Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Favorite Shoegaze band? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4129)

Sonic Youth 37 07.13.2006 08:13 PM

Favorite Shoegaze band?

Who is it? I know that some of these aren't 100% "shoegaze" but they are noise-rock/pop that is close enough

acousticrock87 07.13.2006 08:19 PM

Honestly, I've only head MBV and J&MC.

k-krack 07.13.2006 08:27 PM

there all good bands (Cocteau Twins deserve to be listed though.. one of my favourites) but i have to pick MBV, cos they are simply the best. sorry every other band listed...

Sonic Youth 37 07.13.2006 08:28 PM

AAH! I forgot to put the Twins on there. I knew I was missing one.

TheDom 07.13.2006 08:30 PM

Haven't heard any of the others so I chose MBV.

If anyone wants to give me suggests, I'll check the rest of them out.

k-krack 07.13.2006 08:31 PM

ahhh shame, SY37! (rubbing fingers) shame,shame,shame!

dazedcola 07.13.2006 08:38 PM

what about the swirlies ?

hey, whats a codger anyway ? does anybody know ?

acousticrock87 07.13.2006 08:59 PM

I think it's like "geezer." An old guy who's out of the loop or something.

Sonic Youth 37 07.13.2006 09:35 PM

Some suggest for the Dom

Slowdive- Souvlaki-kinda a softer MBV
Jesus and Mary Chain-they were like the 1st shoegaze band, but they are mostly considered Noise Pop. Like the Beach Boys with ear-piercing feedback and drumming that sounds like a two-year old with rhythm and a bass drum.
Check out a thread I made about them a few days ago for some YouTube videos of the Chain

Norma J 07.13.2006 09:50 PM

Shoegaze is an offensive term when given to a bands live performance. Explain to me how it can be a genre?

k-krack 07.13.2006 10:06 PM

norma, this style of music (blaring gtrs, tons of distortion and fx and such, basically just pop songs underneath seven hundred fuzz pedals, however you describe it) has become known by the populus as 'shoegaze' (because of, yes, there stage antic, or lack thereof). you and we all know it. it's much easier to say shoegaze (which everyone understands anyways) than saying heavily distorted pop music...

Sonic Youth 37 07.13.2006 10:06 PM

They pretty much just shoegazed. The music relies on constant effects alteration and they just need to look at them. And some suffered considerable stage fright.

Edit: k-krack is right. Basically it is pop music but just fuzzed and pitch-shifted and tremeloed into a warm mass of sound.

acousticrock87 07.13.2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Shoegaze is an offensive term when given to a bands live performance. Explain to me how it can be a genre?

So is "pop" or "emo," depending on the band.

k-krack 07.13.2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87

word.

Norma J 07.13.2006 10:35 PM

Alright, you guys explained it well. So the term still is what I know it as, but it's became a genre... within certain bands. Because we all know every genre has their shoegazers.

Norma J 07.13.2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87

It isn't the same in which I am referring to. "Shoegaze" was/is a term given to a band which are visually boring - obviously then a genre was coined from that saying. "Emo" is an abbreviation of emotional (obviously) - that's not offensive - the genre inwhich the term was given to, has made the word "emo" offensive (due to the shitty bands and trendseekers). As for pop music, it's really just the musically uneducated who get offended by that term - the people who see pop music as Britany Speares, and the rest of them goons, etc. "Pop" music can be regcognised by song structure, etc. The opposite to "pop" music is "serious music" which would be bands such as Tool and even Sonic Youth - bands/artists who don't follow a set structure when it comes to songwriting. There's an interesting book based upon 'pop vs serious music'. The term in itself is a bit provocative given that it makes out pop music to be unworthy, when it's not necessarly the case nor what the book is about. Pop to me is not a dirty word. Pop music, when done well, is extremly creative and artistic. Subjective, I guess.

elix it 07.13.2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola
what about the swirlies ?

hey, whats a codger anyway ? does anybody know ?

Ahh yes, the Swirlies. One of the most underrated bands ever.

Blonder Tongue Audio Baton!

k-krack 07.13.2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Alright, you guys explained it well. So the term still is what I know it as, but it's became a genre... within certain bands. Because we all know every genre has their shoegazers.

this is true.. but it's just the way it is known. dig? (i know you do, i just wanted to say "dig?")

m^a(t)h 07.13.2006 11:52 PM

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

acousticrock87 07.14.2006 12:17 AM

Quote:

It isn't the same in which I am referring to. "Shoegaze" was/is a term given to a band which are visually boring - obviously then a genre was coined from that saying. "Emo" is an abbreviation of emotional (obviously) - that's not offensive - the genre inwhich the term was given to, has made the word "emo" offensive (due to the shitty bands and trendseekers). As for pop music, it's really just the musically uneducated who get offended by that term - the people who see pop music as Britany Speares, and the rest of them goons, etc. "Pop" music can be regcognised by song structure, etc. The opposite to "pop" music is "serious music" which would be bands such as Tool and even Sonic Youth - bands/artists who don't follow a set structure when it comes to songwriting. There's an interesting book based upon 'pop vs serious music'. The term in itself is a bit provocative given that it makes out pop music to be unworthy, when it's not necessarly the case nor what the book is about. Pop to me is not a dirty word. Pop music, when done well, is extremly creative and artistic. Subjective, I guess.

I know, I didn't mean in general - I like tons of pop, and some emo, too. But I was actually under the impression that shoegazing was a newer term, post-genre. I figured it was the same type of thing. Maybe not. I dunno. Wikipedia just explains the genre - couldn't find anything on the adjective. Hm. Now I'm curious.