Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Death (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11599)

el duderino 03.23.2007 07:31 PM

Sonic Death

So what are your opinions on this early and mysterious recording?

I'm gonna download it from eMusic at some stage and i'd love to know what I'm in store for...

my basic impression from what i've read about it is that its a rather violent collage of sound, samples, tapeloops and live tracks - so it sounds pretty intriguing. Do you think it works? And how would you compare it to the other early recordings?

Cheers

greenlight 03.23.2007 07:43 PM

it depends in which sonic youth "stage" you are at the moment. I bought it back then when I knew only Goo. I wasn't ready for that album back then. It was too much noise for me, not anymore tho. listen to it after couple of years and absolutely liking it. it's not album for Goo and Dirty "type of fan", but I don't think it's your case. once you are registered on this forum, I assume that you're more then Goo and Dirty "type", hehe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by el duderino
my basic impression from what i've read about it is that its a rather violent collage of sound, samples, tapeloops and live tracks.

exactly.

Quote:

Do you think it works? And how would you compare it to the other early recordings?

what you can hear is CIS in its beginnings recorded in Europe, now I'm not sure if in US as well. what other early recordings you think of? like White Columns Gallery boot?

Protectmeyou 03.23.2007 08:03 PM

I like it, but its basically live versions of songs from "Sonic Youth" and "Confusion is sex" all spliced together, which means you rarely get to hear a song in its entirety.

Chris Lawrence 03.23.2007 08:19 PM

fuckin' greatest thing ever released by anyone ever.

el duderino 03.23.2007 08:22 PM

cheers, so i'm assuming the sound quality is not great. Not that i mind, as i'm a fan of the early live in holland disc (circa '83 i think) which has very muddy production. Do you guys reckon it has kind of a cohesive flow or vibe throughout all the carnage? Thats what I'm hoping for ;)

hirsute_biped 03.23.2007 08:28 PM

more jumpy if'n ya ask me, but it's been many moons since i put it on the gramaphone...

Magic Wheel Memory 03.24.2007 01:15 AM

I have it on casette in a box somewhere. Haven't heard it in years, but I remember thinking it was a very tough listen. One part was a dialogue between band members. I think they were hanging out somewhere and trying to decide what to eat. Someone metioned McDonald's, and Thurston said "that shit's fuckin disgusting" or something like that. (Keep in mind, this may have been in the days before the McRib sandwich was added to the menu.)

Come to think of it, I may have sold that tape. I really hope not! At the time, I had no idea how rare it was. That same store had the first EP, which I never bought, because I had no idea how rare it was.

SYRFox 03.24.2007 02:30 AM

I have it on MP3 and I really love it, but yeah, it's a really tough listen

val-holla-ing 03.24.2007 02:43 AM

i own it but i've never listened to it because i'm afraid my tape player will eat it.

greenlight 03.24.2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

cheers, so i'm assuming the sound quality is not great. Not that i mind, as i'm a fan of the early live in holland disc (circa '83 i think) which has very muddy production. Do you guys reckon it has kind of a cohesive flow or vibe throughout all the carnage? Thats what I'm hoping for ;)

sound quality is allright actually.

greenlight 03.24.2007 04:04 AM

so I should be happy, that I have my original CD then? I have never try look for it on ebay or amazon, coz i didn't have to. is it hard to find? I bought it long time ago in the shop, because it was like one cd of SY in that shop that day and it was back than when original CD was so fucking expensive thing in my country + student.

Protectmeyou 03.24.2007 05:33 AM

Well for those of you who are too scared to listen to their cassette in case it self destructs, download it from here:

http://www.badongo.com/file/2150414

password: sonic-youth.blogspot.com

el duderino 10.03.2007 03:49 AM

Finally got round to hearing this. I have to say I loved every minute - it sums up the early period of the band so well, better then the EP or CIS perhaps?

Pretty much as underrated as it gets in terms of the SY catalogue, which is shame as I think it works really well an 'album' rather than some kind of mysterious historical oddity (though maybe thats part of its charm too).

Not particularly work-safe ;) but without sounding pretentious, it really captures the pure feeling of innovation better than any other SY recording, to my ears anyways.

PAULYBEE2656 10.03.2007 05:30 AM

we have sonic youth and swans jamfest............................

finding nobody 10.03.2007 06:26 AM

Suck my dick asshole!
That's an American expression, 'Suck my dick'

Toilet & Bowels 10.03.2007 06:59 AM

sonic death changed my future

tesla69 10.03.2007 08:15 AM

absolutely essential

toxic johnny 10.03.2007 09:40 AM

I absolutely love it...

I know I say this a lot but it would be amazing if it had a vinyl re-issue.

Dreaming I was only dreaming...

Gulash 10.03.2007 04:43 PM

Hey fellow Sonic Youth fans.
I´m new here on forum, im from Denmark and please forgive if my written english arent perfect!
I have never heard the Sonic Death recording, and that irritates me because i love the early years of Sonic Youth very much, but i havent been able to find the cd issue anywere.

I just got my Daydream Nation reissue on vinyl, outstanding re-release of a great record.

el duderino 10.03.2007 04:54 PM

if you just want to check it out for free then register for this mp3 site (you get a 0.15 cent free credit if you just register) - you can then download the entire album for just 0.15 cents - just do a search for sonic youth

http://boxmp3.net/Main/

I'm definitely going to try and find a physical copy though cause this albums kicks ass!

Everyneurotic 10.03.2007 05:36 PM

i echo those "essential" sentiments.

personally, i like confusion better, but this album is fucking up there with evol or a thousand leaves.

atsonicpark 10.03.2007 05:44 PM

yeah, sonic death is cool, though my favorite of the "non-traditional-sy-songs" (?!?!) stuff is made in usa.

atsonicpark 10.03.2007 05:44 PM

(and silver sessions of course)

val-holla-ing 10.03.2007 05:48 PM

silver session is pretty ballin'. i was listening to it last night.

made in usa is one of the only full-band albums that escapes me...physically. i can't manage to snag a copy for the life of me.

CHOUT 10.03.2007 10:54 PM

Geffen had an ad around the time of the original crop of pre-Geffen lp reissues that Sonic Death was gonna be rereleased on double vinyl...:(

terminal pharmacy 10.03.2007 11:09 PM

I love SD, I have it on CD which I listen to and on Cassette which is still sealed and unplayed..........

val-holla-ing 10.03.2007 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
Geffen had an ad around the time of the original crop of pre-Geffen lp reissues that Sonic Death was gonna be rereleased on double vinyl...:(

oh that geffen...

Protectmeyou 10.07.2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i own it but i've never listened to it because i'm afraid my tape player will eat it.

worth owning