Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Post your favorite works of art (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18738)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.07.2008 03:51 AM

Post your favorite works of art

Bouguereau- Birth of Venus

Francois Pascal Simon: Psyche and Cupid

Jacques Louis David The Death of Marat

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.07.2008 04:05 AM

I like sort of campy comedic 20th century stuff too

Norman Rockwell, self portrait

Alberto Vargas- Can Anyone Beat My Pair?

Gil Elvgren Cowgirl

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.07.2008 04:07 AM

Michelangelo- David

Auguste Rodin The Kiss

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.07.2008 04:11 AM

Jean Louis Cesar Lair The Torture of Prometheus

Dante Gabriel Rosetti- Proserpine

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.07.2008 04:24 AM

William Blake Cerberus

Jacques Louis David Hector

Bouguereau- Madonna and Child with St. John the Baptist

(they had this on display at the Frick Art museum in Pittsburgh, it is an amazing painting, this and the David are the only ones I've seen in person as I recall) I like how John is depicted based on his description as an adult.

Norma J 01.07.2008 05:07 AM

I really like the ones in your second post.

Norma J 01.07.2008 05:09 AM

Brett Whitely is one of my favourite artists. My girlfriend bought me one of his books for Christmas, it's a beautiful book.

Brett Whitely:

Norma J 01.07.2008 05:12 AM

More of the amazing Brett Whitely:

Some of my favourite artworks by him I can't find big enough pics of on the net.

Norma J 01.07.2008 05:23 AM

Some John Olsen:

Norma J 01.07.2008 05:25 AM

More John Olsen:

I saw one of Olsen's pieces, which was pretty huge, in my local gallery last year. It was amazing. I stood in awe for quite awhile. I can't find a pic of it though.

Glice 01.07.2008 12:20 PM

That third one of Brett Whitely's is gorgeous. I went to see an exhibition of Hans-Peter Feldmann on Saturday. Comes across as rubbish on the interbox screen, but certainly one of the better things I've come across this last year or so. The larger 'modern' gallery round here tends to be quite patchy, but this was pretty ace. I'll post some of my fave arts presently.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.07.2008 12:33 PM

The Whitely stuff is cool, but the Olsen stuff doesn't do much for me.

Is the 2nd Whitely one a painting of the operahouse in Sydney, or is that just coincidence?

Glice 01.07.2008 12:56 PM

I did a history of aesthetics course a few years ago. Unfortunately, there was a belligerent NZ feminist who made me hate Antipodean art for a while. She would constantly hark on about how NZ had better (female) artists than Western Europe, and it was a 'conspiracy' against either women or the Antipodes that they weren't better known over here. She bought in a slide show of her favourite NZ artists, and without exception it was whollly derivative of various 20th-Century movements, 30+ years too late. I assume Olsen and Whitely are from Australia, so I'm going to change my mind on Antipodean art.

EMMAh 01.07.2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I like sort of campy comedic 20th century stuff too

Norman Rockwell, self portrait

This one is pretty cool. I also like the ones by Brett Whitely that Norma J posted.

girlgun 01.07.2008 01:18 PM

Rob Instigator 01.07.2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Jacques Louis David The Death of Marat

I read a great art history article about how this painting is the first great modern propaganda painting . very interesting.

Rob Instigator 01.07.2008 01:43 PM

I am and always have been a big Picasso nut. I was born 9 months after he died in 1972.

3 Musicians. (I got to see this in person when MOMA sent a huge chunk of it's collection to HOuston. It was huge and awesome)\

and this one too.
I love how Picasso can make a painting of his lover masturbating with her titty popped out and her finger third knuckle deep in her hot pussy and it comes out so delicate and beautiful and nearly inoffensive.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.07.2008 01:46 PM

When I went to Europe this summer we had delays, preventing us from spending enough time in Barcelona to go to the museum and see some Picasso stuff :(

Rob Instigator 01.07.2008 01:56 PM

fucking DELAYS!!!!!

the barcelone Picasso museum is one of my "go see before I die" places.

nicfit 01.07.2008 01:59 PM

well, not necessarily my fav pieces (too many to post, and plenty for each artist), but some of my fav "classic" artists' works: