Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bjork collaborates with Corsano and Timbaland on new album (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9965)

porkmarras 01.19.2007 12:09 PM

Bjork collaborates with Corsano and Timbaland on new album

We here at bjork.com/unity have received communication from our very own Meester Fly, and we are glad to post it now:

"It has not been snowing at all here, but today we are graced with snow. It is a few days after the hidden people and elves move home, if they have to. We are in Iceland. I arrived after a short absence of mind and body back into the HQ of the MWC. I got the word to get back on the case and gather some knowledge, as I of course, am truly the wise one.

Being the one and only I got sent new songs from Björk. These songs are to be on the new album she has been working on for the past months. She has been all around the world to record, working with numerous people from truly different background. I have been left with many thoughts after listening to these tracks, the first impression is that I want to hear more, as I did not get everything shortlisted for the record. It made me excited.

The only thing I have heard prior of the making of this new record was a collaboration with Timbaland was being penned in. They met for a couple of sessions and laid down some beats for two tracks, "then I took these tracks and worked on them further", says Björk. This is true, as I hear that she has taken them to a another level.

We speak about the many collaborators on this record and the list is very interesting as Antony Hegerty duets on two tracks. Drummer Chris Corsano jumps into at least the 2 songs. New sounds and instrumentation are provided by Toumani Diabate who plays the Kora and Konono nr.1 with electric thumb pianos. More percussive delights come from Brian Chippendale from Lightning Bolt Great artists being drafted into the fold!

This list is very impressive and intriguing and from this first batch of song create a very unique sound and emotion. Nothing sounds really familiar about this experience, apart from the name of Mark Bell, him I know. And Sjón, turns to form to deliver one lyric, his 5th lyric since they started work together. This record is a Björk production par excellence. No stone left unturned to seek out the perfect pitch.

And more work is being done in the next few weeks on the new record. It has not got a name. The record is scheduled for late spring release. Some of us have wished to see Björk live in concert.

Well. Björk will be going on the road and giving us long wanted concert recitals. Yes gigging again. I get to see who is the band, I'll be damned, I forgot. It is being finalised right now! From what I remember: We are in for a treat. I am promised to be there. Bien sur. Of-course. Að sjálfsögðu. More

porkmarras 01.19.2007 12:10 PM

And Konono No.1!!!!!

Fucking hell!I'll be really looking forward to this.

Iain 01.19.2007 12:39 PM

Odd. For a few reasons. My friend Tom was on about making a documentary about a guy who's "The best Kora player in the world" but no-one was interested...from the wikipedia link I imagine he was talking about Toumani Diabate. Maybe he'll have better luck now that he's playing on the new Bjork record. And Corsano and Konono No1? Odd but should be interesting.

val-holla-ing 01.19.2007 02:03 PM

holy cow! that sounds like awesome. hopefully it's better than "medulla" b/c rahzel just didn't cut it on that album.

Glice 01.19.2007 02:37 PM

I love Bjork. For several reasons, but mainly because she's right on the bleeding-edge of what's acceptable in proper pop. It's still brilliant pop music that your mum would like, but she brings in ridiculous people and makes it work.

nomowish 01.19.2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
holy cow! that sounds like awesome. hopefully it's better than "medulla" b/c rahzel just didn't cut it on that album.

hmmm, I disagree. My problem with it is that it felt like a collection of experiments, rather than a whole album. Nevertheless it's a pretty fine experiment. Especially the one she performed with the woman who made the sounds of a climaxing animal. A whole album of the two of them I'd be real down with.

porkmarras 01.19.2007 04:31 PM

How can you say that without having heard the record to start with?

Savage Clone 01.19.2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I love Bjork. For several reasons, but mainly because she's right on the bleeding-edge of what's acceptable in proper pop. It's still brilliant pop music that your mum would like, but she brings in ridiculous people and makes it work.

True on all counts, but she still has THAT VOICE, and that voice is a dealbreaker for me. Too deep a hate to transcend. I think I am allergic to that voice. She is talented and tries to do interesting things and for that I salute her, but wow do I hate that voice.

k-krack 01.19.2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
True on all counts, but she still has THAT VOICE, and that voice is a dealbreaker for me. Too deep a hate to transcend. I think I am allergic to that voice. She is talented and tries to do interesting things and for that I salute her, but wow do I hate that voice.

My thoughts exactly. Just like Joanna Newsom.

Pookie 01.19.2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

I fell in love with THAT VOICE when I first heard KUKL (about 1984). The fact that I didn't know what she looked like just added to the appeal.

Agreed about Joanna Newsom, mind.

porkmarras 01.19.2007 04:51 PM

She's in a particular position as i CAN'T stand her voice but i totally respect her as an artist.

Glice 01.19.2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
She's in a particular position as i CAN'T stand her voice but i totally respect her as an artist.

I'm surprised by both of these comments. Especially as both of you seem to like Diamanda, who has a far more obnoxious voice (albeit with a range that anyone outside of opera would kill for).

!@#$%! 01.19.2007 07:25 PM

oh, fools, what fools, she has a lovely voice.

i've been listening to joanna newsom lately and i have to say not only have i gotten accustome to her voice but i've began to enjoy it. kittenish & yummy. hmmmmmmm.....

porkmarras 01.19.2007 07:33 PM

I'm peculiar when it comes to voices.I'm not here to be right or anything but Bjork's voice irritates me.Diamanda's doesn't.That's all there is to it.

!@#$%! 01.19.2007 07:34 PM

i get interminable boners listening to bjork. call me lucky i guess. :p

porkmarras 01.19.2007 07:38 PM

I think the image that you call a signature takes space.A lot of it.Can you stop it now?

Glice 01.19.2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I'm peculiar when it comes to voices.I'm not here to be right or anything but Bjork's voice irritates me.Diamanda's doesn't.That's all there is to it.

I haven't got a solid case. I don't like Bowie, and that's purely and entirely down to the fact his voice makes me want to eat babies' limbs.

porkmarras 01.19.2007 07:42 PM

There you go mate.Is yours a banana?

Glice 01.19.2007 07:44 PM

Was that a racial comment?

porkmarras 01.19.2007 07:47 PM

You made the mental association of bananas and black people.You're obviously racist by the look of it......shame......robotic shame.........shame..............shame.