2012 08:06 AM

Count Mecha 11.16.2012 11:05 AM

Finished Captains Courageous the other day. Far too brief a novel really to get to know the characters. And any character development is very rushed. Harvey turns over his new leaf before like page thirty. The prose feels a bit dated, but doesn't really detract from the enjoyment, just makes reading it kind of odd. But yeah, nice fun little book.

After that I started Gardens of the Moon.

It's supposed to be really densely plotted and impossible to tell what's going on. I don't necessarily agree, more like alot is really shrouded in mystery, and it's definitely up to the reader to fill in some blanks. Terms and rituals aren't really explained just executed. Which is a really nice change of pace for me. Always irked me when in fantasy novels the plot would have to skid to a halt so this magical thing could be explained or this creature or whatever. Thankfully that happens very minimally here and always to good reason. but nothing too difficult. It's incredibly ripe with high fantasy concepts, all to pretty interesting effect. Divination, undead armies, soul transference, dimensional travel, units in armies are solely composed of wizards dedicated to mage warfare. And the gods are very hands on in this story apparently haha. At least three already are pulling strings of events. Anyway, pretty good, lots of fun.