Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 05.04.2016 11:04 AM

Not that Aphex Twin and Kanye don't revel in plenty of anxious the near, but RDJ's done so much in so many different styles and formats that if the panicky glitch shit isn't working for you, you can throw on some of his ambient material, or his more emotionless cascading labyrinthine jams, a la Syro, and Kanye always makes room for sex references and jokes a plenty to deflate the musical tension a bit.

Radiohead, despite all their purported genius, doesn't seem to actually know how to not be devastatingly grim, all the fucking time. It's exhausting.

noisereductions 05.04.2016 12:31 PM

I actually don't disagree.

I mean, both In Rainbows and King Of Limbs ended up in my year end Top 10 lists, but at the same time I feel like for the past decade plus, Radiohead have suffered the fate of sounding like Radiohead. Like, I love the band. But nothing they've done after Amnesiac has really felt all that different. I mean there were moments, sure. But as albums it's not like the transitions from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A/Amnesiac where every album was like OMG what will they do next? Y'know? They've gotten into a groove of "here's a new Radiohead album" and you hear it and you're like "oh yeah. That's what it is. A new Radiohead album. I still like that band."

louder 05.04.2016 01:15 PM

The new song is just nice at best for me. I've heard it 3-4 times. Meh.

louder 05.04.2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah. I heard about/watched/listened to it.

Not sure what I actually think at the moment. I've been sick of Radiohead's gloominess for the better part of 20 years. If they really wanted to shake things up, they'd make music that, for once, was not about socio-cultural, economic, political and personal anxiety and panic.

It's a good song, but no part of me was dying to hear a Radiohead song about neo-McCarthyism. In other words, I think they've pretty well covered all the different types of anxiety and dread that I have any interest in re- experiencing aurally.

At least with There There, Myxomatosis, etc. there was a nice crunchy groove to take my mind off the incessant claustrophobia ad doomism of the lyrics. As "varied" and "innovative" as the band has been, one thing they've never even attempted is uplifting music. And Jesus, that depressing shit gets old after 2˝ decades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

I mean, both In Rainbows and King Of Limbs ended up in my year end Top 10 lists, but at the same time I feel like for the past decade plus, Radiohead have suffered the fate of sounding like Radiohead. Like, I love the band. But nothing they've done after Amnesiac has really felt all that different. I mean there were moments, sure. But as albums it's not like the transitions from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A/Amnesiac where every album was like OMG what will they do next? Y'know? They've gotten into a groove of "here's a new Radiohead album" and you hear it and you're like "oh yeah. That's what it is. A new Radiohead album. I still like that band."

So true.

louder 05.04.2016 01:16 PM

So Jay is really working on a response album to Lemonade:
http://www.complex.com/music/2016/05...yonce-lemonade

Rob Instigator 05.04.2016 01:24 PM

Jay Z will title it "You want Lemonade? I give you Golden Showers'

noisereductions 05.04.2016 01:27 PM

whether this is real drama or a fabricated marketing move, they both win. Drama like this would shift more units than if they had just made a whole album together y'know?

Either way, remember when I said that Jay is best when he's got a concept to push him to write about SOMETHING? Like on Am Gangster? I mean, he wrote that shit as a character - and it still was the best thing he'd done since The Blueprint.

Rob Instigator 05.04.2016 01:53 PM

I just don;t give a shit about anything a 50 year old multi-millionaire wishes to rap about.

noisereductions 05.04.2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I just don;t give a shit about anything a 50 year old multi-millionaire wishes to rap about.

how old is Scarface?

Rob Instigator 05.04.2016 02:24 PM

I don't give a shit what 'Face raps about anymore either....

Rob Instigator 05.04.2016 02:26 PM

he has a "net worth" of $500,000.... far far far lower than Jay Z or P Diddy or Kanyeeee

louder 05.04.2016 02:28 PM

I'll judge the album when it drops.. if it's good then it's good. We'll see.

noisereductions 05.04.2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
he has a "net worth" of $500,000.... far far far lower than Jay Z or P Diddy or Kanyeeee

haha whatever - I was giving you a hard time.

I don't care who has how much or who's dating who or whatever. Good albums are good and bad ones are bad.

louder 05.04.2016 02:48 PM

Joe Budden calls VIEWS mediocre, says Drake sounds uninspired, misses the old Drake: https://www.instagram.com/p/BE_Lob1u7Nk/

Can't help but agree.

noisereductions 05.04.2016 04:02 PM

well that answers the question that was on everyones' minds... WHAT DOES JOE BUDDEN THINK OF THE NEW DRAKE ALBUM? :D

louder 05.04.2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

well that answers the question that was on everyones' minds... WHAT DOES JOE BUDDEN THINK OF THE NEW DRAKE ALBUM? :D

LOL.. what do you think about the album though?? That's what I'd like to know.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.04.2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah. I heard about/watched/listened to it.

Not sure what I actually think at the moment. I've been sick of Radiohead's gloominess for the better part of 20 years. If they really wanted to shake things up, they'd make music that, for once, was not about socio-cultural, economic, political and personal anxiety and panic.

It's a good song, but no part of me was dying to hear a Radiohead song about neo-McCarthyism. In other words, I think they've pretty well covered all the different types of anxiety and dread that I have any interest in re- experiencing aurally.

At least with There There, Myxomatosis, etc. there was a nice crunchy groove to take my mind off the incessant claustrophobia ad doomism of the lyrics. As "varied" and "innovative" as the band has been, one thing they've never even attempted is uplifting music. And Jesus, that depressing shit gets old after 2˝ decades.

I never thought of radiohead as gloomy, i feel its a stereotype

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.04.2016 05:47 PM

I also disagree with saying radiohead all sounds the same. I hear a world of difference between King of Limbs and In Rainbows.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.04.2016 05:48 PM

Indeed i kind of thought of King of Limbs as being an uplifting record

Severian 05.04.2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

All the Radiohead songs I like best, the ones I go back to now and then, are the ones that feel fresh and are pushed by a kind of dizzy momentum. I'm talking about Airbag, Karma Police, kid a, idioteque, I Might Be Wrong, There There, Myomatosis, Separator... I NEVER sit there and think, "You know what I'd love to hear right now? Knives fucking out and pyramid song and Codex, because I really want to feel like slitting my goddamn wrists."

It probably doesn't help that I've been listening to Radiohead songs and thinking about relationships since The Bends came out. Probably doesn't help either that I am kind of a morose person in general, and I tend toward depression sometimes. But seriously, I can't listen to ANY of their albums all the way through. When I was younger there was almost a kind of youthful energy that came with feeling melancholy, but now I'm just not fucking interested.

It's sad, because I've been a fan forever, but no band is more relentlessly depressing than Radiohead. Even their "happier" songs are filled with unsettling imagery and extremely dark themes. I think a lot of it is Thom Yorke's fault. As a lyricist, he's like a slightly more dynamic Trent Reznor. It's all pigs and knives and bad acid trips. The band itself is done a disservice by this, because musically they're just about the most solidly talented 5-piece band on the planet, but they stick to this really depressing lyrical and thematic shit, and it puts them in a box.

When I do listen to Knives Out, I listen to the Flaming Lips version. Live is too bleak to sit around listening to bleak ass music all the time. This is one of the main reasons I spend so much time with hip-hop and vocalless electronic music.