Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

gmku 08.07.2006 09:54 AM

Melvins - Houdini

I can't believe there aren't more Melvins fans among the SY fans.

raging_nelly 08.07.2006 10:44 AM

kaitO - You've Seen Us... You Must Have Seen Us

foldback 08.07.2006 10:46 AM

Because, sometimes, you have to.

nomadicfollower 08.07.2006 11:04 AM

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Range Life is one of my favorite songs.
'If I could settle down, then I would settle down'

drrrtyboots 08.07.2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yippeeeeeeeeeeeeee! good choice

didn't john quit the band? i wonder how they are doing in the guitar dept. though i didn't like the men signing in the runners four. it's 100% satomi for me.

Chris Cohen quit the band, their second the guitarist. They can play without him (i've seen videos of them opening for radiohead) but there is a little bit lacking in the guitar dept. Nonetheless, they will be awesome this sunday.

porkmarras 08.07.2006 12:09 PM

porkmarras 08.07.2006 12:45 PM

and now this

Cantankerous 08.07.2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

hoarder. got an original vinyl that you could sell me for very, very cheap? :D

i do, but i'm not selling it.

RdTv 08.07.2006 12:52 PM

Nightmares On Wax - DJ Kicks

Hip Priest 08.07.2006 01:04 PM

The Fall's Bend Sinister

!@#$%! 08.07.2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
No, not an original pressing--if yer referring to the original object of our attention, which was Blonde on Blonde. Only nice reissued vinyl of that one. So far.

oh man. i thought you had 5 copies of the first VU album. im not a big dylan fan im afraid-- i know he's great etc etc-- it's just my own natural deviation against it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantakerous
i do, but i'm not selling it.

yes, but i know where you live, so lock your windows...

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Chris Cohen quit the band, their second the guitarist. They can play without him (i've seen videos of them opening for radiohead) but there is a little bit lacking in the guitar dept. Nonetheless, they will be awesome this sunday.

oh hm im jealous. not in a bad way-- i just didn't have a chance to see them doing this tour. have fun! take pictures if you can and of course bootlegs are welcome :D

gmku 08.07.2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

oh man. i thought you had 5 copies of the first VU album. im not a big dylan fan im afraid-- i know he's great etc etc-- it's just my own natural deviation against it.

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I do have 5 copies of the first VU album. But none of them are first-pressing copies. That would mean a copy with the peel-able banana from 1966. I have: a German-made Polydor pressing (kind of cheesy, no gatefold); a 1990 CD; and three recent gatefold reissues (one regular stereo copy, one banana-yellow vinyl copy, and one mono-mix copy).

I have only one copy of Blonde on Blonde, a M- vinyl copy pressed in the 1980s. Again, of course, hardly an original. And only in stereo, not the rare mono mix.

scott v 08.07.2006 02:18 PM

Monotract: Xprmntl Lvrs
Borbetomagus: s/t 1st LP
Borbetomagus: Barbed Wire Maggots
Don Deitrich/Jim Sauter: Bells Together
Borbetomagus: Borbeto jam
Dredd Foole & The Din: The Whys of Fire

Savage Clone 08.07.2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I do have 5 copies of the first VU album. But none of them are first-pressing copies. That would mean a copy with the peel-able banana from 1966. I have: a German-made Polydor pressing (kind of cheesy, no gatefold); a 1990 CD; and three recent gatefold reissues (one regular stereo copy, one banana-yellow vinyl copy, and one mono-mix copy).

I have only one copy of Blonde on Blonde, a M- vinyl copy pressed in the 1980s. Again, of course, hardly an original. And only in stereo, not the rare mono mix.

My former employer has a fairly decent original of that first VU LP with an unpeeled banana; PM if you want the hookup.

gmku 08.07.2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
My former employer has a fairly decent original of that first VU LP with an unpeeled banana; PM if you want the hookup.

Wow. You mean, to sell? Probably too rich for my blood, I'm sure.

Savage Clone 08.07.2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Wow. You mean, to sell? Probably too rich for my blood, I'm sure.

It's 85 bucks, and it's VG+. He has a super-mint original of White Light/White Heat w/ "Skull" cover for 60, which I think is a better value, personally. Either one is a pretty good deal as far as collector prices go though, IMO.

gmku 08.07.2006 02:42 PM

Yeah, those aren't bad prices, really. I've probably spent enough on VU recently though.

LittlePuppetBoy 08.07.2006 02:43 PM

White Light/White Heat

gmku 08.07.2006 02:43 PM

Love it.

Savage Clone 08.07.2006 02:44 PM

Yeah, if I had 5 copies, I wouldn't be in much of a hurry to spend 85 bones on a 6th.