Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UFC (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33857)

Zombie Robot 08.24.2009 01:08 AM

UFC

its huge in US, is it big/followed any where else?

does anyone here watch it? thoughts?

im watchn the jackson vs jardine fight rt now and the staredown was classic. haha.

EVOLghost 08.24.2009 01:15 AM

A lot of my friends are all huge followers of this. Though I just watch to see someone (hopefully)get beat up. I just hate when they go queer and wrestle. And I also have a friend who actually does MMA.

but yeh. I don't follow it.

Zombie Robot 08.24.2009 01:21 AM

yeah, its hard for me to imagine many sy fans actually being into it.

i dont 'follow' it either. a machizmo friend actually got me 'interested' (when nothn else is on). i used to just get drunk and talk shit the whole fight, about how it was all about the buttlove, esp when they wrestled and had one another bent over.

but i luv those moments where u the viewer actually tense up and seem to hurt from the hit.

i am also fascinated and totally disgusted by the 'cauliflower' ear.

Sonic Youth 37 08.24.2009 01:27 AM

Two words: Royce Gracie. I honestly haven't seen any UFC since I was about 7.

pbradley 08.24.2009 02:34 AM

My accounting teacher spent all of time trying to get myself and the rest of the class into UFC fighting. We took the correct line of action and ignored the shit out of him.

Toilet & Bowels 08.24.2009 04:43 AM

Whenever I've seen it it's just been one guy sitting on another guys chest and punching him in the face

Green_mind 08.24.2009 05:20 AM

I don't follow it like, but melvin "no mercy" manhoef is a legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp-lA3gfHKI

gmku 08.24.2009 05:31 AM

I have a redneck acquaintance who's into it. I can't stand it myself.

wellcharge 08.24.2009 10:29 AM

it's annoying to watch now since it's got so big they spend so much time pushing products, and shitty ones like tap out shirts... that the events are more or less unwatchable to me, and the ufc compilation cds are the worst cds you can buy.

it's still an excellent sport, you have to be pretty strong, chuck liddel shook my hand and it hurt really bad so i can just imagine what it would feel like for him to kick you in the face haha

dirty bunny 08.24.2009 10:49 AM

I've seen commercials for it, that's it. It looks dirty- and not in a good way ;)

Like they might as well be girls pulling each other's hair. I mean, hitting somebody after they hit the ground just seems so wrong to me. At least with boxing their are rules. I can actually enjoy a boxing match, when there is absolutely nothing else on, and the two fighters are well-matched. But as for "ultimate" fighting, no no no no no. And no.

wellcharge 08.24.2009 11:03 AM

at least there's rules in boxing?

in boxing knocked down fighters go down and get back up and get hit again, fall again, over and over, that's a hundred more times more dangerous than hitting someone who's down, not to mention most people end up on the ground due to grappling takedowns and not kicks to the jaw. There are a huge amount MORE rules in mixed martial arts and it's generally considered to be safer than boxing

Savage Clone 08.24.2009 11:32 AM

Spectator sports are stupid.
This one is just barely less stupid than NASCAR, but still stupid as fuck.

wellcharge 08.24.2009 11:36 AM

you're just begging to be rear naked choked

!@#$%! 08.24.2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
its huge in US, is it big/followed any where else?

does anyone here watch it? thoughts?

im watchn the jackson vs jardine fight rt now and the staredown was classic. haha.

i know a guy who does this shit

it's pathetic

wellcharge 08.24.2009 11:38 AM

Savage Clone 08.24.2009 11:39 AM

I wish we could just cut to the fucking chase and bring back the goddamned Circus Maximus already.

!@#$%! 08.24.2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge

^^^ THIS

Kegmama 08.24.2009 11:47 AM

My 6yr old has been doing Tae Kwon Doe for the past year. He is learning all elements of martial arts that includes weapons training (chucks, sticks, stars, etc). He's in this black belt club that instills focus, teamwork, control, balance, memory, discipline, fitness & coordination; we totally love it. But if he was to ever want to do something like this I think I would die.

Zombie Robot 08.24.2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
i am also fascinated and totally disgusted by the 'cauliflower' ear.

is no one else amazed & horrified by this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower_ear

Glice 08.24.2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I wish we could just cut to the fucking chase and bring back the goddamned Circus Maximus already.

I'd like to see public floggings of goths.

"Oh yeah, I'm really into, like, the burlesque thing, you know? Like, really freaky shit?"

Fucking goths. Miserable, useless, asinine, self-congratulatory wankers, the lot of them.