Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   THIS is better than Animal Collective (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=37683)

Rob Instigator 01.22.2010 01:32 PM

THIS is better than Animal Collective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Kz8Nxb-Bg

who knew birds could "post-rock" with the best of them?

_slavo_ 01.22.2010 01:38 PM

this was posted here a while ago by Moshe under the "Avant Birds" thread

Rob Instigator 01.22.2010 01:39 PM

ahhh, thnx. did he post this too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YyQ...layer_embedded

krugersoldier 01.22.2010 02:52 PM

I dont like Animal Collective, the vocals are lame.

atsonicpark 01.22.2010 02:57 PM

No one likes Animal Collective.

(note: I just received word that some people in fact DO like them. I will now take the time to admit that I was wrong.)

Glice 01.22.2010 03:02 PM

There is only room on earth for one AC. No-one really likes Animal Collective.

noisereductions 01.22.2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

(note: I just received word that some people in fact DO like them. I will now take the time to admit that I was wrong.)

hahahaha. Nice.

I wonder if the collectedanimals board discusses SY as much?

Disclaimer: Animal Collective is one of my favorite bands.

Everyneurotic 01.22.2010 06:23 PM

it's sad that some website that even musicians and journalists, i mean for real journalists and musicians, not to mention thousands of people around the world take seriously when they obviously have no idea what they are talking about ("...is credited with "mooger fooger", which we thought was hilarious until we realized it was an actual thing"--today's news item on new erykah badu album), focus on bands that are good because they hear that, for some reason, they are good, grab on to them so hard that people decide to stop listening to them because said website likes them.

i love animal collective, one of the best, most forward thinking pop bands in the last ten years; hipsters like them but they won't in five years, ac's records will still be around.

merriweather post pavillion, thought, is a massive disappointment.

shit bands people listen just because pitchfork likes them: dirty projectors, hot chip, grizzly bear, vampire weekend, neon indian, high places, etc.

Derek 01.22.2010 06:58 PM

Dirty Projectors are shit.

Ditto Hot Chip... haven't heard the others.

noisereductions 01.22.2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i love animal collective, one of the best, most forward thinking pop bands in the last ten years; hipsters like them but they won't in five years, ac's records will still be around.

this.

davenotdead 01.23.2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I wonder if the collectedanimals board discusses SY as much?

hahaha. no, we don't. there is like one SY thread and its probably 3-4 pages long.

for comparison the Black Dice thread is like 44 pages long

SYRFox 01.23.2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
it's sad that some website that even musicians and journalists, i mean for real journalists and musicians, not to mention thousands of people around the world take seriously when they obviously have no idea what they are talking about ("...is credited with "mooger fooger", which we thought was hilarious until we realized it was an actual thing"--today's news item on new erykah badu album), focus on bands that are good because they hear that, for some reason, they are good, grab on to them so hard that people decide to stop listening to them because said website likes them.

merriweather post pavillion, thought, is a massive disappointment.

shit bands people listen just because pitchfork likes them: dirty projectors, hot chip, grizzly bear, vampire weekend, neon indian, high places, etc.

i love MPP and like hot chip (not their new one though) and high places; otherwise i agree with your point completely

davenotdead 01.23.2010 01:31 AM

grizzly bear is great. i was disappointed with the last dirty projectors, but they are usually great as well

dionysusundone 01.23.2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
grizzly bear is great. i was disappointed with the last dirty projectors, but they are usually great as well

I hate Grizzly Bear's records but they were admittedly pretty great live. They actually rocked, which is not something you can really say about their records.

Dirty Projectors just annoy the hell out of me, dude has the most obnoxious voice I've ever heard.

SYRFox 01.23.2010 04:40 AM

Yeah I don't get the hype around Grizzly Bear. I just find them boring, apart from one song or two; they're on Warp though so I guess I must be missing something, but I can't find what

PAULYBEE2656 01.23.2010 10:44 AM

yes! birdcore!

loubarret 01.23.2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

No one likes repetition.

barry swedgin 01.24.2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loubarret
No one likes repetition.

Fall fans do :D

automatic bzooty 01.24.2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Dirty Projectors just annoy the hell out of me, dude has the most obnoxious voice I've ever heard.

and you can tell he's madly infatuated with the sound of his on vox, too. like he's getting off on his little yelpy runs 'n' shit. the ladies should sing more.

loubarret 01.24.2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry swedgin
Fall fans do :D

Well, he ain't no mark e smith.