Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   On A Scale Of 1 To 10, How Happy Are You? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40739)

Skuj 08.01.2010 11:20 PM

On A Scale Of 1 To 10, How Happy Are You?

And, do you agree that Happiness is the most important thing in life?

GeneticKiss 08.01.2010 11:24 PM

And yes

Savage Clone 08.01.2010 11:28 PM

"Happiness" is an ideal that is never achieved. I strive for tolerability and satisfaction with attempts to live on my own terms.

My happiness quotient at the moment is measured in deep negative numbers.

!@#$%! 08.01.2010 11:35 PM

happiness is very important, but constant happiness is impossible. i have moments of happiness every day, but i couldn't get shit done if i was always "happy". then again working out in the morning makes me ooze endorphins for a good chunk of the day. but is that "happiness"? not sure. without a measure of pain and suffering nothing would ever get done though. although zen people tend to think of this differently-- and think of happiness differently as well.

satisfaction would be a more measurable goal for me-- with your life, family, friends, work, etc-- in that sense, i'm very satisfied with some things (personal) and very unsatisfied with others (work). that is good, because i am in a middle of a lot of changes-- without dissatisfaction one would be stuck forever in a rut-- but then it wouldn't be painful, would it? hm... i've never been satisified with everything, so i wouldn't know. but it's nice to dream.

so... tough question. "am i happy." yes, i am not miserable. but i have my share of sorrows, frustrations and worries... i don't know if i could put a reductive number to all of this complexity. ask me again next year.

artsygrrl 08.02.2010 12:47 AM

The big smile on your avatar makes me incredibly happy....that I don't look like that and hopefully never will!
...I'll have to think about your thread before I post a more serious response.

jennthebenn 08.02.2010 12:50 AM

Post- a great concert is not an accurate barometer of my felicity.

I've been unemployed less than a week; I'm scared I'll lose my place.

I have a lot of people who like me, or say they do; I have others still
who say they love me.

I have a lot of people that I like, and know I do; I have others still that
I love.

I have a real talent that can take me as far as I let it.

I'd say, then...5. I could go up, could go down.

pbradley 08.02.2010 01:08 AM

I was in a state of non-reflective well-being before you asked.

Now I'm not happy.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 08.02.2010 01:12 AM

Skuj 08.02.2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artsygrrl
The big smile on your avatar makes me incredibly happy....that I don't look like that and hopefully never will!
...I'll have to think about your thread before I post a more serious response.

But that's Bobby Fuckin Peru.

Skuj 08.02.2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue

You Motherfucker. Fuck you Man.

pbradley 08.02.2010 01:38 AM

Count Mecha 08.02.2010 02:06 AM

I feel like there's a bit I could say about this, but bizarrely I can't think of much for the moment, maybe tomorrow.

Either way, I certainly wouldn't consider myself happy, though it's not that difficult to distract myself from this fact. But I don't feel discontent enough to say that I'm flat out unhappy. I guess I attach too much of a binary posture to such a question, which really demeans it I think unfortunately. I have some friends that are extremely unhappy, and full of extremely woeful phrases involving feeling empty inside, constant states of regret, turmoil, whatever, occasional bouts of suicidal meditations.

So when I think of unhappiness I guess I unwisely think in those extremes as opposed to realizing my own merely vague and dull sense of unhappiness that has fewer suicidal considerations. Perhaps I'm just confusing unhappiness with crippling depression. I dunno, complex topic.

In any case, I guess I'd say 4.5 and that for the most part I agree with !@#$%!. Satisfaction is a much more healthy and realistic objective. Actually I'd say that's what my issue is, I have a much easier time saying I'm extremely unsatisfied than saying I'm unhappy.

_slavo_ 08.02.2010 02:06 AM

Pbradley, you're in Jeonju! I was planning to go down there, but turned down the idea because it was quite a detour.

Back to the topic, 6.5 at the moment.

FreshChops 08.02.2010 02:07 AM

7-8

EVOLghost 08.02.2010 02:13 AM

3.5 after this weekend...but since SY was involved.....13.5

space 08.02.2010 02:52 AM

these knobs go to 11.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.02.2010 03:12 AM

I could be happier, but I'm certainly not complaining. I usually hang around a 3 or a 4. I have some money in my wallet, and more Scream 4 extra work, & The Gathering of the Juggalos coming up. Despite my troubles with my latest film, I'm just chillin' for now.

ploesj 08.02.2010 05:31 AM

8-9

in general i'm a happy person, i'm satisfied with who i am and what i have and i realise i'm lucky to have it. plus, good stuff keeps happening and outnumbers the bad stuff!

Toilet & Bowels 08.02.2010 07:31 AM

4 or 5

SONIC GAIL 08.02.2010 11:07 AM

1 on somedays 20 on others today......8