Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What About Lee... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16950)

avantgarde1 10.09.2007 09:18 PM

What About Lee...

making a new solo album. and more so... how cool would it be if he made a solo album w/ actual songs on it. not dissing his other solo stuff (he could fart on an album for a straight hour, and i would think it was genius), but i just think it would be interesting. something along the lines of t's psycic hearts. like the cover of imagine he does on amarillo ramp. just something to ponder.

alyasa 10.09.2007 09:28 PM

I'll be first in the download queue when he releases it "In Rainbows"-style... ;)

k-krack 10.09.2007 09:35 PM

It needs to happen. I've been wondering if any of his solo albums are song-oriented or more droney/soundscape type dealies.
I gotta check 'em out, anyways.

deflinus 10.09.2007 09:35 PM

thatd be awesome. I would totally be into it

atsonicpark 10.09.2007 11:28 PM

Actually, yeah, I don't really care about Thurston's solo projects or anything that much, but I'd be first in line for a Lee solo album. I think it'd be amazing if we he did a covers album, actually. He makes "Electricity" really special, and his cover of Wire's "fragile" is one of the best covers ever.

Moshe 10.10.2007 01:03 AM

;) I believe that 2008 will be a good year for Lee fans.

alyasa 10.10.2007 01:11 AM

^ Hopefully; his distinctive voice and guitar playing were what drew me into SY in the first place... I can never forget hearing Wish Fulfillment for the first time. Just sayin'...

pbradley 10.10.2007 01:28 AM

Even though he sings less often than Kim or Thurston, I do find that I enjoy Lee's songs more often than not. In fact "Rats" is the only song that I really dig on Rather Ripped.

A crazy beat poet odyssey solo album by Lee would be much welcome here.

alyasa 10.10.2007 02:03 AM

I really hope Lee is reading this...

SynthethicalY 10.10.2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i hope he does too. lee doesnt get nearly the credit he deserves. ive always felt that way.

if lee left sonic youth, that band would be over in my mind.

I think he is the best one, his lyrics and the whole melody of all the songs are amazing.

avantgarde1 10.10.2007 06:24 PM

if lee left sonic youth, that band would be over in my mind.[/quote]

bite yr tongue!

avantgarde1 10.10.2007 06:25 PM

although, i do hope he's reading this. looks like i stole yr avatar moshe... my bad.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 10.10.2007 06:27 PM

I think I posted this once before but one time there was this Renaldo/Hooker/Marclay actually I think is was Hooker/Renaldo only gig at the Leonard St. Knitting Faactory and I wnt to take a leak pre set and these guys were smoking a joint in the bathroom talking about how they were all ready for a
"A crazy beat poet odyssey solo album by Lee would be much welcome here." type gig.

I just busted up laughing thinking how big of a mindfuck they were about to be slapped with. Those William Hooker and Lee gigs are some of the loudest lyricless gigs ever gigged.

alyasa 10.10.2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
I think I posted this once before but one time there was this Renaldo/Hooker/Marclay actually I think is was Hooker/Renaldo only gig at the Leonard St. Knitting Faactory and I wnt to take a leak pre set and these guys were smoking a joint in the bathroom talking about how they were all ready for a
"A crazy beat poet odyssey solo album by Lee would be much welcome here." type gig.

I just busted up laughing thinking how big of a mindfuck they were about to be slapped with. Those William Hooker and Lee gigs are some of the loudest lyricless gigs ever gigged.

Ouhh.. mindfuck... I'd kill to have audio of that gig...

alyasa 10.10.2007 11:55 PM

^ I love what you've done with the place...

Moshe 10.11.2007 01:00 AM

I think that Lee is more critical to his own work and to sy work. That is why we don't see as much solo stuff from him as we see from Thurston.

alyasa 10.11.2007 01:14 AM

It's true that Lee is a bit more serious, but this, for me, translates into more intense music, and I for one, can sometimes do without Thurston's over-exuberance (sorry, Mr. Thurston Moore). The thing is, Lee is the weirder one I think. I just wish there was some sort of project, that has the rock attitude of Sonic Youth, but with Lee centerstage...

sonicl 10.11.2007 02:38 AM

The thing about Lee is that he has an art background and that comes through in his music, in the way it's composed rather than played. Thurston, on the other hand, comes from a rock background, and just plays his shit.

sonicl 10.11.2007 03:03 AM

But I'm not sure how well schooled/read T is in painted/photographed/filmed arts, which is where I think Lee gets his inspiration. T seems to be more Fluxus in his artistic approach.

alyasa 10.11.2007 03:26 AM

Thing is Thurston realises that probably his fans are growing up together with him... It would be all too easy to pander to this demographic, but then again, what would be the point. I really think he's 'torn' between appeasing his older audience and the younger blood, in the words of crypto...