Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 02.10.2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
You seem to have a real problem with the idea that not everyone likes or enjoys the same things you do.

Heeeeehhhh?

Why do people think I’m mad or upset?

Just participating. Like what you want.

Or wait, no, I’m angry that someone I don’t know doesn’t like kill bill ... I don’t realize that millions of people dislike everything I like, and I’m personally invested in flipping you.

demonrail666 02.10.2019 01:34 PM

It did come across as a bit of a rant, but anyway. I think there are two Tarantinos: pre and post Kill Bill. I suppose you can like both or neither but there's certainly grounds for liking one while not being interested in the other.

Severian 02.10.2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
It did come across as a bit of a rant, but anyway. I think there are two Tarantinos: pre and post Kill Bill. I suppose you can like both or neither but there's certainly grounds for liking one while not being interested in the other.

Sure, that’s just how taste works.

Personally, I’ve lost all interest in Reservoir Dogs, and think it’s way overrated. I’d rank it below Django Unchained... maybe even below The Thing Out West... Er... Hateful 8.

Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown are top-notch films. Inglorious and Django are really really good films that will probably be considered classics someday, but are not at the level of Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

Kill Bill is also a really good film, in my opinion, for completely different reasons.

(Shrug)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.11.2019 12:42 AM

What's the word on Reign of Fire? Anyone here seen this before?

demonrail666 02.11.2019 10:59 AM

I managed about 20 minutes before giving up on it.

Severian 02.11.2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
What's the word on Reign of Fire? Anyone here seen this before?

That...

Looks terrible.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.11.2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
That...

Looks terrible.

Dude, they fight fuckin dragons with helicopters and tanks!

Weep in yr grave Fellini

!@#$%! 02.11.2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Weep in yr grave Fellini

roflmao

needs more rep!!

Severian 02.11.2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Weep in yr grave Fellini

Honestly sounds a little cooler now, also nice burn.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.11.2019 04:27 PM

^ love ya', bud

ilduclo 02.16.2019 05:31 PM

Hereditary.

Scary as fuck

Severian 02.16.2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Hereditary.

Scary as fuck

Was it, like, “gets in your bones” scary? Deeply upsetting and unnerving scary in a way that fucks you up for a while after?

I got that vibe after about 15 minutes and decided to postpone. Too fragile.

Anti-Christ fucked me up for like 6 months. Not trying to go back there.

tw2113 02.16.2019 11:36 PM

Raiders of the Lost Ark followed by 2005's Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy due to discussion with friends that happened while watching Raiders.

ilduclo 02.17.2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Was it, like, “gets in your bones” scary? Deeply upsetting and unnerving scary in a way that fucks you up for a while after?

I got that vibe after about 15 minutes and decided to postpone. Too fragile.

Anti-Christ fucked me up for like 6 months. Not trying to go back there.

It reminded me of Kill List a bit. Very slow burn. Once it gets there, it’s a pretty unsettling movie.

LifeDistortion 02.17.2019 01:48 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.18.2019 12:19 AM

As much fun as the first two movies, if not more so. What a fun franchise this turned out to be overall. I enjoy imagining Sandler in the booth voicing Dracula. Also so glad Mel Brooks is still outputting creatively at his age.

A somewhat unique premise (unless you've seen Argento's Stendhal Syndrome) which fails to be interesting in every regard. Bland as a spiritual successor to Nightcrawler, milquetoast as a send up of pretentious art culture (Ghost World, Pecker, or Art School Confidential this is not), and an utter snooze as horror schlock. Watch Velvet Buzzsaw, and yawn through some lame ass deaths.

Nearly every character is purposefully unlikable and shallow, leaving you wondering why the hell you're even bothering to watch them. What a waste of John Malkovich also. Could he phone it in more here? Oh look he's pretentious and full of himself, just like every other character in this mov... zzzzzz

LifeDistortion 02.18.2019 01:57 AM

Velvet Buzzsaw was such a letdown. I was going to call it his sophomore slump, but its his third directed movie. I think it comes down to, you just don't care about any of the characters, so you don't care about their fate. Its needlessly overlong, this might have been a fun movie if they made it a nice 80-something minute movie.

!@#$%! 02.18.2019 08:46 AM

oh no! i was sort of looking forward to velvet buzzaw...

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.18.2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Velvet Buzzsaw was such a letdown. I was going to call it his sophomore slump, but its his third directed movie. I think it comes down to, you just don't care about any of the characters, so you don't care about their fate. Its needlessly overlong, this might have been a fun movie if they made it a nice 80-something minute movie.

There isn't even 80 minutes of worthwhile material in Velvet Buzzsaw. The funeral scene with Gyllenhaal critiquing the tone of the coffin wood got me to laugh, and then the art dude mistaking the trash bag in John Malkovich's studio for a piece was smile worthy, but that's really it.

I was expecting a stylish thriller of some sort, but instead I got some straight to DVD horror schlock wrapped in a half-assed "lol isn't art vapid?" flame retardant blanket.

ilduclo 02.18.2019 09:54 AM

I've yet to see a modern art film that gets it right, there are some good biographies, though

one of the best ones, IMO

Cindy Sherman - Nobody's Here But Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKNuWtXZ_U