Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

pepper_green 04.07.2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
hipster means hip to shit that the squares/norms are NOT.

everyone here is a fucking hipster.....

thank you! we're all dishing it out here. maybe others are a little more cruel about it. like it when fire is lit under the asses. keeps the bromance from getting too tight. ya fucking hipsters.

pepper_green 04.07.2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Ok then, maybe you're right and I'm a hipster. I got better things to worry about.

that's the spirit!!!:)

Severian 04.07.2016 06:18 PM

I hate to say it but there's no fucking way "King Push" is actually coming out in April, like Pusha T originally said. I've heard nothing about the album whatsoever since the release of Darkest Before Dawn (which is of course called "King push- Darkest Before Dawn: the Prequel," which really confuses things). No word on the release date, no mention of any albums other than DBD, which was passed over pretty quickly despite being very very good.

Fucking dumb. That's what this all is. It's dumb.

Also, a prequel, by definition, is a follow up installment to an already released story/film/album that tells the story leading up to the original. So to call Darkest Before Dawn a prequel to an album that's not even fucking out yet makes no earthly sense.

He should just call it "King Push PART ONE: Darkest before Dawn" or "Darkest before Dawn: a prelude to King Push," or better yet just leave King push the fuck out of it and just call the album Darkest Before Dawn and shit the fuck up about King Push until the albums actually ready!!! What the fuck?!

It's a great album, but the name defies logic, and I am not super pissed that I was promised a follow up in April that is very clearly not going to happen since nobody's said a goddam Word about it since 2015.

FRUSTRATION!!!

pepper_green 04.07.2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Fucking dumb. That's what this all is. It's dumb.

I think u answered yr own question. don't you have more important things to worry about?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.07.2016 08:23 PM

I just find it shocking that hipster is a total pejorative here in LA and it seems every where else yall like it as a compliment. I'm glad yall clarified cuz i was getting worried yall were a bunch of lames.

Still im in LA don't call me a hipster it doesn't mean the same thing here. Its a savage diss calling someone a disingenuous poser and scenster who cares more about the scene than the art or culture. Fuck that and fuck them

pepper_green 04.07.2016 09:16 PM

^^da fuck!! now you just rearranged my brain into my original point.

I love you guys though. really.

Severian 04.07.2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I just find it shocking that hipster is a total pejorative here in LA and it seems every where else yall like it as a compliment. I'm glad yall clarified cuz i was getting worried yall were a bunch of lames.

Still im in LA don't call me a hipster it doesn't mean the same thing here. Its a savage diss calling someone a disingenuous poser and scenster who cares more about the scene than the art or culture. Fuck that and fuck them

It's not a compliment. It's an insult, but a lot of folks describe themselves as hipsters and associate it with being cool.

the LA version might be spot on. I don't know. I some piece on Flipboard where characters from the Simpsons, Bob's Burgers and other cartoon shows were drawn as "hipsters." There were a lot of handle bar mustaches, and one of large-wheeled early 20the century French bicycles.

I don't have any idea what the fuck it "really" means. But if someone's going to call me that, I'm not going to get upset about it. I don't go nuts over microbrews, I don't ride my bike in the city, I don't wear or own a single set of suspenders, and I don't fit any of the other stereotypes that seem to currently define hipsterdom, but I've been called a hipster simply because of my taste in music and my level of activity in local music scenes. If "hipster" is the right word to describe people who are into what I'm into, then so be it.

I'm just choosing not to be offended about it.

Severian 04.07.2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
I think u answered yr own question. don't you have more important things to worry about?

I absolutely have more important things to worry about. But I'm not "worried" about Pusha T's album or what it's called.

I'm a little irritated about it, and felt the need to bitch. Do I have more important things to bitch about? Maybe. But this is the hip hop café, so ... y'know ... deal with it.

Severian 04.08.2016 09:24 AM

Ok so "Fade" is my absolute motherfuckin jam right now. It's like the long lost Yeezus track that takes the sound and style of that album to an entirely new and epic level. The pinnacle of Ye's chop n' grind Chicago drill compositions. It's almost entirely sample-based, with almost no true vocals, but the end result is so powerful, it seems to stop time every time I hear it.

Also there's a huge nod to 808's in this track, during the brief section of singing. It's like a coda to "Love Lockdown," drowning in industrial noise and and gasping for breath. And the false endings? Priceless. And what a fucking way to end the album. That tortured, evangelistic "I can feel it!!" yelp... it just really ends the album on a energetic high note. A big improvement over the previous "Wolves" ending, which makes more sense thematically but wouldn't leave you (or maybe I should say me) dying to hear more the way "Fade" does. Adding that song was the best executive decision Ye made post MSG.

Severian 04.08.2016 09:24 AM

Sorry y'all... Just getting my Ye-Ye's out for the day ;)

louder 04.08.2016 09:26 AM

I can agree with you that the production on "Fade" is next level.

noisereductions 04.08.2016 09:41 AM

noiseredux Spotify Survivor, 4/8:

Miles Davis/etc - Miles Ahead sntdrk
Deftones - Gore
Future - Evol
Heliocentrics - From The Deep
Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
Anderson Paak - Malibu
Rihanna - Anti
2 Chainz - Collegrove
Weezer - White Album
Kanye West - TLOP

...the Bill Frisell album finally got dropped after weeksss, but it's just too "samey" after a while. Plus, too much vox for my liking. And "Happy Trails" was straight cheese.

Tried to dig the new Death Grips, but couldn't hold my attention very well.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.08.2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
noiseredux Spotify Survivor, 4/8:

Miles Davis/etc - Miles Ahead sntdrk
Deftones - Gore
Future - Evol
Heliocentrics - From The Deep
Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
Anderson Paak - Malibu
Rihanna - Anti
2 Chainz - Collegrove
Weezer - White Album
Kanye West - TLOP

...the Bill Frisell album finally got dropped after weeksss, but it's just too "samey" after a while. Plus, too much vox for my liking. And "Happy Trails" was straight cheese.

Tried to dig the new Death Grips, but couldn't hold my attention very well.

Gore is out today!! Finna download it tonight after work

Severian 04.08.2016 09:53 AM

Oh hey NR, I was just about to pm you this, because I know you were like "WTF Kanye hasn't said shit a lot Phife!" and I agreed and thought it was odd.

But check this. I haven't watched it yet, but it's from a tribute show Ye helped organize and put on for Phife. A "memorial speech," from the event at the Apollo theatre on 4/5

http://youtu.be/J6Yxqh4sfRs

Severian 04.08.2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Gore is out today!! Finna download it tonight after work

Oh cool. I'm definitely going to check this out as well. I've decided to give these guys another shot. It's been years, and they seem to have done a lot of growing. I've read good things about the album (and I Fucking love LOVE that cover art... best album cover yet this year imo)

noisereductions 04.08.2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Oh hey NR, I was just about to pm you this, because I know you were like "WTF Kanye hasn't said shit a lot Phife!" and I agreed and thought it was odd.

But check this. I haven't watched it yet, but it's from a tribute show Ye helped organize and put on for Phife. A "memorial speech," from the event at the Apollo theatre on 4/5

http://youtu.be/J6Yxqh4sfRs

that was louder who made that observation.

But yeah, I wanna watch this.

I've been meaning to hear Tip's 2 hour radio show mix/tribute thing too. Have been pressed for time this month.

louder 04.08.2016 10:01 AM

Yeah it was me, he finally tweeted about him and Tribe too a couple of days ago.

KANYE WEST ‏@kanyewest Apr 6
Tribe changed music forever

His mother’s poem at the celebration brought me to tears.

All respect prayers and love to Phife’s family Thank you for so much inspiration

louder 04.08.2016 10:07 AM

New Snoh Aalegra EP (the chick who was featured on Summertime '06), featuring production by No ID, DJ Dahi, Boi-1da and more: https://soundcloud.com/snohaalegra/s...n-a-mini-album

It's really good. Her voice is reminiscent of Amy Winehouse (which really made me miss her :().

noisereductions 04.08.2016 10:29 AM

that cover art is cool.

louder 04.08.2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
that cover art is cool.

Yup! It really fits the album too.

http://i-d.vice.com/en_gb/article/tr...ced-mini-album