Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

h8kurdt 06.18.2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Said the dude watching Van Damme both ironically and non-ironically?

Also, there are simply too many ďcomic bookĒ movies to avoid watching them. Fuckís sake, I havenít even seen Infinity War or Deadpool 2 yet and I still feel bludgeoned to death by comic book movies after catching up with the ones from late 2017/early 2018. Fuck.


Nah, personally I've done pretty well. I see trailers and discussion after discussion blah, blah, blah and there's not an iota of interest in them. Honestly, and this may make me sound like a snob but so what, they've done more harm to the film industry than any other genre.

You could look at it and say "well the 80s had it's good awful action films" (even though they were great) and you'd be right, but as symbols said, there's no middle ground anymore and fucking manchild comic book movies are one of the main reasons for that. Whenever I see a grown ass man walking around with a marvel bag or tshirt or whatever I tell myself they need to get a grip. Suckered into cheap ass merc like children.

Worst thing is, I can't see it changing. You had the reaction of the young uostart directors in the late 60s/70s, then the same again in the early 90s and I just don't see that happening now.

Severian 06.18.2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Nah, personally I've done pretty well. I see trailers and discussion after discussion blah, blah, blah and there's not an iota of interest in them. Honestly, and this may make me sound like a snob but so what, they've done more harm to the film industry than any other genre.

You could look at it and say "well the 80s had it's good awful action films" (even though they were great) and you'd be right, but as symbols said, there's no middle ground anymore and fucking manchild comic book movies are one of the main reasons for that. Whenever I see a grown ass man walking around with a marvel bag or tshirt or whatever I tell myself they need to get a grip. Suckered into cheap ass merc like children.

Worst thing is, I can't see it changing. You had the reaction of the young uostart directors in the late 60s/70s, then the same again in the early 90s and I just don't see that happening now.



As long as you understand that Nolanís Dark Knight movies are not truly of this genre and are therefore not part of the problem, I totally agree.

Still love watching shit like Ragnarok. Fun stuff. Dumb fun stuff.

Rob Instigator 06.19.2018 08:02 AM

I miss R Rated adult action and comedy films.

Rob Instigator 06.19.2018 08:04 AM

In the 6+ hours of running time in all the Nolan movies the Batman did not one single bit of detective work. Instead, he engaged in self-justified mass-surveilance of the citizenry. fascist. Fuck Nolan. He ruined Batman and made him a mopey lisper

ilduclo 06.19.2018 11:22 AM

another good bio docu seen recently

What Happened, Miss Simone?

another somewhat tragic life, a great talent, pianist as well as vocalist. Marred by a marriage to a guy who helped her achieve, yet was a manipulative abuser. Some nice concert footage and interviews.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4284010/

Severian 06.19.2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
In the 6+ hours of running time in all the Nolan movies the Batman did not one single bit of detective work. Instead, he engaged in self-justified mass-surveilance of the citizenry. fascist. Fuck Nolan. He ruined Batman and made him a mopey lisper


Posed as a criminal to learn about criminal operations
Literally did ballistics analysis on bullet holes
Found Selina Kyle
Predicted Joker’s targets

Just y’know for instance

 


Also detective shit doth not a good movie make. Only one facet of Batman’s mythology

demonrail666 06.19.2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Also detective shit doth not a good movie make.


Humphrey Bogart disagrees

Rob Instigator 06.19.2018 02:35 PM

detective shit is like one of the PILLARS of film

Severian 06.19.2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
detective shit is like one of the PILLARS of film


Bitch itís barely one of the pillars of Batman, bitch

noisereductions 06.19.2018 07:08 PM

I enjoy my manchild comicbook films personally.

!@#$%! 06.19.2018 07:11 PM

and here goes yet another page of comic movies serious business and while the hilarity exists it’s just such a waste of breath in the end.

this is exactly what i was talking about ha ha.

anyway i’m off to another post to talk about gloomy, overwrought arthouse “films” so that i can feel oh so adult in my choices :D :D :D

but no, seriously, i like adult responses to adult problems and complications. not just that they help me live... i also can relate.

!@#$%! 06.19.2018 07:20 PM

ssssoooo.... i’ve paused filmstruck for the duration of the world cup (though i might restart it before the end) and the last thing i was able to catch was a merchant/ivory gig, THE WHITE COUNTESS (2005)

 


i was of the impression that merchant/ivory films had gone the way of the 90s but no, they seem to still have endured into our century though i haven’t checked how far.

ANYWAY. james ivory directed. ralph fiennes and natasha richardson star. fiennes everybody knows about. natasha richardson i didn’t fucking know and i’m sorry i didn’t and i’m even sorrier she’s dead. i knew of her reported death but i didn’t know who she was at the time except for “the wife of... has died” etc etc

so. the white countess. it’s a kazuo ishiguro script, apparently an original one and not derived from a book.

while this should be all about the writing, in itself the movie is a bit thin on plot— there’s a lot of brooding, and subtext, and looks into space, and overwrought arthouse shit and sometimes just cheesy shit for the tourists. this is bothersome.

but there is a plot after all, and it’s a very good one— it’s about war war 2, and failure, and fear of living, and epicurean gardens, and... the shanghai russians! whom i knew nothing about until the weekend. the shanghai russians were white russians (lookit up, it’s not a racial thing) taking refuge in china post-bolshevik revolution. that was a bit of history i had never heard about. and it was great to find out.

anyway it was a good movie and i liked it. made me thinkof what would i do in case of war, since it seems to be one around the corner for some reason. made me think of the fragility of epicurean gardens. made me think of what would i have to realistically do to survive if i had to flee. etc etc. but anyway, yeah, good little story, a bit of cheesy moments, but o well, it’s merchant fucking ivory, what do you want? a chunk of cheese is the price of admission. still, worth it.

oh, the other good thing about the movie, besides the actors and the bit of history thrown into it and the plot after all, is the cinematography by christopher doyle, who does all the wong kar-wai movies, or has done most of them anyway, not sure. is this his best film? sure as shit not. is it fucking good? yes yes it is. does it at time serve cheesy moments? yes, okay, yes, it does add to the lard at times. but the man is a real fucking pro. admirable work. as always.

okay children, you can get back to discussing CAPES for fucs sakes.

i had a batman scooter when i was 3, i recall.

 


not a rosebud though. don’t miss it.

tw2113 06.19.2018 09:38 PM

Let's all return to the discussion of serious cinema...Howard The Duck.

noisereductions 06.19.2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Let's all return to the discussion of serious cinema...Howard The Duck.


Ha!

In all seriousness sev you need to see Infinity War before spoilers get to you .

!@#$%! 06.19.2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Let's all return to the discussion of serious cinema...Howard The Duck.

iíve never seen that

wazzit abowt?

tw2113 06.19.2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
iíve never seen that

wazzit abowt?





A duck named Howard


almost beastiality


80s camp


Jeffrey Jones being creepy


Technically a comic book movie by Marvel...32 years ago.


Howard the character has appeared in both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, from my understanding

!@#$%! 06.19.2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
almost beastiality

oh! hmmm....

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Howard the character has appeared in both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, from my understanding

let’s just... not go there xD xD xD

_tunic_ 06.20.2018 04:18 AM

ok. real movies. Let's discuss the two best Dutch movies ever made!:
New Kids Turbo (2010)

New Kids Nitro (2011)



go watch them. Right now!

Severian 06.20.2018 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Ha!

In all seriousness sev you need to see Infinity War before spoilers get to you .


Itís not in the theater near me anymore. Already gone. Iím pretty familiar with the comics so I can guess at some of the big shit that happens.

!@#$%! 06.21.2018 10:50 AM

oh shit wrong thread bha ha ha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth