Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

demonrail666 11.23.2016 05:44 PM

The Witch

A late candidate for my film of the year

!@#$%! 11.23.2016 05:58 PM

^^ what is that, brotherham?

Severian 11.23.2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
^^ what is that, brotherham?

Oh man, best horror of 2015 easy! Must watch!

demonrail666 11.23.2016 06:12 PM

It's marketed as a horror film but plays out more like a witch-trial era fairy tale. But even that doesn't really prepare you for it. It's almost indescribable. The dialogue is entirely in olde English which I can see putting a lot of people off but I definitely recommend it. Just approach it with an open mind, and perhaps an appropriate dictionary.

!@#$%! 11.23.2016 06:15 PM

oh holy shit

my wife read beowulf in the original so she should get a kick out of this stuff

(i'll just put on subtitles)

i'm getting it

demonrail666 11.23.2016 06:17 PM

ye shall loveth t

!@#$%! 11.23.2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
ye shall loveth t

loleth

tesla69 11.23.2016 06:41 PM

London Has Fallen

great action film and agitprop

!@#$%! 11.23.2016 07:54 PM

johnny english-- mr.bean is good at slapstick

LifeDistortion 11.23.2016 08:16 PM

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Witch, still haven't rewatched it since seeing it in theaters, I've been looking forward to revisiting it. Rocky Horror Picture Show is fun for what it is. Maybe it feels blah to audiences now that so much of what its celebrating has become more accepted for people in their teens to 30's. All the counter-culture aspects of it doesn't feel so rebellious in 2016.

Severian 11.24.2016 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's marketed as a horror film but plays out more like a witch-trial era fairy tale. But even that doesn't really prepare you for it. It's almost indescribable. The dialogue is entirely in olde English which I can see putting a lot of people off but I definitely recommend it. Just approach it with an open mind, and perhaps an appropriate dictionary.

I didn't think it was tough to understand really. Loved the guy who played the dad (what a voice!). It is definitely not your average horror film, and skirts art-house a bit ... almost reminiscent of parts of Anti-Christ (the most fucked up movie ever made, btw).

Anyway, I loved it. The ending is what has been problematic for some people from what I've heard. I was fine with it though. The whole movie was good, several parts were downright horrifying. Good stuff. :)

noisereductions 11.24.2016 12:50 AM

I thought it was great but did have a tough time with dialogue. I would rewatch with closed captions.

I thought Antichrist was terrible btw.

!@#$%! 11.24.2016 01:00 AM

i loved antichrist. my wife couldn't finish it, but i was enthralled.

HenryHill51 11.24.2016 03:04 AM

Few things I've seen:

1. The Love Witch (2016)- Great to watch a star like Samantha Robinson being born. The sheer embodiment of carnal treachery, perfectly sculptured cheekbones and all. If you like 70's grindhouse or Elvira Presents films, this pastiche with intelligence is for you.

2. Arrival (2016)- Denis Villeneuve is, quite simply, working on a different level than most filmmakers right now. The perfect match of human fiction with sci-fi brain melt. People are calling this the closest we have to Tarkovsky-esque sci-fi and I tend to agree.

3. The Edge of Seventeen (2016)- Equal parts formulaic and refreshing, held together by a tremendous Hailee Stendfield performance. As if we already didn't know she'd be great after "True Grit".

4. Elle (2016)- A woman (Isabelle Huppert) whose more comfortable buying pepper spray and sharp objects than groceries. A perverse, complex delight from Dutch auteur Paul Verhoeven.

5. Los Punks: We Are All We Have (2015)- Documentary about the grassroots underground latino punk scene in Los Angeles. Could have been great, but it gets stuck in boring profiles and brain-fried people sloshing about.

6. Black Rose Mansion (1969)- The always interesting Kinji Fukusaku attempts film noir with a cabaret singer who seems to attract and destroy every man she meets. Psychedelic 60's Japanese stuff. Way cool.

7. Doctor Strange (2016)- Walked out halfway through. I just can't take these CGI superhero films anymore.

8. The Cut (2014)- Turkish filmmaker Fatih Akin's ode to Elia Kazan with a sprawling exploration of one man's survival from the Armenian genocide and his propulsive search for his missing twin daughters. Sad, humane and infuriating.

9. No Blade of Grass (1970)- Surprisingly brutal Cornel Wilde apocalypse film that doesn't shy away from the rape of a young girl, the main character murdering when needed and a pretty hopeless trek across a collapsing society. Not on DVD but can be found on the world wide web if you look hard enough.

10. Salute (1929)- Working my way through all of John Ford's films and this one, so far, is the worst. The worst, Jerry! The Worst!

demonrail666 11.24.2016 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHill51

1. The Love Witch (2016)- Great to watch a star like Samantha Robinson being born. The sheer embodiment of carnal treachery, perfectly sculptured cheekbones and all. If you like 70's grindhouse or Elvira Presents films, this pastiche with intelligence is for you.

Sold

noisereductions 11.24.2016 09:09 AM

yeah, you've got my attention.

dead_battery 11.24.2016 09:21 AM

just watched akira in an indie cinema here.

i bought a region 1 dvd import of this movie for £25, back when anime was something you couldn't get in the uk. in fact the guy who ran the comic book store that had it asked me if i was sure i wanted to buy it because of the region issue. i could only play it 3 times on my computer because after changing region 3 times it would lock. i did not regret buying it for one moment. i think this must have been around 2001 or 2002. this was the dubbed version (and it's a decent dub).

i watched the subbed version last night in a small cinema with the volume level almost loud enough to hurt. it was spectacular. even the uncomfortable chairs and giggling hipsters in the audience couldn't ruin it.

ilduclo 11.24.2016 10:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLSveRGmpIE

Severian 11.24.2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery
just watched akira in an indie cinema here.

i bought a region 1 dvd import of this movie for £25, back when anime was something you couldn't get in the uk. in fact the guy who ran the comic book store that had it asked me if i was sure i wanted to buy it because of the region issue. i could only play it 3 times on my computer because after changing region 3 times it would lock. i did not regret buying it for one moment. i think this must have been around 2001 or 2002. this was the dubbed version (and it's a decent dub).

i watched the subbed version last night in a small cinema with the volume level almost loud enough to hurt. it was spectacular. even the uncomfortable chairs and giggling hipsters in the audience couldn't ruin it.

Akira is just amazing. Perhaps the best anime movie of all time. Like the Apocalypse Now of anime. Maybe Princess Mononoke is up there with it. But yeah, I'd kill to see it on a big screen.

Severian 11.24.2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHill51
Few things I've seen:

2. Arrival (2016)- Denis Villeneuve is, quite simply, working on a different level than most filmmakers right now. The perfect match of human fiction with sci-fi brain melt. People are calling this the closest we have to Tarkovsky-esque sci-fi and I tend to agree.

Oh man I really want to see this. My father seemed a bit unimpressed. He was looking forward to it I guess, but said it was "slow and ponderous." Though my father and I don't really talk (those were two of the five words from his monthly email) so I don't know what the fuck that even meant.