Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you think new songs will debut at the upcoming shows? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20833)

viewtiful_alan 03.31.2008 08:26 AM

Do you think new songs will debut at the upcoming shows?

They've had a good time off, do you think we will see some new songs from these shows?

Anyone planning to go tape the shows and find out?

Sonic Youth 37 03.31.2008 08:59 AM

Yes!! (I hope). I'll be at one of them, so I'm really hoping for some new tunes.

viewtiful_alan 03.31.2008 09:15 AM

Will you be recording?
Something tells me there will be minimal Daydream... XD

Sonic Youth 37 03.31.2008 10:13 AM

No, I have no gear to record. I'm sure someone will be though.

As for DDN, hopefully they'll play Teen Age Riot at least, it's my friends favorite song and she couldn't got to Pitchfork with me.

SYRFox 03.31.2008 11:21 AM

I don't think they will debut new songs. I don't know, that's not the kind of things they did lately if I'm correct. That would be really cool if they did though. Animal Collective for instance always play their new songs live like 1 or 2 years before they're on a record and it's really great to hear them evolving

mil_pl 03.31.2008 02:03 PM

they already got new songs ?? thurston said that when they will wrote new material ?

greenlight 03.31.2008 05:24 PM

no. i don't think so. not yet.

Pessimist 03.31.2008 06:45 PM

Do they have anything new to play?

drrrtyboots 03.31.2008 07:25 PM

Free Kitten will secretly be playing under the moniker of Sonic Youth at all of these upcoming shows and debut their new material. SECRETS OUT.

Dead-Air 03.31.2008 07:29 PM

It seems weird to me that so many people are voting no. Of course they will. Thurston said they would have a new track for the Starbucks comp. and they always try new stuff live when they've got it. Having toured Daydream Nation to death, I'm pretty sure they are anxious to try new stuff, and will be writing some of it on tour.

barnaclelapse 03.31.2008 10:08 PM

See, that's what I figured.

I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't bust out a whole bunch of new songs.

Dead-Air 03.31.2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaclelapse
See, that's what I figured.

I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't bust out a whole bunch of new songs.

It might be too soon for a whole bunch, but I'd bet on one or two. They were playing "Expressway to Your Skull" at the end of the Bad Moon Rising tour when I saw them, and it's really always been that way ever since.

SYRFox 04.01.2008 01:21 AM

No. I read an interview of Thurston where he said that they didn't need to test the material live before it's on the record anymore... They used to, but I don't think they're doing this anymore

SYRFox 04.01.2008 01:29 AM

Well here's the extract from the interview, it's not exactly that. It's in Versus Magazine (now Noise Magazine) #8:
Thurston, in the Daydream Nation era you said you needed to play tracks live before you record them, but that's not something you always do anymore?

Thurston: Well, it's true that it's ideal but that's not always possible unfortunately
Steve: Our songs are constantly evolving, it's sure, before or after the recording. Live, there's in effect more things going on.
Lee: Often, when you record a track, it's not really complete, so in a way it's true that it's better to test it and finish it in gigs, playing it in tour before you get in the studio. But on the other hand it's also as interesting to check the shift between the finished track and it's "sketch" recorded before you model it live. Often, when we listen to our past albums, we feel this impression of "unfinished", we listen certain tracks and some things appear not really defined to us, but these versions keep a testimony value, they are manifests of the primitive form of the tracks

Dead-Air 04.01.2008 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Well here's the extract from the interview, it's not exactly that. It's in Versus Magazine (now Noise Magazine) #8:
Thurston, in the Daydream Nation era you said you needed to play tracks live before you record them, but that's not something you always do anymore?

Thurston: Well, it's true that it's ideal but that's not always possible unfortunately
Steve: Our songs are constantly evolving, it's sure, before or after the recording. Live, there's in effect more things going on.
Lee: Often, when you record a track, it's not really complete, so in a way it's true that it's better to test it and finish it in gigs, playing it in tour before you get in the studio. But on the other hand it's also as interesting to check the shift between the finished track and it's "sketch" recorded before you model it live. Often, when we listen to our past albums, we feel this impression of "unfinished", we listen certain tracks and some things appear not really defined to us, but these versions keep a testimony value, they are manifests of the primitive form of the tracks

Yeah, that's not what is being said at all, except by the interviewer in the question. Thurston says he prefers to try songs live first, but that they can't always do so. I'm sure what that means is that by the time their next record comes out, they'll have tried some of the songs live, but maybe not all, because they'll need to get the record done.

So at a juncture like this where they've had a record out for a couple years and been touring on a record that's two decades old, I'd be shocked if they weren't ready to try some new stuff live.

greenlight 04.01.2008 04:09 AM

hope i'm wrong about that they wont play new songs yet, but Lee said in april that they haven't started to write new material yet. now or he gave me a diplomatic answer trying keep the secret about new album or he was telling facts, i don't know now.

SYRFox 04.01.2008 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I'm sure what that means is that by the time their next record comes out, they'll have tried some of the songs live, but maybe not all, because they'll need to get the record done.

Actually this interview dates back to the Rather Ripped era, in 2006, so it's not specifically about their next record I'd say

mil_pl 04.01.2008 05:56 AM

i hope they play at least one new song.

Dead-Air 04.01.2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Actually this interview dates back to the Rather Ripped era, in 2006, so it's not specifically about their next record I'd say

I wasn't being specific either, I meant "next record" in that there is always a next record. At least, I hope there is always a next record!

SYRFox 04.01.2008 02:48 PM

Okay.