Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How fastidious are you about how things and envoirements sound? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4474)

porkmarras 07.25.2006 07:51 AM

How fastidious are you about how things and envoirements sound?

I'm a particularly fastidious person when it comes to sound.I have a problem with a lot of public envoirements because of the carelessness in wich sound is contained or spread.The same goes for tons of music that is played live.Are you?

Tokolosh 07.25.2006 08:30 AM

I hate music played in most malls, doctors/dentists waiting rooms, lifts,
funfairs, between bands at festivals, shops, markets. I think it's very important to know what, where and when to play something.

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:41 AM

are you just talking about noise in general? like the sounds of cars and people walking and stuff?

porkmarras 07.25.2006 08:43 AM

Those are more related to actual mutating soundscapes.I'm talking more about man made envoiremental acoustics.

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:44 AM

oh, in that case I agree. I thought you were talking about what I said, in which case I would have to call you a dumbass for complaining about the inevitable :)

porkmarras 07.25.2006 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
oh, in that case I agree. I thought you were talking about what I said, in which case I would have to call you a dumbass for complaining about the inevitable :)

Careful there.

porkmarras 07.25.2006 08:47 AM

Or else go and take a soundwalk on the wildside.

afterthefact 07.25.2006 08:55 AM

I know a hint when I hear one...

porkmarras 07.25.2006 11:08 AM

Can we stay on topic for once?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.25.2006 11:09 AM

A little bit, I am.

porkmarras 07.25.2006 11:10 AM

Cool.In what way?

afterthefact 07.25.2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Can we stay on topic for once?

I always intend to, but it's just so damn hard...

Hip Priest 07.25.2006 11:26 AM

I like being in train stations, and the collection of sounds is very much a part of that. Liverpool Lime Street is very fine for all of that kind of thing.

porkmarras 07.25.2006 11:31 AM

Train stations are a favourite hunt when i record stuff.One particular favourite is Stratford station.Something about the way it is build makes it sound almost relaxing.Warehouses are another must(mainly the abandoned kind).What i can't stand is pubs that play loud music on cheap speakers.They are damaging and pointless.Crowd chatter is another sound that goes in and out of fashion round here.

Lipslikewindows 07.25.2006 11:35 AM

I generally hate the shrill sounds of construction in NYC. Sometimes it's kind of interesting I suppose. As far as pickiness when it comes to listening to music, thing have to be perfect. I don't own an Ipod or anything. I really have to be at home or somewhere private with a turntable or headphones or something. I've kinda gone ridiculously overboard in making listening to music a "sacred" thing for me.

porkmarras 07.25.2006 11:37 AM

Funnily the sound of buildings being built reminds sometimes of Sonic Youth's music in the 80s.

Glice 07.25.2006 12:29 PM

I don't like a lot of live music. I'm not sure if it's because I'm sensitive to sounds or because I end up being insanely critical.

Off the top of my head, one of my favourite sounds is between Green Park and Victoria where it goes round the bend and you get this unGodly racket for about 20 seconds. It's amazing noise, and it's only there if you're listening...

porkmarras 07.25.2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I don't like a lot of live music. I'm not sure if it's because I'm sensitive to sounds or because I end up being insanely critical.

Off the top of my head, one of my favourite sounds is between Green Park and Victoria where it goes round the bend and you get this unGodly racket for about 20 seconds. It's amazing noise, and it's only there if you're listening...

I'm totally sensitive to sound myself and that's why i rarely enjoy live music.Something about my ears has become an entity in itself that decides when certain frequencies should deserve a life or not.I love sound and the way it travels(sonicl if you are out there,remember our conversation last friday?) in its multiple aspects.

jon boy 07.25.2006 01:05 PM

i dont like bare brick basements for gigs because its just so loud and the smallest sound is amplified too much.

i used to know a busker in leeds who played outside the drains so that the sound would be amplifies down the street through the others. he claimed it travelled through the sewers.

k-krack 07.25.2006 01:07 PM

i don't find myself over-analyzing too much music sound in public, music is what it is, be it played on shitty speakers or good speakers. i love when music or sound reverbs and echoes in long, empty hallways. it hasn't happened much to me, but when it does, i love it. i like listening to the sounds everywhere, be it birds and such, or just the bus going by, i like analyzing how different it sounds, and listening to it as it becomes less and less audible...