Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

krastian 12.02.2009 09:17 PM

I haven't read a Stephen King book since like high school, but I liked the idea of the book so I gave it a shot. It's actually really good. I like how he didn't dick around for a 100 pages before the dome drops.....you start reading and boom, things start to get crazy.

I'm on page 750.

Can't wait for the HBO series that King said is in the works.

Glice 12.02.2009 09:23 PM

krastian! Haven't seen you round here in a time - how you been?

gmku 12.02.2009 09:24 PM

The Tropic of Cancer (a re-read)

krastian 12.02.2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
krastian! Haven't seen you round here in a time - how you been?

Not too bad....just busy with work and whatnot.

Thought I'd stop by and shoot the shit.

ilduclo 12.03.2009 02:10 PM

250 pp into Imperial by Wm Vollmann, that's like 1/4 of it, the guy is a sadist, but I like it. It's almost too heavy to read in bed....

demonrail666 12.11.2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k

this just arrived today so everything else has to go on hold

I just finished that today. I really liked it, especially his stuff on education, which i thought was spot on.

I read Alain Badiou's book on Sarkozy too, which I didn't really get into. I finished it but it was a bit of a slog, even for just over a hundred pages.He just seemed to be making the same point over and over again.

chairman of the bored 12.13.2009 12:34 PM

some poe...some whitman...keeping it 19th century for the winter

jerf 12.13.2009 02:36 PM

Shatner is the man.

[OSD]JaneVisions 12.13.2009 07:37 PM

Belladonna

ni'k 12.15.2009 12:13 PM

who was it that was reading the psychic soviet? my copy just arrived yesterday and holy shit is it great.

krastian 12.15.2009 08:50 PM

At times the language/vibe of the book reminds me of a horror novel because he loathes tennis so much.

Big props to Andre for writing this himself and not getting a ghost writer....it is a really smooth and enjoyable read.

cronopio 12.18.2009 03:42 PM

Currently reading this:

after a tiny feeling of disappointment about The Collector.

the ikara cult 12.18.2009 03:46 PM

Keeping It Simple 12.18.2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian

I haven't read a Stephen King book since like high school, but I liked the idea of the book so I gave it a shot. It's actually really good. I like how he didn't dick around for a 100 pages before the dome drops.....you start reading and boom, things start to get crazy.

I'm on page 750.

Can't wait for the HBO series that King said is in the works.

What is it? Sci-Fi? Horror? What?

Pookie 12.18.2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cronopio
Currently reading this:

after a tiny feeling of disappointment about The Collector.

Tripe.

Glice 12.19.2009 06:40 AM

Yeah, the Magus is the absolute paradigm of overwrought tosh.

Dead-Air 12.19.2009 11:21 AM

The Fall of the Towers by Samuel R. Delany

demonrail666 12.19.2009 11:22 AM

I haven't read The Magus in years but I do remember really liking it at the time (which would've been about twenty odd years ago). Probably best that I leave it at that. Maybe if I read it again now I'd feel different.:confused:

ni'k 12.19.2009 11:38 AM

i have spent months reading blogs that reference things i don't understand, at a loss as to which direction in philosophy to start in, i had a period were i thought i needed to work at hegel then marx but now i'm not so drawn to that area. i tried to have a go at badiou's theoretical writings but lack the proper conceptual grounding. when i have the net back i may try again since i can google at it to see if it opens up more. but at the moment i am very, very, interested in agamben/tiqqun and the points at which they converge. that, and gaining some sort of basic idea about what the hell speculative realism is all about. i've sustained myself thusfar on zizek and now have some slight insight into deleuze and a faint idea about what lacan was on about, altho i fear delving into him now when i have so much else to do. so first task is to get grounded in agamben and find the part of his work i have been obsessed with after reading an excerpt of on a blog and then forgetting.

demonrail666 12.19.2009 12:29 PM

I'm not qualified in any of this but I suppose a lot of the problems that come from starting with writers like Deleuze, Badiou, Zizek, etc, is that they all assume that their readers have an understanding of earlier more foundational writers and traditions. Glice, PBradley and some others here would be able to offer some good advice on that topic, although I imagine the best place to start would be with the Greeks.