Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   King Of The Beach (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40975)

screamingskull 08.15.2010 11:28 AM

King Of The Beach

by Wavves is very good, i am surprised

you guys like them?

TheFoxBen 08.15.2010 11:39 AM

My favorite album of the year.

Seriously, it's almost a masterpiece in my book.

screamingskull 08.15.2010 11:44 AM

i got it on LP, because the art work is amazing, and i liked Wavvves, i didn't expect it to be this good

TheFoxBen 08.15.2010 11:47 AM

Yeah, I bought it on CD last week, I was surprised 'cause I didn't know it was already out here in Europe (Amazon said August 30th).

Also, I almost missed it 'cause they displayed an other cover :mad:

screamingskull 08.15.2010 11:51 AM

i had pre-ordered the vinyl copy a while back, it arrived a week ago? but i only just around to listening to it.

whats your favourite song?

mine is Baseball Cards

TheFoxBen 08.15.2010 11:54 AM

Seriously I love all the songs (Convertible Balloon and When Will You Come being my least favorite) but if I had to choose my three favorite songs, it would be: Mickey Mouse, King of the Beach and Super Soaker.

Derek 08.15.2010 04:22 PM

awaiting copious amounts of "it sucks!!!"

TheFoxBen 08.15.2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
awaiting copious amounts of "it sucks!!!"

Yeah, I guess it is quite hated on this board... Well, you guys can say you don't like it and explain why but I'm happy to see a thread about King of the Beach so please don't ruin it by simply saying "it sucks".

EVOLghost 08.15.2010 04:40 PM

I never did get into wavves. a friend from school did try to get me to listen, but I just wasn't too fond of the sound they're putting out. but yeah that cover art is pretty awesome though.

TheFoxBen 08.15.2010 04:49 PM

Well, to me, it's just a really really cool album, I don't try to look further, I listened to it and now, I always come back to it. I love all the songs on it and I think it's really one of the most "fun" albums I've ever heard. This is the kind of record that actually makes me wanna grab a guitar (even though I can't play) and just have fun... To me, this album is just full of great ideas and it's one of the only albums I played at least 15 times this year so yeah, it has a really power on me.

I don't like Blink-182 though and I don't see the comparisons... Maybe only on "Post Acid", which is awesome. To me, this album is more like Nirvana meets Animal Collective in a surf punk way.

And by the way, I really dislike his first two albums, I love lo-fi music but these ones... I just don't like the sound, AT ALL. Also, it seems like everyone is picking on Nathan Williams because of what he did or said... I don't really care if he's considered to be a prick or something, the guy made an album I love.

Genteel Death 08.16.2010 02:45 AM

Post pictures of people surfing or sunbathing please.

lucyrulesok 08.16.2010 02:49 AM

hmmm. i havent listened to this yet. im not the hugest wavves fan but i've seen em live a few times and its always super-fun.

i saw them in a nursery school in dalston and you could bring your own booze. awesome. so maybe i will dl this and see if i like it then maybe buy the record. hmm.

atsonicpark 08.16.2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFoxBen
Well, to me, it's just a really really cool album, I don't try to look further, I listened to it and now, I always come back to it. I love all the songs on it and I think it's really one of the most "fun" albums I've ever heard. This is the kind of record that actually makes me wanna grab a guitar (even though I can't play) and just have fun... To me, this album is just full of great ideas and it's one of the only albums I played at least 15 times this year so yeah, it has a really power on me.

I don't like Blink-182 though and I don't see the comparisons... Maybe only on "Post Acid", which is awesome. To me, this album is more like Nirvana meets Animal Collective in a surf punk way.

And by the way, I really dislike his first two albums, I love lo-fi music but these ones... I just don't like the sound, AT ALL. Also, it seems like everyone is picking on Nathan Williams because of what he did or said... I don't really care if he's considered to be a prick or something, the guy made an album I love.

Actually, you can play this album, if you have two fingers and an intense interest in all things power chord.

Anyway, you're right, it doesn't sound like Blink; it sounds like Blink slowed down. This dude LOVES Blink and GReen Day and such, that was his inspiration for the album... so, uh, yeah.

Uh... "Nirvana meets Animal Collective in surf punk way"? I know I shouldn't try to make sense of that quote but.. okay, Nirvana.. both bands use power chords.. Animal Collective? That's tough. I guess both bands have melodies that go "ohhhhh". Surf? There is no surf on King of the Beach, besides in the lyrics. "Surf punk" would be, like, Agent Orange...

Anyway, I'm just having fun with you...

TheFoxBen 08.16.2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Nirvana meets Animal Collective in surf punk way"? I know I shouldn't try to make sense of that quote but.. okay, Nirvana.. both bands use power chords.. Animal Collective? That's tough. I guess both bands have melodies that go "ohhhhh". Surf? There is no surf on King of the Beach, besides in the lyrics. "Surf punk" would be, like, Agent Orange.

Well, that's actually the picture I get. "Baseball Cards" and "Mickey Mouse" definitely have an Animal Collective feel to them. You can feel the Nirvana influence on "Green Eyes", "Take on the World" and "Linus Spacehead", not only in the power chords but even in the vocals (the "soooooomething" part in "Take on the World" for example). As for the "surf punk" thing, I said that because it's basically the theme of the album: the beach, the surf, all that shit. And it's quite punk (of course not as "surf punk" as Agent Orange, which is one of my favorite punk bands by the way, but still quite punk).

Anyway, I repeat myself but I really love this album :D

atsonicpark 08.16.2010 07:00 AM

Well, you'd love Crazy For You by Best Coast. It's actually quite good. It has -- get this -- a kitty on the cover, too!

TheFoxBen 08.16.2010 07:01 AM

Yeah, I have it but didn't give it a chance yet. I love "Boyfriend" though so I'll probably like the whole thing !

atsonicpark 08.16.2010 07:08 AM

Yeah, I mean it;s really simple and straightforward -- in a good way; it's melodically pleasing, fun to listen to, and just has a nice sound to it. Though it kinda just sounds like Vivian Girls without the noise, and there are vocals 99% of the time, when there could be a nice little guitar solo or something. Nitpicking aside, it's a good album, I like it a lot.

TheFoxBen 08.16.2010 08:24 AM

Hey Adam, your avatar, I know this picture... What is it again ?

Also, it reminds me of an Apples in Stereo cover.

TheFoxBen 08.16.2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
it's the de stijl art movement. Look it up on google.

Very nice !

Genteel Death 08.16.2010 10:08 AM

Minimal Wavve