Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best new/most anticipated albums of 2021 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=123576)

The Soup Nazi 12.20.2020 09:19 PM

Best new/most anticipated albums of 2021
 
Kinda weird to start this thread without having listed my favorites from 2020 yet, but I felt I hadda do it. Sorry Sev! ;):)

- Is This Desire? Demos - PJ Harvey (January 29)

- 1970 - Bob Dylan (February 26). No, it's not a cover of the Stooges song (that would be awesome, by the way); it's the Bob + George Harrison seshs from that year.

Skuj 12.20.2020 09:49 PM

Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club.

Moshe 12.21.2020 09:29 AM

Arabrot
Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark
Ka Baird - Vivification Exercises I
Courtney Barnett
Big ‡ Brave
Big ‡ Brave & The Body
Black Country, New Road - For The First Time
The Body - I've Seen All I Need To See
Body/Head
Bonnacons of Doom
Bossk
Daniel Bachman
Meg Baird
Melvins - Working With God
Converge
Crowbar
Cult of Luna - The Raging River
The Cure
Deafheaven
Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club
Dinosaur Jr.
Duran Duran
Bob Dylan ‎- 50th Anniversary Collection: 1970
Danny Elfman
Fiery Furnaces
Fire! - Defeat
Elephant9 - Arrival Of The New Elders
Gazelle Twin & NYX - Deep England
Steve Gunn
Idles
Kendrick Lamar
Laniakea
Lingua Ignota
Loop
Mastodon
Mono
Mogwai - As the Love Continues
Kacey Musgraves
My Bloody Valentine
Mythic Sunship
New Bums - Last Time I Saw Grace
Ozzy Osbourne
Jo Quail - The Cartographer
Rihanna
The Ruins Of Beverast - The Thule Grimories
Todd Rundgren - Space Force
Emma Ruth Rundle
Sade
Senyawa - Alkisah
Shitney
Six Organs of Admittance
Soft Cell
Sonic Youth
Spoon
Sum Of R
Sunburned Hand of the Man
Teenage Fanclub - Endless Arcade
TeNniS bAFra
Thumbscrew - Never Is Enough
Tortoise
Vapour Theories - Celestial Scuzz
The War on Drugs
Weezer - Van Weezer
The Wrens
Weyes Blood
Wolf Eyes
Wolves in the Throne Room
Zu

Severian 12.21.2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Kinda weird to start this thread without having listed my favorites from 2020 yet, but I felt I hadda do it. Sorry Sev! ;):)

- Is This Desire? Demos - PJ Harvey (January 29)

- 1970 - Bob Dylan (February 26). No, it's not a cover of the Stooges song (that would be awesome, by the way); it's the Bob + George Harrison seshs from that year.


MOTHERFUCKER THIS IS THE THIRD TIME

ETA: OK ONE OF THOSE TIMES CHOC-E-CLAIRE OR WHATEVER DID IT BUT STILL

choc e-Claire 12.21.2020 06:07 PM

Clearly you have to start the 2022 thread now, so nobody fucks with you :D

_tunic_ 12.22.2020 06:00 AM

 







Anyway, I wish for a new Silver Mt. Zion album in 2021!! No idea if it will come or if they even still exist, but the world needs a new Silver Mt. Zion album!!

Moshe 12.22.2020 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
 







Anyway, I wish for a new Silver Mt. Zion album in 2021!! No idea if it will come or if they even still exist, but the world needs a new Silver Mt. Zion album!!


Yes Please!

Severian 12.22.2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
This is only the first time I beat you to it, and it was because I was thrilled about those two titles (Moshe then posted a kalamazillion! :)). The previous occasions are the responsibility of other motherfuckers.


I don稚 really care, I mean I知 almost never here.

Anyway, I知 hoping for new Fuck Buttons, new Thought Forms, Kim Gordon, KidKanevil, DJ Koze, Aphex Twin and Portishead (LOLOLOLOL) and, um, so on and so forth.

Obviously new Kendrick would be great. New Frank Ocean, too.

I am hoping for NO new Kanye and that Kanye is absent entirely from the music scene and any and all news cycles for many many years

Severian 12.22.2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Anyway, I wish for a new Silver Mt. Zion album in 2021!! No idea if it will come or if they even still exist, but the world needs a new Silver Mt. Zion album!!


This would be nice. It has been a minute.

d.sound 12.22.2020 08:47 PM

There should be a new SALEM album. The woman in the band isn't on it though.

The Soup Nazi 12.23.2020 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I don稚 really care, I mean I知 almost never here.


Well I see you here regularly. Where are you most of the time then? ;):D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Anyway, I知 hoping for new [...] Kim Gordon [...]


Y'know what, Kim, Lee and Thurston have done tons of stuff post-Sonic Youth (count not only the "big" releases but all them limited-edishs and shit), so now I want... a Steve album! Songful or abstract or both, but one full album credited to STEVE SHELLEY, boom. (Just don't invite Kozelek nor Oldham to the proceedings, Steve. Sorry. :o)

_tunic_ 12.23.2020 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
but one full album credited to STEVE SHELLEY, boom.

I suggest a covers album, by artists such as:
Scout Niblett
Neil Morgan
Thor Harris

etc etc
(but I wouldn't know any other artists that use vocals and drums or percussion besides the first two)

Severian 12.23.2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Well I see you here regularly. Where are you most of the time then? ;):D


I think I probably posted once a week at the most for the better part of the year but maybe I知 B.D. Wong.

Severian 12.23.2020 09:04 AM

Would enjoy a Steve Shelley album thick with co-conspirators and collaborators. ‘Twould be nice.

d.sound 12.23.2020 11:42 AM

Druuuumm Soloooo

The Soup Nazi 12.23.2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I think I probably posted once a week at the most for the better part of the year but maybe I知 B.D. Wong.


Could you explain this George Huang reference? :confused:

Skuj 12.28.2020 05:39 PM

I wonder if MB fucking V will finally release their next album in 2021.

Now don't laugh (or laugh if you want), but I look forward to the new Tears For Fears.

And while you are still laughing, I want new Billie Eilish.

Severian 12.28.2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Could you explain this George Huang reference? :confused:


I said 釘.D. Wong instead of 努rong it was a silly thing, a joke if you will

The Soup Nazi 12.30.2020 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I said 釘.D. Wong instead of 努rong it was a silly thing, a joke if you will


Crap, so far I'm 0 for 2 today.

Incidentally, I haven't kept up with Law & Order: SVU - this year it was announced they were gonna cool it with the superhero cops and tackle police brutality and racism. Has it happened? Does it matter? Is it not cool to worship at the altar of Mariska anymore?

Severian 12.30.2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Crap, so far I'm 0 for 2 today.

Incidentally, I haven't kept up with Law & Order: SVU - this year it was announced they were gonna cool it with the superhero cops and tackle police brutality and racism. Has it happened? Does it matter? Is it not cool to worship at the altar of Mariska anymore?


I don稚 think I致e ever seen a full episode of that show in my life. They had supercops? That is dumb

The Soup Nazi 12.30.2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I don稚 think I致e ever seen a full episode of that show in my life. They had supercops? That is dumb


No... What? No! Are you fucking with me? I'll take your post at face value: No, dude, what I meant is the Special Victims Unit team is portrayed as always top-quality, ultraprofessional, virtually incorruptible. Anyway, the current season is number 22: it is "the longest-running primetime U.S. live-action series in the history of television". Shit, you're the one who mentioned B.D. Wong, even if it was in jest! You're not familiar with the one and only Olivia Benson? guest is gonna kill you.

 

Severian 12.31.2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
No... What? No! Are you fucking with me? I'll take your post at face value: No, dude, what I meant is the Special Victims Unit team is portrayed as always top-quality, ultraprofessional, virtually incorruptible. Anyway, the current season is number 22: it is "the longest-running primetime U.S. live-action series in the history of television". Shit, you're the one who mentioned B.D. Wong, even if it was in jest! You're not familiar with the one and only Olivia Benson? guest is gonna kill you.

 


I’ve seen the show and everyone knows Olivia Benson. I like her, she’s great.
I’ve just never LOVED the show enough to watch a full episode (not that I can remember anyway). I don’t hate it, it’s just not really my thing. Procedurals bore me.
I like Benson and Christopher Meloni, though.

*shrug*

Anyway, settle down chief

The Soup Nazi 12.31.2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I like Benson and Christopher Meloni, though.


You just like Meloni because he killed Faora-Ul. "A good death is its own reward..." :)

Severian 12.31.2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
You just like Meloni because he killed Faora-Ul. "A good death is its own reward..." :)


I think they were into each other, but nah I liked him before that, always have

_tunic_ 01.07.2021 06:37 PM

Nick Cave has used the lockdown to record a new album named Carnage with Warren Ellis.

Severian 01.08.2021 09:19 AM

Hey there痴 already a new Sunburned Hand of the Man album! Fucking nice!

Absolute Flake In the Forest out now.

 

Skuj 01.09.2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Nick Cave has used the lockdown to record a new album named Carnage with Warren Ellis.


Great news. Because Ghosteen ruled.

g. 01.09.2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Great news. Because Ghosteen ruled.


Agreed on both counts. Ghosteen is a masterpiece.

_tunic_ 01.09.2021 04:46 PM

Ghosteen never really did it for me, but perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance. Anyways, looking forward to what they're up to on this album

Skuj 01.09.2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Ghosteen never really did it for me, but perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance. Anyways, looking forward to what they're up to on this album


It took a lot of time for me to grasp Ghosteen.

Skuj 01.10.2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club.


Artwork and tracklist revealed:

https://uproxx.com/pop/lana-del-rey-...lub-tracklist/

But no date yet. Fuck.

(PS: For some strange reason, many/most fans are pissed off about the album cover. IDK WTF the problem is.)

The Soup Nazi 01.10.2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Artwork and tracklist revealed:

https://uproxx.com/pop/lana-del-rey-...lub-tracklist/

But no date yet. Fuck.

(PS: For some strange reason, many/most fans are pissed off about the album cover. IDK WTF the problem is.)


The problem is it's a Lana del fucking Rey album WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE. :mad::D

Skuj 01.10.2021 09:43 PM

Norman Fucking Rockwell. Ok?

Skuj 01.11.2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
The problem is it's a Lana del fucking Rey album WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE. :mad::D


Chemtrails Over The Country Club will be out March 19th.

So, anyway, SNY people...and Soup Nazi specifically......

Lana Del Rey.

Seriously? She is Not Cool here? Norman Fucking Rockwell was my favourite album of 2019.

Soup Nazi, did you ever listen to NFR?

Discuss.

Skuj 01.11.2021 04:44 PM

(I still think that NFR has the greatest opening line in all of recorded music history.)

g. 01.11.2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Chemtrails Over The Country Club will be out March 19th.

So, anyway, SNY people...and Soup Nazi specifically......

Lana Del Rey.

Seriously? She is Not Cool here? Norman Fucking Rockwell was my favourite album of 2019.

Soup Nazi, did you ever listen to NFR?

Discuss.


I have liked Lana Del Ray since Video Games.

A lot of time and respect for her work.

Listened to the new single, the title track off the next album and it is beautiful. Very excited for the new album.

Moshe 01.12.2021 07:46 AM

Sunburned Hand of the Man - Pick A Day To Die

https://threelobed.bandcamp.com/albu...a2yq1OFihOB08k

Severian 01.12.2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
Sunburned Hand of the Man - Pick A Day To Die

https://threelobed.bandcamp.com/albu...a2yq1OFihOB08k


Damn, more SHOTM, nice

The Soup Nazi 01.13.2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Chemtrails Over The Country Club will be out March 19th.

So, anyway, SNY people...and Soup Nazi specifically......

Lana Del Rey.

Seriously? She is Not Cool here? Norman Fucking Rockwell was my favourite album of 2019.

Soup Nazi, did you ever listen to NFR?

Discuss.


I say it's shameful that her new album will be out on my birthday. The nerve on that woman.

(On the other hand, at this rate I'm not gonna make it to March 19th. I'd rather blow my head off. But do you know how difficult it is to get a gun here? First, they're expensive as all fuck. Then, the very process of buying one involves registering it, which you can't do unless you get a certificate from a psychiatrist, which I won't get unless I can find a dumb enough one who won't see that I'm doing it to kill myself. Goddammit, why can't we be like them Texas sickos who get military-grade shit at gun shows, no questions asked?)

Severian 01.14.2021 09:23 AM

Norman Fucking Rockwell had some fine songs, and “Venice Bitch” is great, but in general I’m pretty meh on Lana Del Rey


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ゥ2006 Sonic Youth