Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

demonrail666 03.12.2011 03:45 PM

Of the English clubs left in the CL, I'd definitely like Spurs to go furthest. I'm not a Spurs fan and can't stand Rednapp but given the seasons both Man U and Chelsea have had, I really don't think they deserve to achieve anything that might be used to make this year look like a success for them.

PAULYBEE2656 03.13.2011 06:53 AM

yeah i forgot this thread....c.o.y.s. indeed. the most frustrating and stressfull 90 minutes ive ever had to endure but it was worth it!! last 8 for the tottingham...unbelievable jeff!

demonrail666 05.22.2011 02:03 PM

Prem season's end, wondered what and who those who followed it or any other league thought were:

Best Team: Blackpool (despite getting relegated)

Best Player: Scott Parker (West Ham); Leighton Baines (Everton)

Best Manager: Fergie (Man Utd); Ian Holloway (Blackpool)

Best Signing: Hernandez (Man Utd)

Most Disappointing Team: Arsenal

Most Disappointing Player: Torres (Liverpool/Chelsea)

Worst Manager: Avram Grant (West Ham)

washer 05.22.2011 05:20 PM

And so it ends, an unforgettable record-breaker season for FC Porto, one of the absolute best of the club's history, with 4 titles: (undefeated) Portuguese League Champion and Europa League/Portuguese Super Cup/Portuguese Cup winner. FCP is now the most decorated Portuguese club of all time and surpassed titans like Manchester United in number of international titles. I hope we can hold our best players for at least one more season, as this year reminded Porto supporters of the glorious UEFA Cup and Champions League victories on 2003 and 2004 (I don't think we'll go so far this time but I feel we can make a great campaign, anyway).

And one very special thank you for the world's best striker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFoB5sk3Eg

SonicBebs 05.23.2011 03:11 PM

Best Team: West Brom getting a top 10 finish and Everton turned their season around big time

Best Player: Scott Parker Gareth Bale

Best Manager: Kenny Daglish Tony Pulis

Best Signing: Darren Bent

Most Disappointing Team: West Ham or Arsenal

Most Disappointing Player: Diddier Drogba (past it?)

Worst Manager: Mick Mcarthy or Avram Grant

SonicBebs 05.23.2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by washer

And so it ends, an unforgettable record-breaker season for FC Porto, one of the absolute best of the club's history, with 4 titles: (undefeated) Portuguese League Champion and Europa League/Portuguese Super Cup/Portuguese Cup winner. FCP is now the most decorated Portuguese club of all time and surpassed titans like Manchester United in number of international titles. I hope we can hold our best players for at least one more season, as this year reminded Porto supporters of the glorious UEFA Cup and Champions League victories on 2003 and 2004 (I don't think we'll go so far this time but I feel we can make a great campaign, anyway).

And one very special thank you for the world's best striker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFoB5sk3Eg

i'm fairley sure Falcao and Hulk will be Premiership bound this summer.

shame, teams like Porto need to be able to keep their best players to be able to challenge in the Champions League. Money Money Money...

SonicBebs 05.23.2011 03:17 PM

plus, congratulations to AFC Wimbledon!!!

and of course Palace survived another season in the heady heights of the championship. Another team who have no chance of keeping their best players (sit and watch as Neil Danns, Nathaniel Clyne and Julian Speroni head off to somewhere like Sunderland or Wigan. Only to be relegated in a few years...)

washer 05.23.2011 04:34 PM

Actually, maybe we can keep both. Porto's president said that this year he won't sell anyone below its rescission clause. Hulk's contract was renewed a week ago, having now a 100M€ clause and Falcao's contract is also on the process of being renewed (his clause is currently a bit low, 30M, which can be easily offered by any major club). Oh well, we never know. Our coach André Villas-Boas (another great responsible for the successful season) is also not available for transfer, as he's as much of a Porto fan as I am and apparently wants to continue for some time.

SonicBebs 05.24.2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

Actually, maybe we can keep both. Porto's president said that this year he won't sell anyone below its rescission clause. Hulk's contract was renewed a week ago, having now a 100M€ clause and Falcao's contract is also on the process of being renewed (his clause is currently a bit low, 30M, which can be easily offered by any major club). Oh well, we never know. Our coach André Villas-Boas (another great responsible for the successful season) is also not available for transfer, as he's as much of a Porto fan as I am and apparently wants to continue for some time.

thats great news, especially your coach. he's been talked about alot in the uk press

SonicBebs 05.28.2011 05:08 PM

just fantastic! it was kind of inevitable but fantastic all the same

washer 05.28.2011 05:43 PM

Yup, Barcelona is the best team I've ever seen, no doubt. Can't wait for the Super Cup final (even if I also can't be very confident on a win, hah).

the ikara cult 05.29.2011 07:30 PM

thoroughly enjoyed it, in the prescense of a middle aged man who wasnt my dad

_slavo_ 05.30.2011 06:24 AM

Campeones !!! Mes que un club !!!

A Thousand Threads 05.30.2011 06:33 AM

We had the nicest end of the season here in Austria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5so...eature=related

demonrail666 05.30.2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Yup, Barcelona is the best team I've ever seen, no doubt.

Me too. I've not seen anything like this current Barcelona team before. Previous great teams have tended to be dominated by single great players but while the press go on about Messi, it's that organic understanding between the entire team that makes them feel at times almost supernatural.

SonicBebs 05.30.2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
We had the nicest end of the season here in Austria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5so...eature=related

nice...

had the sound off but the police looked like they dealt with it pretty well

demonrail666 05.30.2011 03:42 PM

I know the UK media are told to turn the camera away from pitch invasions and outbursts of violence in the stands but I do sort of wish they'd show it. From the comfort of my armchair, a decent bit of violence* usually adds a little spice, especially to an otherwise boring game when it might be the only real bit of excitement on offer.

*decent as in no children or animals were hurt

SonicBebs 05.31.2011 02:25 PM

dunno about that!!!

demonrail666 05.31.2011 05:17 PM

Either way, West Ham are appointing Sam Allardyce as their new manager. I honestly find that even more depressing than being relegated. Just horrible. I've not felt this dead since the last election.

SonicBebs 06.01.2011 06:36 AM

i feel your pain
for some reason Sam seems to be respected in football circles, and he is a big name which will help you keep and attract players to the club.

but yeah, i'm clutching at straws for you! Anyone but "Big" Sam!!

*edit*
i felt that way when Neil Warnock came to Palace but after a while i grew to like him. He was our cunt.
If Sam gets you straight back up i'm sure you'll feel differently