Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stupid comments about SY (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=994)

Pablitzen 04.16.2006 03:49 PM

Stupid comments about SY

time ago i was watching the DVD Rock en Seine (2004)...
a friend of mine was reaaaaaaaaaaally boring watching the gig, and he said to me:

HEY...DO YOU LIKE SONIC YOUTH JUST BECAUSE OF ALL THAT NOISE? :confused:
(at that moment we was watching "Brother James")

i just wanted to kick that guy's ass, but i was also thinking what to say to him!!!. by the way, my friends likes pearl jam...he dont like other bands...just pearl jam

(Sorry if i had problems expressing myself...i don't speak english very well)

Andrés 04.16.2006 10:10 PM

Don't worry my friend, it's not your fault that he likes peral jam

schizophrenicroom 04.16.2006 11:08 PM

"Ugh, why do they call their albums Sonic Nurse? Why do they have a NURSE on it?"

That's my most favorite recent comment I can credit to a classmate taking a cd out of my backpack.

John Violence 04.16.2006 11:29 PM

Some stupid blonde chick saw me wearing my washing machine shirt and said, "Sonic Youth? Why is there a washing machine on your shirt?" That always pisses me off.

schizophrenicroom 04.16.2006 11:30 PM

Haha, every time I wear my WM tshirt someone will tell me "I don't get it", or "What's Sonic Youth?" or something about how yes, there is a washing machine on my shirt!

krastian 04.17.2006 01:20 AM

"What kind of music do they play?"

Sn@ke 04.17.2006 03:17 AM

"Soni...wha??"

"oh...that's just noise"

"yeah...they are good, I like that song called "Candy My Love".

:confused: ...ahm...ok.

screamingskull 04.17.2006 05:08 AM

i get people saying to me, "sonic youth??......but their not youths they should be called sonic old guys"

Soundtrax 04.17.2006 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablitzen
time ago i was watching the DVD Rock en Seine (2004)...
a friend of mine was reaaaaaaaaaaally boring watching the gig, and he said to me:

HEY...DO YOU LIKE SONIC YOUTH JUST BECAUSE OF ALL THAT NOISE? :confused:
(at that moment we was watching "Brother James")

that rock en seine was the best live concert i've ever seen. if he only listens to pearl jam, he obviously is not a guy of a very broad views on music. actually i stopped trying to inspire people to get into sonic youth, because it doesnt make any sense. they won't understand it anyway. i have a couple of friends who are into sonic youth, but it wasnt me that caused their interest in sonic youth. but i still like to show "voice piece for soprano" to people who are not really into music at all :D

ploesj 04.17.2006 06:29 AM

'they are old.. can't be any good'

my twelve-year old brother.

Washing Machine 04.17.2006 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundtrax
but i still like to show "voice piece for soprano" to people who are not really into music at all :D

Hehe I know there's nothing more funny than sticking "voice piece for soprano", "Pendulum music" or anything from NYCG&F on at a party when everyone is a little drunk and seeing their reaction.

I think the most stupid comment SY fans get is "Thats not music...you just like it because its cool" That one annoys me because they just cannot get how you can genunely ENJOY Sonic Youth!

RdTv 04.17.2006 06:59 AM

the one I always get is "ugh! thats not music its just noise" or my alltime favorite "I dont get it..."

Radioactive Poltergeist 04.17.2006 07:26 AM

"Fuck man, are these guys Scandinavian? They can barely play their guitars"

I loved that one.

Neongod 04.17.2006 11:35 AM

Me: Do you listen to Sonic Youth
Girl: I don't listen to the radio
Me: ...

samuel 04.17.2006 11:41 AM

Ahh, I get the Washing Machine comments too. Plus, at my school everyone hates this teacher and somehow he got the nickname "Sonic Boom." Now, people feel the need to make connections between that and my shirt.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.17.2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Violence
Some stupid blonde chick saw me wearing my washing machine shirt and said, "Sonic Youth? Why is there a washing machine on your shirt?" That always pisses me off.

Was she hot?

Danny Himself 04.17.2006 01:15 PM

My sister once said to me regarding Bull In The Heather: "It's a pretty good song, I just hate the vocals and guitar parts."

Yeah.

Pablitzen 04.17.2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundtrax
that rock en seine was the best live concert i've ever seen. if he only listens to pearl jam, he obviously is not a guy of a very broad views on music. actually i stopped trying to inspire people to get into sonic youth, because it doesnt make any sense. they won't understand it anyway. i have a couple of friends who are into sonic youth, but it wasnt me that caused their interest in sonic youth. but i still like to show "voice piece for soprano" to people who are not really into music at all :D

that DVD is awesome...i really like to see shows at day like that one...

greenlight 04.17.2006 01:33 PM

by the way rock en seine, one of the best live sonic youth concerts i've seen

yeah sonic can be distracting, noisy and out of tune for "first time" listener, which is pity. some greatest and significant moments in sy music you wont find anywhereelse in music are hiding behind it all. and unbelieveable that somebody can actually miss that...strange.

i was playing eurocknees gig to one of my mates, who doesn't know sy at all and he quite liked it, which really suprised me nicely. i didn't expect such a reaction after few other experiences. (also one of his comments on thurston was classic - "how old is he 48? I don't believe it! he looks like 18-teen..... hehe.)

Proud Marie 04.17.2006 05:25 PM

My friend Lewis: "There is a girl in their band! they cant be good!"
My friend Felix: "I have never heard sonic youth on the radio. They must suck!" (this is the same guy that listens to mostly blink 182 and bowling for soup)

Everyone at my school: Whats sonic youth?
Me: A band. (I let them listen on my ipod)
Then they start laughing