Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lil Wayne - Dedication 3 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28222)

noisereductions 11.20.2008 09:44 AM

Lil Wayne - Dedication 3

Viewtiful, I'm looking at you...

Pfork gave it a really, really bad review. And I hate Drama yelling. But still, I gotta hear this one. Did you get it yet? Did any of you? What's the deal?

wellcharge 11.20.2008 11:50 AM

wayne mixtapes come out really often and aren't usually good

however, i absolutely can not wait until 5 years from now, when you'll be able to walk into any thrift store and see piles of wayne mixtapes for $2

until then i'm going to stay really picky about which music i listen to by him

noisereductions 11.20.2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
wayne mixtapes come out really often and aren't usually good

wrong. I have lots of his mixtapes that are very good. Many of us on here recently agreed that THE DROUGHT IS OVER 2 is as good as or better than THA CARTER III for instance. And DEDICATION 2 is one of my favorite releases by him ever. Ever.

batreleaser 11.20.2008 12:21 PM

I used to like Lil Wayne before everyone else thought he was the best rapper around, which he sure as hell isn't. Listening to the Carter 3 and noticing the reaction it got, Lil Wayne surely to me is just a representation to how low expectations for Hip Hop have become. A rapper who talks about nothing other than pussy, money, sports, and drugs over mediocre party beats can be hailed as a genius, its just baffling. The guy has a mean flow, but he hasn't done anything inventive or boundary pushing, etc..

I miss mid-90's hip hop man, when new albums bu Wu Tang, Gangstarr, Scarface, Gravediggaz, Biggie, Nas, etc.. would often come out on the same days or consecutive weeks, etc.. I'm pretty sure the first Wu record and the first Biggie came out within one week, I could be wrong, but hip hop fanatics had it made back then.

noisereductions 11.20.2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
I used to like Lil Wayne before everyone else thought he was the best rapper around, which he sure as hell isn't. Listening to the Carter 3 and noticing the reaction it got, Lil Wayne surely to me is just a representation to how low expectations for Hip Hop have become. A rapper who talks about nothing other than pussy, money, sports, and drugs over mediocre party beats can be hailed as a genius, its just baffling. The guy has a mean flow, but he hasn't done anything inventive or boundary pushing, etc..

I miss mid-90's hip hop man, when new albums bu Wu Tang, Gangstarr, Scarface, Gravediggaz, Biggie, Nas, etc.. would often come out on the same days or consecutive weeks, etc.. I'm pretty sure the first Wu record and the first Biggie came out within one week, I could be wrong, but hip hop fanatics had it made back then.

Dude, I was a ridiculous junky of 90's hip hop, so I know what yr saying. But I still disagree. Wayne is phenominal. He was before everyone liked him, and he still is even though everyone likes him.

noisereductions 11.20.2008 12:36 PM

I just want to add, this sort of backlash is really predictable. I'm sure we'll all love him again after he falls off the charts.

wellcharge 11.20.2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
wrong. I have lots of his mixtapes that are very good. Many of us on here recently agreed that THE DROUGHT IS OVER 2 is as good as or better than THA CARTER III for instance. And DEDICATION 2 is one of my favorite releases by him ever. Ever.

yeah, but the carter 3 has some shitty ass filler, i haven't heard any releases from him that are all good, but i've heard some with no good tracks at all

pretty much everything he's ever released is pretty disposable, there's a bunch of lil wayne i can enjoy over and over, but not that many, i don't think any of his albums/mixtapes are good as a whole

batreleaser 11.20.2008 01:09 PM

I like the Dedication 2, that's the only thing by him I'd still listen to given the chance.

noisereductions 11.20.2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
yeah, but the carter 3 has some shitty ass filler, i haven't heard any releases from him that are all good, but i've heard some with no good tracks at all

pretty much everything he's ever released is pretty disposable, there's a bunch of lil wayne i can enjoy over and over, but not that many, i don't think any of his albums/mixtapes are good as a whole

we're going to have to agree to disagree because, well I just disagree with everything you said in this post.

Glice 11.20.2008 01:44 PM

Right. I'm going to have to download some now. Where's the place to start?

noisereductions 11.20.2008 01:46 PM

THE DROUGHT IS OVER 2
DEDICATION 2
DA DROUGHT 3

start there, then get back to me once yr comfy with those.

lechaoscestmoi 11.20.2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

I used to like Lil Wayne before everyone else thought he was the best rapper around

baller.

NWRA 11.20.2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Lil Wayne surely to me is just a representation to how low expectations for Hip Hop have become. A rapper who talks about nothing other than pussy, money, sports, and drugs over mediocre party beats can be hailed as a genius, its just baffling. The guy has a mean flow, but he hasn't done anything inventive or boundary pushing, etc..

I've been trying to get into hiphop after not listening to any for years (when I used to be obsessed with it), so I thought I would check-out Lil Wayne and I'm baffled as to why he's so popular, especially with the Pitchfork crowd. It's a Stepford Wives moment when you wonder if the rest of the World (well, a number of Internet users) have been pre-programmed to adore Lil Wayne and only you have been left with an independent mind. His music seems indistinguishable from any Rap'n'bullshit that you see on music TV, the same party beats (as you say) and moronic lyrics (don't his fans feel embarrassed about that Lollipop song which copies 50 Cent's licking-candy-as-fellatio concept?). I've read so many articles about what an interesting character he is but all based on a few second-hand Flavor Flav-isms during his concerts.

I think the last hiphop album that I really enjoyed was The Shining (J Dilla). Then before that Amplified, even though Q-Tip's rhymes were disappointingly jiggy the beats made-up for it.

uhler 11.20.2008 05:35 PM

i never got into lil wayne's music before he was big and will never get into his music now that he is big. i will stick to mid 90's hip-hop whenever i need to hear some hip-hop.

noisereductions 11.20.2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
and only you have been left with an independent mind.

Remember in that other thread when people were like "there's elitism on this board?" Well...

viewtiful_alan 11.20.2008 07:39 PM

I honestly haven't gotten it yet.. I'm nervous.
But what I did just buy is two tickets to his show in houston. Psyched as shit.

But yeah is it jsut me or has his productivity slowed down?
And I really haven't heard much period the end about the dedication 3. Have you heard it yet?

viewtiful_alan 11.20.2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
we're going to have to agree to disagree because, well I just disagree with everything you said in this post.

Word up.

noisereductions 11.20.2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I honestly haven't gotten it yet.. I'm nervous.
But what I did just buy is two tickets to his show in houston. Psyched as shit.

But yeah is it jsut me or has his productivity slowed down?
And I really haven't heard much period the end about the dedication 3. Have you heard it yet?

I got it t'nite, but I'm gonna listen to it on my commute tomorrow morning. I'll give you a rundown after that. I'm sort of nervous after the PFork review, but it's not like I agree with everything they say. And like I said, I almost feel a Weezy backlash is inevitable at this point, so I'm not gonna let any of it influence my listening experience.

viewtiful_alan 11.20.2008 10:44 PM

Yeah.. I mean go look at the youtube comments on wayne related videos.
I think what happened is that for whatever reason alot of people were already predetermined that they would hate Tha carter 3 and trash it completley unfairly.
Wayne needs to disassociate with Birdman and keep up his steady flow of good guest spots and he should recement the good graces he deserves

wellcharge 11.21.2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
I've been trying to get into hiphop after not listening to any for years (when I used to be obsessed with it), so I thought I would check-out Lil Wayne and I'm baffled as to why he's so popular, especially with the Pitchfork crowd.

irony; "hey i'm really underground so i'm going to listen to a really mainstream rapper aren't i open minded"

i think alot of people wouldn't like lil wayne if it wasn't the latest trend

i'm sure the big wayne fans will say different, but if you want proof other peoples opinions are a factor in wayne enjoyment.....

Quote:

I used to like Lil Wayne before everyone else thought he was the best rapper around