Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

Bytor Peltor 02.04.2020 07:08 AM

—BREAKING NEWS—

FEC: Ilhan Omar’s Campaign Paid Half of Last Quarter of 2019 Budget to Alleged Boyfriend......didn’t a few of you think she was doing a swell job?

(not breaking, just a reminder)......was this ever determined?
FBI Investigating Claims That Rep. Ilhan Omar Married Her Brother To Get Him To U.S.

Bytor Peltor 02.04.2020 07:47 AM

Yesterday, Wall Street Journal reported:

Iowa's Top Election Official Dismisses Claim of Voter Fraud That Circulated on Twitter

—BREAKING NEWS—

@IowaSOS confirms "inactive" voters kept on voting rolls. Disinfo campaign ignores federal law that requires states clean up rolls. Iowa has 8 counties with more names on rolls than eligible voters???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Waking up to see that Iowa is in a meltdown......and we thought they knew how to caucus???

MSNBC reporting that Joe Biden’s lawyers are demanding —NO RESULTS— be reported until they are consulted

Just because Senator Joe Biden could call ahead and delay the departure of his Amtrak train doesn’t mean he can delay the reporting of the results......does it?

Weekend At Bernie’s Campaign announced they were in —FIRST PLACE— last night......looking doubtful this is what the results will show when the Iowa DEMS announce their results today.

Derek 02.04.2020 07:57 AM

Fuck sake, Ilhan did not marry her brother. What absolute racist bullshit.

Also Bernie's internal count says he came in first with 30%. Biden 4th with 12% ouch.

!@#$%! 02.04.2020 08:11 AM

trytor peltor again celebrating putin’s assistance? lmao

fortunately there’s a paper trail here so digital fuckups can be remedied

and yeah, he’s a fucking racist

Bytor Peltor 02.04.2020 09:04 AM

Guys, why is it racist to ask a simple question:

Quote:

I noticed neither of you shared a link showing that the FBI Investigation was over.

Neither of you provided a story stating the FBI never started such an investigation......yet each of you started slinging —RACIST—???

I must say I was somewhat taken aback this morning when reading the BREAKING NEWS about Ilhan Omar giving campaign budget funds to her boyfriend that somehow I missed these recent 2020 news stories regarding Omar’s supposed marriage to her brother:

January 26, 2020 FBI reviewing claims Ilhan Omar married her brother

January 26, 2020 Second Report Emerges Confirming Feds Reviewing Claims That Ilhan Omar Married Brother

January 27, 2020 FBI exploring evidence that Ilhan Omar may have married her brother: Report

January 27, 2020 FBI Investigating Whether Ilhan Omar Married Her Brother

January 27, 2020 FBI investigating whether Trump-hating congresswoman Ilhan Omar married her own brother to help him move to the US

February 2, 2020 FBI Investigating Claims That Rep. Ilhan Omar Married Her Brother To Get Him To U.S.

I’m willing to read any news story you can post where such an FBI Investigation isn’t taking place, but until then......keep your racist comments to yourself!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Fuck sake, Ilhan did not marry her brother. What absolute racist bullshit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
trytor peltor again celebrating putin’s assistance? lmao

fortunately there’s a paper trail here so digital fuckups can be remedied

and yeah, he’s a fucking racist

!@#$%! 02.04.2020 09:26 AM

lol @ beauregard parroting russian bots

anyway, enough with the yellow press, let's discuss trumpence's plans to cut medicare:

https://twitter.com/DrRobDavidson/st...56090713161728

tw2113 02.04.2020 09:31 AM

I've heard everyone was losing their shit last night over unofficial "instant result" reported data and needed to calm the fuck down until actually official results were tabulated and released.

Phones glued to our hands bit everyone in the ass with overreactions. So calm the fuck down, and check back in a day or two.

Bytor Peltor 02.04.2020 10:41 AM

Complete chaos: Results from Democratic Iowa caucuses delayed, candidates getting angry

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
I've heard everyone was losing their shit last night over unofficial "instant result" reported data and needed to calm the fuck down until actually official results were tabulated and released.

Phones glued to our hands bit everyone in the ass with overreactions. So calm the fuck down, and check back in a day or two.

Now this is an honest question, one I hope gets mentioned during tonights State Of The Union!

Quote:

ilduclo 02.04.2020 01:27 PM

Bye Bye Rush Limpdick

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...thank_smokers/

!@#$%! 02.04.2020 02:24 PM

Cockroaches of the Trump economy

Paul Krugman
February 4, 2020

A worker assembles cabinet doors at Riverside RV, builders of recreational vehicles, in Indiana in January.Brendan Smialowski/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Author Headshot

By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist

Today’s column is about zombie ideas, a term I didn’t invent but did, I think, do more than anyone else to popularize. As I explain, a zombie idea is one that should have been killed by evidence but just keeps shambling along, eating people’s brains; the two biggest zombies in U.S. politics are belief in the magical power of tax cuts and climate change denial.

I’m pretty sure, however, that I did invent the term “cockroach ideas,” which are false ideas that you do manage to get rid of for a while, but keep coming back. And it occurred to me that the current state of the U.S. economy offers an occasion to think about cockroaches past.

We are, of course, experiencing low unemployment. There’s no mystery about how we got here: Trump has engaged in deficit spending on an unprecedented scale for an economy with low unemployment. The 2019 deficit was about $300 billion more than the Congressional Budget Office projected in the summer of 2017, before the Trump tax cut. That’s a lot of fiscal stimulus, even if it was badly designed. In fact, it’s close to the increase in the deficit created by the Obama stimulus at its peak in 2010.

The real surprise is how hot we seem to be able to run the economy without inflationary pressures. Even I would have expected to see some acceleration of inflation at 3.5 percent unemployment. But the people who should really be surprised, and asking themselves how they got it so wrong, are the many, many Very Serious People who insisted, after the financial crisis, that high unemployment was “structural.”

That is, they rejected the notion that millions of Americans were jobless because of inadequate demand, a problem that could be solved by pumping up spending, say by investing in infrastructure. Instead, they declared that technology was eliminating jobs, and/or that Americans lacked the skills to be productive in the modern economy, and/or that Obamacare was destroying the incentives to work and discouraging the private sector from hiring.

You aren’t hearing those arguments much these days, although Andrew Yang has somehow built a campaign around the theme that runaway productivity growth is destroying jobs even as actual productivity growth is the lowest it has been in generations.

Why were claims of massive structural unemployment so popular six or seven years ago? Part of the answer, I suspect, is that these were also the years when conventional wisdom decided that the budget deficit, not mass unemployment, was our biggest problem — and it was inconvenient to accept the idea that fiscal austerity would keep unemployment high. So claiming that unemployment was structural was a way to avoid facing up to the costs of the deficit obsession.

Beyond that, however, some people have always found the notion that unemployment is basically a demand problem, easily solved by increasing government spending and printing more money, disturbing. It feels to them that big problems must have big causes, and can’t have easy solutions.

So every time we go through a period of high unemployment, claims that it’s structural pop up and get taken very seriously. It happened during the 1930s, when many people derided the idea that just spending more could restore full employment. Then, of course, came a major fiscal stimulus program, otherwise known as World War II, and suddenly all those unqualified Americans were fully and productively employed.

Anyway, the important point is that high unemployment was never structural, and the fact that we allowed it to persist for so long was a great tragedy — one for which the peddlers of cockroach ideas bear some responsibility.

Andrew Yang has nothing on Kurt Vonnegut, whose novel “Player Piano” depicted a society in which automation has destroyed work — right in the middle of the great postwar boom, a generation during which real wages and median family income doubled. Great novelist, bad economist.

Just to be clear: technology can destroy some jobs, and deal body blows to regional economies. A fascinating podcast on the rise and fall of Glasgow shipbuilding.

Feedback
If you’re enjoying what you’re reading, please consider recommending it to friends. They can sign up here. If you want to share your thoughts on an item in this week’s newsletter or on the newsletter in general, please email me at krugman-newsletter@nytimes.com.

choc e-Claire 02.04.2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

these recent 2020 news stories

The New York Post? The Daily Wire? blackamericaweb??? Jesus, man, you're either stupid enough to believe these are real sources, or stupid enough to believe that we wouldn't notice.

And we can call you racist when you seem to take way more interest in criticism of a Somalian-born Muslim, or an African-American, then you do in a white (or orange) politician.

tw2113 02.04.2020 05:05 PM

i live within a stone's throw of Iowa, so i can make fun of them if I want :P

!@#$%! 02.04.2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
i live within a stone's throw of Iowa, so i can make fun of them if I want :P

can you... cast the first stone? :D

ilduclo 02.04.2020 06:15 PM

is pronounced Ioway!

Bytor Peltor 02.04.2020 08:37 PM

Oh choc-E-choc, young juvenile, why are you so angry?

Your Somalian-born Muslim evidently misused campaign funds for her boyfriend. While reading news reports about that, I saw recent stories from last week concerning her possible marriage to her brother.

I shared each of those stories for the PURPOSE of others such as yourself to READ THEM!!!

You call me stupid for believing them, but I’ve stated no such thing!

I asked a simple question:

Quote:

Of course, in typical choc-E-choc style, you ignore the question. You provide zero links to news reports that she didn’t marry her brother or that she is no longer being investigated by the FBI.

Possibly you are saying that all those websites colluded to release the same —FALSE— stories all within a few days of each other last week??? I’m assuming they colluded because what are the odds each would randomly do so individually?

Quote:

anyway, enough with the yellow press

I understand why Symbol’s referred to those websites as yellow press, that’s why I said I was somewhat taken aback......not because I believed the story, because the numerous reports within a few days of each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
The New York Post? The Daily Wire? blackamericaweb??? Jesus, man, you're either stupid enough to believe these are real sources, or stupid enough to believe that we wouldn't notice.

And we can call you racist when you seem to take way more interest in criticism of a Somalian-born Muslim, or an African-American, then you do in a white (or orange) politician.

choc e-Claire 02.04.2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Oh choc-E-choc, young juvenile, why are you so angry?

Because, y'know, people my age who can't vote are being dicked over (and not in a fun way) by people who can? Hope I die before I become a reactionary boomer like you.

Bytor Peltor 02.04.2020 10:29 PM

Democrats hate Trump more than they love America

Speaker Of The House rips up the speech

Bitter Pelosi ripped up our last surviving Tuskegee Airmen who is 100.

Pelosi Vomit ripped up the survival of a child born at 21 weeks

Speaker of the Vomit ripped up the mourning families of Rocky Jones and Kayla Mueller

Sick Nancy ripped up a Service Members reunion with his family

This is her sad legacy!!!

Trump has highest approval rating of his Presidency

Trump gave a historic state of the union speech

Trump will be acquitted tomorrow!!!

Meanwhile in Iowa......DEMS can’t count a simple caucus result.

tw2113 02.05.2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

can you... cast the first stone? :D

bunch of Iowegians

!@#$%! 02.05.2020 06:53 AM

the presidential medal of freedom given to a racist piece of shit while a 100 year old tuskegee airman is sitting right next says it all

also a pity that savage clone erased his posts here

Bytor Peltor 02.05.2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

the presidential medal of freedom given to a racist piece of shit while a 100 year old tuskegee airman is sitting right next says it all

Earlier in the evening, President Trump pinned stars on Charles McGee in the Oval Office, bestowing upon him the prestigious position of Brigadier General.

Isn’t the Medal Of Freedom a civilian award?