Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Torn Curtain 09.22.2011 06:03 PM

Link Wray - Rumble (Winterland, San Francisco, Nov 19, 1974)

Pelle 09.22.2011 06:39 PM

Dead-Air 09.22.2011 09:38 PM

Frank Comstock - Music from Outer Space

Pookie 09.23.2011 03:56 AM

I'm procrastinating. I need to do some stuff and putting some music on to gee me along is what I'm thinking. A bit of Vaz.

stu666 09.23.2011 06:38 AM

Eternal Tapestry

noisereductions 09.23.2011 07:11 AM

I don't have much Lil B yet, as i got into him later than some of you guys. But of the half dozen of his albums I have, this is probably my favorite. I just really like the 90's style minimal bass beats. And he definitely beat-rides on this one more than on others I've heard. Plus... look at that damn cover art. Haha. So awesome.

louder 09.23.2011 08:52 AM

my fav album of the year so far, along WTT & S80.

noisereductions 09.23.2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

my fav album of the year so far, along WTT & S80.

you keep talking about this one, I guess I'll try to check it out soon. What's WTT and what's S80?

I'm also surprised you keep the Tyler avatar. Y'know, I really respect OF, but I think Goblin is mostly a letdown. I think I like just about half of it. Don't get me wrong the good tracks are like REALLY GOOD, but a lot of it just doesn't do much for me. I don't know. Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit, but I liked BASTARD better.

louder 09.23.2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

I don't have much Lil B yet, as i got into him later than some of you guys. But of the half dozen of his albums I have, this is probably my favorite. I just really like the 90's style minimal bass beats. And he definitely beat-rides on this one more than on others I've heard. Plus... look at that damn cover art. Haha. So awesome.

love Lil B as a person/entertainer, but i got bored of his music fast, he needs to step his rapping up

louder 09.23.2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
you keep talking about this one, I guess I'll try to check it out soon. What's WTT and what's S80?

I'm also surprised you keep the Tyler avatar. Y'know, I really respect OF, but I think Goblin is mostly a letdown. I think I like just about half of it. Don't get me wrong the good tracks are like REALLY GOOD, but a lot of it just doesn't do much for me. I don't know. Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit, but I liked BASTARD better.

WTT = Watch the Throne
S80 = Section.80 by Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick is Dre's new boy.
he kept the Dre beats for his major label debut Good Kid in a Mad City, which will come out next year
S80 is his last independent album, he said it's just a warm-up.. but it's already one of this year's best releases, if not the greatest
the production on it is mostly really chill and jazzy. he is a great MC, full of thought provocking lyrics.. also destroyed Game on the opening track of his new album RED
lately he was crowned the new king of the West Coast by the OG's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsPbtg8ydc
his previous album Overly Dedicated is awesome as well.
let's just say he is to the WC what Big K.R.I.T is to the south..
Cole, Kendrick & Krit - i see them all as the future of hip hop.

Bastard is definitely better than Goblin. but overall i think Earl is the best OF release so far. i just like Goblin's artwork.

noisereductions 09.23.2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
WTT = Watch the Throne
S80 = Section.80 by Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick is Dre's new boy.
he kept the Dre beats for his major label debut Good Kid in a Mad City, which will come out next year
S80 is his last independent album, he said it's just a warm-up.. but it's already one of this year's best releases, if not the greatest
the production on it is mostly really chill and jazzy. he is a great MC, full of thought provocking lyrics.. also destroyed Game on the opening track of his new album RED
lately he was crowned the new king of the West Coast by the OG's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsPbtg8ydc
his previous album Overly Dedicated is awesome as well.
let's just say he is to the WC what Big K.R.I.T is to the south..
Cole, Kendrick & Krit - i see them all as the future of hip hop.

Bastard is definitely better than Goblin. but overall i think Earl is the best OF release so far. i just like Goblin's artwork.

oh yeah WTT...duh.

Kendrick Lamar I had read about from XXL's Freshman 2011 special. But I havent heard anything. I'm sure I'll like the Dre album, though. I still need to pick up RED. I know the Game is super hated on. But I can't help but find him rather fascinating. I have I think all of his indie albums, and a lot of his mixtapes, and truthfully -- I loved Loved LOVED his first 3 major label albums. So yeah, RED's a must for me.

Big K.R.I.T.'s RETURNOF4EVA is one of my favorite mixtapes this year BTW.

And agreed... EARL is by far my favorite OF album.

louder 09.23.2011 09:51 AM

RED is just too long.. i cut the album down to 14 tracks in my iTunes, if Game released the album that way it'd be a masterpiece. seriously, he gets too much hate.

Krit's tape was excellent, it just made me eager to hear his debut "Live from the Underground", it should come out at the beginning of next year.

Kanye is just unfuckwithable nowadays. everything he touches.. you already know it'll be great.

noisereductions 09.23.2011 10:07 AM

yeah Game gets way too much hate. But personally the shit people hate on (the name-dropping for instance) is the kind of stuff I like about him. I just thikn he's kind of a weirdo that just really loves 90's Gangsta Rap so tries to emulate it. I'm not surprised RED's long though, considering the ridiculous number of mixtapes he put out leading up to it.

oh Kanye is producing the KRIT album? That's badass.

louder 09.23.2011 10:10 AM

LOL true. Game is hilarious.. he said he won't be name dropping on his next album, then he backed up and made weird rules about it.

and haha no sorry he isn't. i just said that in relation to WTT, i meant generally.

noisereductions 09.23.2011 10:23 AM

oooooh my bad. But yeah I agree. Kanye has honestly been one of those dudes to just get better and better as he goes. Shit's amazing.

anyway, like I was saying about Game -- remember on DOCTOR'S ADVOCATE that track at the end where he's basically crying and he has Busta Rhymes like begging Dre to work with Game again? I mean that shit is just insane in my opinion. Shit like that the Game does I almost can't believe made it onto a major label album. I just feel like he's so much weirder and interesting than people give him credit for.

And what was up with that short-lived beef that Game had with Lil B? Haha.

louder 09.23.2011 10:34 AM

hell yeah, i think that as opposed to any other genre, some of the most interesting sounds in hip hop actually come out of the mainstream.. it's amazing

the last thing i heard about it was Lil B's response which was hilarious, he called Game a legend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMf79CsIFts

i just remembered about an interview i read with Blu, where he said that if MTV was Pitchfork, then Lil B would be a superstar..

noisereductions 09.23.2011 10:40 AM

I read an interview where Lil B said the reason he's on PFork is because he's a punk. :)

louder 09.23.2011 10:51 AM

haha :)

louder 09.23.2011 11:12 AM

1. Dr. Dre Intro
2. The City (Feat. Kendrick Lamar)
3. Drug Test (Feat. Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg & Sly)
4. Martians Vs Goblins (Feat. Tyler, The Creator & Lil Wayne)
5. Dr. Dre 1
6. Good Girls Go Bad (Feat. Drake)
7. Ricky
8. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
9. Heavy Artillery (Feat. Rick Ross & Beanie Sigel)
10. Dr. Dre 2
11. Born In The Trap
12. Mama Knows (Feat. Nelly Furtado)
13. California Dream
14. Dr. Dre Outro

the album's perfect this way imo. love Kendrick's accapella rapping verse, the songs with Tyler & Drake, the Neptunes produced track & the Boyz in da Hood references in this album.. Ricky is epic.

noisereductions 09.23.2011 11:50 AM

only song I heard so far was "Martians vs Goblins " but I loved it.