Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 06.24.2016 07:07 AM

E-40, Tha Dogg Pound, Vince Staples, Anderson .Paak, Miguel and Jadakiss features!

noisereductions 06.24.2016 07:18 AM

damn that tracklist looks solid. wow.

Severian 06.24.2016 08:08 AM

Uh, why does Schoolboy Q have a track named after the 19th century father of western environmentalism? Seriously, John Muir?

Gun to my head, if I had to guess, I would say literally none of the people on that tracklist have any idea who John Muir is. I'm dumfounded.

Severian 06.24.2016 08:10 AM

But yeah, looks solid enough. I like "That Part" a lot, but I'm not going to make any assumptions. I was excited about OxyMoron too, and all signs pointed to that being a dope record. We shall see.

Severian 06.24.2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Game went quasi-conscious on Documentary 2, with this Streets of Compton its honestly the most straight up gangsta and ruthless record I heard outside of local hood mixtapes in ten years, possibly fifteen. I mean literally, you'd have to be in a gang to honestly get like half of it. It feels entirely like a "local" rap project with ZERO intentions of if anyone else "gets it", its some shit to bump sitting in front of the pad with the homiez drinking brewz. i love it.

I feel you on this. I is almost completely gangsta'd the fuck out like a golden age Death Row record, only with hotter beats. I tend to think of myself as a East Coast dude when it comes to hip-hop, and always have, as you know. I like albums like Doggystyle, Regulate... G Funk Era, and obviously a ton of the more recent Compton (Bompton?) exports... But Streets of Compton breathes something non-presumptuous and almost elegant into the tired old "west side" trope.

I mean, even when Death Row was hot, my favorite artist on the label was Pac, an NYC boy. I just have never been very inspired by the style, sound or image of LA ganstadom. But Game is a worldly rapper, and he has far reaching tastes. This record feels like Game "doing" OG gangsta, just like he did the whole religion inspired concept thing on Jesus Piece, and — yes — put on his "conscious" hat for Documentary 2. He has a lot of different influences running through him, but this feels like an homage to his roots, and I dig it.

It probably won't be the kind of album I play all year, because for me Game isn't that kind of artist, and I tend to gravitate toward a more varied and multifaceted type of hip-hop record as far as classics are concerned. But it's a nice little stop-gap release, better than I thought it would be, and the missteps of Blood Moon: Year of the Wolf feel almost forgotten.

noisereductions 06.24.2016 10:05 AM

the crazy thing to me is that Streets Of Compton came out of nowhere, yet released the same day as Still Brazy, and has turned out to be the album I prefer between the two. Huh.

louder 06.24.2016 10:38 AM

So I really like "Thug Talk", "In My Feelings (Goin' Thru It) and "Out My Feelings (In the Past)" by Boosie Badazz.. I haven't heard "Streets of Compton" yet.

Rob Instigator 06.24.2016 10:48 AM

Dem fools ain't got nothin on Dew Baby with his "Bu$$in' Sudz" https://youtu.be/gr8ooeRtovY

;)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.24.2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
the crazy thing to me is that Streets Of Compton came out of nowhere, yet released the same day as Still Brazy, and has turned out to be the album I prefer between the two. Huh.

that is because its a better record

Rob Instigator 06.24.2016 03:28 PM

Future and DJ Esco just dropped a new mixtape http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes...rrestrial.html

louder 06.24.2016 03:38 PM

Seems like another bunch of throwaways.

Rob Instigator 06.24.2016 03:47 PM

shit man, what else are mixtapes but fun bits to tide people over? It is all music, right? all these "important" releases everyone keeps talking about are just as much "throwaways" ion the larger context of music history.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.24.2016 05:41 PM

Just finished a first listen through on Red Hots the Getaway..

you know..
its not half bad.

Its dad rock sure, but not half bad. A little polished.. kind of overkill on the harmony choruses.. kind of repetitive.. but really a solid record that I can see myself listening to again when chilling and reading a book or on the metro on my way to work.

Now on to the Swans things

louder 06.24.2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
shit man, what else are mixtapes but fun bits to tide people over? It is all music, right? all these "important" releases everyone keeps talking about are just as much "throwaways" ion the larger context of music history.

True

Severian 06.25.2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Just finished a first listen through on Red Hots the Getaway..

you know..
its not half bad.

Its dad rock sure, but not half bad. A little polished.. kind of overkill on the harmony choruses.. kind of repetitive.. but really a solid record that I can see myself listening to again when chilling and reading a book or on the metro on my way to work.

Now on to the Swans things

not sure how you're gonna feel about The Glowing Man. It's a bit of a slow burner for sure. But I think it's pretty goddamn glorious.

Severian 06.25.2016 09:35 AM

Speaking of mixtapes...

WHEN THE FUCK IS BIRDS OF THE TRAP COMING OUT? Agh!

louder 06.27.2016 04:12 AM

Amazing Prince tribute at the BET awards.. featuring Erykah Badu, Bilal, Stevie Wonder, Jennifer Hudson, Janelle Monae, Shiela E and more: http://pitchfork.com/news/66368-bet-...ilal-and-more/

Finally a tribute that does justice with the artist.

Anderson .Paak and Bey featuring Kendrick also performed earlier that night and killed it as usual.

Severian 06.27.2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Amazing Prince tribute at the BET awards.. featuring Erykah Badu, Bilal, Stevie Wonder, Jennifer Hudson, Janelle Monae, Shiela E and more: http://pitchfork.com/news/66368-bet-...ilal-and-more/

Anderson .Paak and Bey featuring Kendrick also performed earlier that night and killed it as usual.

Why didn't D'angelo do it? I thought that was going to happen.

Gotta say, as much as I like Erykah Badu, and .Paak and Janelle, I'm not really interested in hearing them pay tribute to Prince.

I'd be down as fuck to hear D play a little Purple One. Preferably from the studio, but whatever. I'd also love to hear Frank Ocean take a stab at a song or two. But... meh... I'm just not enthused about this BET performance.

Severian 06.27.2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

Why didn't D'angelo do it? I thought that was going to happen.

Gotta say, as much as I like Erykah Badu, and .Paak and Janelle, I'm not really interested in hearing them pay tribute to Prince.

I'd be down as fuck to hear D play a little Purple One. Preferably from the studio, but whatever. I'd also love to hear Frank Ocean take a stab at a song or two. But... meh... I'm just not enthused about this BET performance.

Severian 07.01.2016 10:15 AM

I could really go for some good old fashioned café chat right about now.

Anyone wanna talk about hip-hop or what have you?