Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   religion (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4501)

remy 07.25.2006 10:58 PM

religion

does any member of sonic youth practice any type of religion? Does any body know what are their views on religion?

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 10:59 PM

kim and thurston had a catholic wedding.

golden child 07.25.2006 11:00 PM

they dont practice! they are pros!

badgercorn 07.26.2006 05:57 AM

I think Thurston was brought up Catholic? I might be wrong. I think Catholic Block and White Cross are references to that.

kingcoffee 07.26.2006 07:59 AM

Thurston was brought up catholic. He has a tattoo of a Latin cross on his left upper arm. Lee is Italian so he was most likely brought up Catholic, too. I don't know if any of the band members are still practicing Christians or other faiths. They probably all grew up with some sort of religious tenets considering that 90% of Americans consider themselves religious.

Lipslikewindows 07.26.2006 09:32 AM

I think I read a quote a while back from Lee: "as a pacifist and a Buddhist..."

remy 07.26.2006 11:46 PM

i thought that they were satanists or athiests .

Cantankerous 07.26.2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Thurston was brought up catholic. He has a tattoo of a Latin cross on his left upper arm. Lee is Italian so he was most likely brought up Catholic, too. I don't know if any of the band members are still practicing Christians or other faiths. They probably all grew up with some sort of religious tenets considering that 90% of Americans consider themselves religious.

thurston does not have a tattoo!

pantophobia 07.26.2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
thurston does not have a tattoo!

look around for pics, it's on his upper left arm, he's had it for over 20 years

Cantankerous 07.26.2006 11:58 PM

upper-upper? like towards the shoulder? his sleeves are usually too long to see.

:eek:!

acousticrock87 07.27.2006 12:06 AM

http://www.spikemagazine.com/0600thurstonmoore.php

"Adolescent prose aside, this brief fusion of flesh meant more than just two badly dressed kids getting it on in a seedy loft apartment. It meant that Moore would soon tattoo his upper left arm with the prophetic words, 'Sonic Life', and the band we all know, and mostly love would soon follow."

I don't know how trustworthy that source is though.

Cantankerous 07.27.2006 12:10 AM

so he has the sonic life cross?
when did he get that done?

acousticrock87 07.27.2006 12:14 AM

It must have been pre-Sister if it said "prophetic."

jennthebenn 07.27.2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
It must have been pre-Sister if it said "prophetic."

per a 1995 papermag article, thurston got the tattoo "in lieu of a wedding
ring". a 1990 alternative press cover story claims kim was the one who
actually gave him the tattoo.

pretty good pic of it, doesn't show the entire thing, but still cool:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1813/84wb.jpg

whorefrost 07.27.2006 10:29 AM

thurston also took an interest in buddhism at some point in the 90s i believe, i don't know to what extent and if he still maintains this interest...

kingcoffee 07.30.2006 04:54 PM

Why the fuck does everyone think that Sonic Youth are Satanists? I keep hearing this ridiculous accusation! Almost no one in the world are Satanists! Most of the people who classify themselves as Satanists are just mopey idiots who do it to piss people off, where as the few, real Satanists are just left over druids and morons. It just as dumb as worshiping some other unknown entity that no one has ever seen, heard from or will ever know.

The existance of a higher power such as God or any concept of a god-like being is beyond human comprehension. It is futile to try and pin down anything that is supernatural in relation to supreme beings. Not to say that we as humans cannot wonder, theorize and postulate the meaning of life, our place in the universe and the possible (but thoroughly unsubstantiated) existance of God or gods, but it is utterly ridiculous to say that we know what God is or how God works and what God wants us to do. If you ask me (which no one ever has) every single religion on the planet Earth has got it wrong. No one has figured out what God is or what God wants from us all. NOt to say that religions don't have some things in the right order. Most religions preach peace and understanding of other people and most religious people are generally good people. But it is just plain ridiculousness to think that there is only one religion (your's) and everyone else (who doesn't believe in yr religious tenets) is wrong. To a degree, everyone is wrong; some people may have some things right, but overall, it's still wrong.

acousticrock87 07.30.2006 05:00 PM

It's ridiculous to say that we know, but not that "this is more likely than that." And that is what religion is.

But the Satanist thing is a joke...

Trasher02 07.30.2006 05:01 PM

Thurston has a tattoo? how gay is that!

Religions are ignorant.
There is no god or anything else.

kingcoffee 07.30.2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Thurston has a tattoo? how gay is that!

Religion are ignorant.
There is no god or anything else.

"Religion are ignorant"? Wow, 'nuff said.

I beleive you meant to say religions are ignorant.
Once again, you too are incorrect in yr beliefs. There is no way that you can know that God does not exist. There is no proof of God's existance but there is also probably no way to prove the existance of God. It's a paradox. Then existance of God is unable to be proved and unable to be disproved.

kingcoffee 07.30.2006 05:08 PM

Also, what's wrong with having a tattoo? People have been tattooing themselves for thousands of years! It's a human cultural institution. It's more prevalent throughout human history than marriage (maybe, I don't really know if that is true, but it could be). And why is it "gay"? He doesn't have a tatto of two cowboys eating pudding while they fuck each other in the ass! Now THAT would be "gay". The tattoo means something very important to him. Let him have his tattoo. It's just when people get dumb tattoo's of stupid things for all the wrong reasons is when tattoo's get annoying.