Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SYG Artists Compilation (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=42858)

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 04:19 PM

SYG Artists Compilation

Anyone up for this? Ideas?

Savage Clone 11.21.2010 04:29 PM

I have a few unused tracks with no home that I could pick from. I'm game.

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 04:30 PM

Yay!

_slavo_ 11.21.2010 04:36 PM

I'm in too. I might record something new for this collection.

finding nobody 11.21.2010 04:59 PM

Hey. I'd like to do one for you as well

Glice 11.21.2010 05:02 PM

This might be ideal for my recent solo 'noise' things (which aren't noisey at all).

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 05:12 PM

Who's willing to supervise the whole thing?

Savage Clone 11.21.2010 05:13 PM

I am no good at supervision, but at least I already have stuff to choose from, so deadlines shouldn't be a problem.

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 05:15 PM

Glice?

jon boy 11.21.2010 05:18 PM

i probably have some stuff that i can contribute.

hevusa 11.21.2010 05:20 PM

I'd throw a track at ya.

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 05:28 PM

The tracks should be in wav format, if possible, and only originals that haven't been online/other formats before. Ideally a physical copy of it would be better than just some downloads, so if any visual artists would like to have a go at designing the cover, packaging etc, let me know.

hevusa 11.21.2010 05:31 PM

I could master the project for you. ;)
Seriously though, I would.

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 05:33 PM

Good man, I wouldn't know where to start.

nicfit 11.21.2010 05:36 PM

me want to give it a try (talkin' bout packaging and shit, dunno, blogspot, wathever...)
find a name.

I had a similar concept in mind for non-music-related "artists" on here (or mudicians who also dwell in visual stuff or writing), a sort of online fanzine with a 2 pages space to be filled by each contributor with wathever he/she wants to put in it...
perhaps it's a good time to bring this up "in public", even if I'm running a bit late with the actual work/layout for it....as somebody here already knows, heh!
secrets secrets secrets

secret messages.

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 05:44 PM

If there's enough group effort in the whole operation, the tracks could have individuals videos made for them (I'm looking in the direction of people like terminal pharmacy, nicfit etc).

Glice 11.21.2010 05:45 PM

I can't devote any time to supervision until the new year, but I'm happy to have a crack then.

I don't think physical formats are immediately necessary. Just a .wav or .aiff should be fine. I'd suggest everyone did their own mastering prior to sending. Whoever ends up compiling it doesn't want to be fucking about with that, especially as they may not have a great deal of sympathy for the sounds therein.

Yeah, let me know if you want more of my AMAZING advice.

nicfit 11.21.2010 05:47 PM

wuw, multimedia project, sounds intiguing.
Then I'd say it could be wise to limit the number of "subscriptions" for the first volume, sounds a bit fascist, but it could help things to get done without dragging too much and procrastinating in limbo (I'm looking at myself in the mirror).

btw, I'm up for some kind of help in some aspects of the project.

Glice 11.21.2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
... sounds a bit fascist...

Yeah, I bet you Italians would love that wouldn't you, eh?

Genteel Death 11.21.2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I can't devote any time to supervision until the new year, but I'm happy to have a crack then.

I don't think physical formats are immediately necessary. Just a .wav or .aiff should be fine. I'd suggest everyone did their own mastering prior to sending. Whoever ends up compiling it doesn't want to be fucking about with that, especially as they may not have a great deal of sympathy for the sounds therein.

Yeah, let me know if you want more of my AMAZING advice.

If the deadline was the end of January, would you be up to co-ordinate it with me? By physical format I
meant a small run of cds or cassettes after everything has been put online. Thank you for your AMAZING advice. Oh and also thank you for putting me in touch with Ed, he sent me a pm on facebook today with a link to the video for YOTL's 'Signal to Earth' that he directed. There's a problem with
a password at the moment, though, so I'll be able to watch it tomorrow. Can't wait.

hevusa 11.21.2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Good man, I wouldn't know where to start.

It would be my pleasure. Let me know.

nicfit 11.21.2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I bet you Italians would love that wouldn't you, eh?

way to make me cry right before bedtime.........

back on topic: yeeeeeeh let's do it.
DEADLINE
would be a good name. haha, I'm sleepy.

atsonicpark 11.21.2010 06:40 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely down for this. Don't have the time to make a video but I can definitely contributed some music.

knox 11.21.2010 06:56 PM

i'd like to do something but i'm shy

Glice 11.22.2010 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
i'd like to do something but i'm shy

Collab?

Glice 11.22.2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

If the deadline was the end of January, would you be up to co-ordinate it with me? By physical format I
meant a small run of cds or cassettes after everything has been put online. Thank you for your AMAZING advice. Oh and also thank you for putting me in touch with Ed, he sent me a pm on facebook today with a link to the video for YOTL's 'Signal to Earth' that he directed. There's a problem with
a password at the moment, though, so I'll be able to watch it tomorrow. Can't wait.

Oh right, yeah small physical run would be better than OL version. I thought you meant in terms of sending the tracks.

So, basically, I'm busy until Dec 15th, but after that I'm pretty much free save for the jobhunt, so yeah. All systems go etc.

Genteel Death 11.22.2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
It would be my pleasure. Let me know.

I'd be great at mastering it myself. The only downside to that is that I'd also lose the loudness war when it comes to tracks which I don't like, so that's why I am not bothered by it.

Glice 11.22.2010 05:54 AM

The problem I'd have with a 'global master' for a compilation is that I really think tracks should be as loud as the person making it wants them to be. 'Loudness', in itself, isn't important; dynamics are. Or, to put it another way, I don't want any cunt fucking about with my music.

Genteel Death 11.22.2010 06:12 AM

Quote:

The problem I'd have with a 'global master' for a compilation is that I really think tracks should be as loud as the person making it wants them to be. 'Loudness', in itself, isn't important; dynamics are. Or, to put it another way, I don't want any cunt fucking about with my music.

I wasn't being serious about the mastering. I don't care, it's only a compilation of people from here's music, not some sort of grand statement on production/mastering skills.

hevusa 11.22.2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

It is impossible to make the tracks "as loud as the person making it wants them" because everyone has their own volume knob on their stereo. Mastering will just make the album more consistent so the end user doesn't have to keep adjusting their volume knob between each track. I wouldn't actually change much about the audio content unless it was an extreme case and it was absolutely necessary.

hevusa 11.22.2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

I wasn't being serious about the mastering. I don't care, it's only a compilation of people from here's music, not some sort of grand statement on production/mastering skills.

It isn't a statement about skills. It is simply making everyone's songs sound as good together as possible. If something like this is going to be done it might as well be done right.

hevusa 11.22.2010 08:16 AM

Regardless of who does the mastering this goes out to all those who want to submit tracks:

Submit in WAV format, with no effects placed on the master bus during mixdown, and have the levels peak at about -6dB.

Thanks!

StevOK 11.22.2010 08:25 AM

I'll contribute. I've been meaning to start some original work again.

Glice 11.22.2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
It is impossible to make the tracks "as loud as the person making it wants them" because everyone has their own volume knob on their stereo. Mastering will just make the album more consistent so the end user doesn't have to keep adjusting their volume knob between each track. I wouldn't actually change much about the audio content unless it was an extreme case and it was absolutely necessary.

Well, this is the bare bones of the disagreement - if I do something incredibly quiet (which is likely) or with a big dynamic range (which is possible) or something that's ranted to fuck (also likely) I don't really want it adulterated because someone else has recorded something very flat with minimal dynamic range. What I'm cautious about is that I'll probably do something electro-acoustic, while I imagine there'll be a lot of guitar-based things, which requires a very different approach, mastering-wise; I know there a few people who might do dance-based stuff (Shabbers, SYR Fox) which, again, I wouldn't want compromised because most people are doing rock music.

Essentially, I'm interested in a good, diverse mix of music - if you're moving everything towards the middle ground just for the sake of consistency then you threaten to undermine those at the perimeters - at one end, harsh noise, at the other, lower-case EAI. I'm not saying that mastering is entirely unnecessary, but I'd say a very softly-softly approach - that is, take out any peaks unless the person specifically requests they be left in (which I'd imagine the lo-fi and noise contingent would prefer). This has a few problems, obviously - I know people like Clone explicitly likes a very low mastering, and knox tends to keep things this side of quiet, and their tracks might not 'jump out', but I think it's more important to keep the integrity of the track and let the listener decide than it is to 'compromise their artistic vision'. Or, putting it another way - I've a suspicion that the more experienced musicians (Clone, Terminal Pharmacy etc) would happily chop off your hands if someone fucks about with their track. I'm in that same boat, but more because I'm awkward than experienced.

Genteel Death 11.22.2010 08:40 AM

Anyway, NOBODY IS MASTERING ANYTHING. Full stop. Let's not ruin the fun already eh?

Genteel Death 11.22.2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevOK
I'll contribute. I've been meaning to start some original work again.

I have your YLT cd on my desk. I just need to find a minute to pop into the mail room and send it to you.

SONIC GAIL 11.22.2010 09:04 AM

I would really like to get Ryan and myself involved in this. We have a drummer living with us now too. Our acoustic sound has been morphing into electric. I found all of my mom's old stage equipment mixers, her mic and some other shit. I will just have to see if he's up for it.

SONIC GAIL 11.22.2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I had a similar concept in mind for non-music-related "artists" on here (or mudicians who also dwell in visual stuff or writing), a sort of online fanzine with a 2 pages space to be filled by each contributor with wathever he/she wants to put in it...
perhaps it's a good time to bring this up "in public", even if I'm running a bit late with the actual work/layout for it....as somebody here already knows, heh!
secrets secrets secrets

secret messages.

This idea is AWESOME too. You can count me in on this if it comes to fruition. I would definitly like to write something or some of my arty shit.

knox 11.22.2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Collab?

i'm afraid - what do you mean by collab?
sounds like some communist thing.

hevusa has to stop this bullshit otherwise nothing will work out.

(i already know what i'd like to do)

nicfit 11.22.2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
This idea is AWESOME too. You can count me in on this if it comes to fruition. I would definitly like to write something or some of my arty shit.

Good, good!
I'll start a proper thread on this in a few days, so things won't get too mixed up in here (and this thread is kinda messy already).