Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Recommend some No Wave Music (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3639)

Washing Machine 07.01.2006 05:55 PM

Recommend some No Wave Music

Okay I'm of course a huge Sonic Youth fan and i've just started to get the early 80's albums (its taken a while, I used to not be able to stand listening to anything before 'Evol' but now i find myself enjoying 'Bad Moon Rising', 'Confusion' and the first EP) So now i've consumed and digested the early SY work i'm becoming curious about the work of their fellow 'No-Wave' contempories! any suggestions?

HaydenAsche 07.01.2006 05:56 PM

DNA
Mars

or more modern stuff:
ARAB ON RADAR
Hospitals
KK RAMPAGE

acousticrock87 07.01.2006 05:57 PM

James Chance & the Contortions
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks
Bush Tetras (sort of)

nomadicfollower 07.01.2006 05:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_wave

Scroll down for a list of no wave artists.

Washing Machine 07.01.2006 06:01 PM

any particular songs would also be helpfull :D

HaydenAsche 07.01.2006 06:02 PM

Well, I'm not really into the old no wave stuff but I really dig Arab on Radar and KK Rampage.

Check out the following AOR songs:
God is Dad
Biggest Little Prick In The Union
Herpes Simplex 2
My Mind Is A Muffler

www.myspace.com/kkrampage

Pookie 07.01.2006 06:03 PM

This is an excellent starting point.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=229816

acousticrock87 07.01.2006 06:06 PM

Bush Tetras - Snakes Crawl
James Chance - My Infatuation...Pretty much anything by him, though...Just depends on the version.

Also note that No Wave isn't necessarily going to sound anything like early Sonic Youth.

Washing Machine 07.01.2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Also note that No Wave isn't necessarily going to sound anything like early Sonic Youth.

Well im not really expecting it to, but im told (and from the small amount i've listened to) that a lot of it does have that free/aletoric (sometimes atonal) feel that the early SY albums had. I've heard a few Swans pieces buts that about it. I just figured some of the guys on here might be well versed in it and could point me to the highlights!

Danny Himself 07.01.2006 06:43 PM

There was a great band called.. uh... Sonic Youth I think. Their first two records were pretty no wave.

IntoTheGroovey 07.01.2006 06:47 PM

If you can find No New York pick that up it's great. I also have these two compilations called new york noise volume I and II which have some really good no wave stuff on them. They're kind of pricy though.

Washing Machine 07.01.2006 06:52 PM

Yeah I've heard of that 'No New York' CD, i'll have to try an find it and thanks Hayden, i've just been listening to KK Rampage on My Space, they are an incredable band!

luxinterior 07.01.2006 09:38 PM

DNA are great, as is James Chance. I am not familiar with any very current bands that are said to be No Wave.

And if you want to go in a slightly different direction, try the Birthday Party. Sometimes they are classified as No Wave, sometimes not. Mostly people are content to just call them Post-Punk, although that tells you nothing at all about what they sound like. Whenever I go on a Birthday Party listening spree, the only Sonic Youth album I feel like listening to is Bad Moon Rising. And you probably already know about Lydia Lunch since you've listened to that album. So just go from there.

acousticrock87 07.01.2006 10:28 PM

I think No Wave is techincally dead, kind of like Grunge. It was just a name given to a few bands that didn't have a whole lot in common, aside from one or two aspects, and eventually it earned it's way into new or existing genres. So the name only ended up referring to the first handful of bands.

luxinterior 07.01.2006 10:45 PM

Exactly--to imply that the Contortions sound anything like DNA by calling them both No Wave is just misleading. I wouldn't want to do that.

acousticrock87 07.01.2006 10:50 PM

Ya quite honestly, I hate DNA. And James Chance is one of my favorite musicians of all time. It's more an era/movement than a genre.

HaydenAsche 07.01.2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Yeah I've heard of that 'No New York' CD, i'll have to try an find it and thanks Hayden, i've just been listening to KK Rampage on My Space, they are an incredable band!

www.myspace.com/arabonradar
www.myspace.com/ntelos
www.myspace.com/madeinmexico

Check it.

acousticrock87 07.01.2006 10:55 PM

Actually I don't think I ever listened to AoR. They're pretty awesome.

HaydenAsche 07.01.2006 11:00 PM

They make me wanna have sex. So dirty. So violent. So beautiful.

m^a(t)h 07.01.2006 11:39 PM

i hate arab on radar, they seem very stuck up...