Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

SonicBebs 04.25.2010 02:00 PM

massive game now for palace tomorow. with sheffield wednesday losing yesterday we can be safe if we win against west brom. They're allready promoted so have nothing relly to play for.
then its the game of the season next week. bricking it to be honest....

chicka 04.25.2010 02:44 PM

thank you very much space.

demonrail666 04.25.2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
massive game now for palace tomorow. with sheffield wednesday losing yesterday we can be safe if we win against west brom. They're allready promoted so have nothing relly to play for.

Yeah, i really want Palace to stay up, especially now Simon Jordan's pretty much gone. Sincere good luck.

chrome noise tape 04.25.2010 04:29 PM

sometimes he's really the special one...well i hope he wins the Champions League.

demonrail666 04.25.2010 05:43 PM

pokkeherrie 04.25.2010 05:59 PM

^Awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Although I do get a bit fed up during World Cups, when the commentators waffle on about 'the beautiful game', and 'samba football' whenever Brazil play, a style they haven't played since the early 80s. They'll have one or two flair players but the rest of the team are really solid and quite workmanlike. There's certainly nothing about today's Brazil that comes anywhere even close to this.

Fully agree with this, even though I'm not old enough to have watched the 1982 World Cup myself. But their recent World Cup teams were usually a lot more defensive than commentators said they were.

On the other hand, even their defenders can score goals like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPoqd3t2wE

demonrail666 04.25.2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
^Awesome.

Fully agree with this, even though I'm not old enough to have watched the 1982 World Cup myself. But their recent World Cup teams were usually a lot more defensive than commentators said they were.

On the other hand, even their defenders can score goals like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPoqd3t2wE

Fucking hell! I've not seen that one before.

There's a beautiful irony about that 82 Brazil team in that they didn't actually win the world cup, instead going out at the group stages. That actually reminds me a bit of Holland going out of Euro 2000 in the semis(?) despite being the best team there by a long way. It's what makes football what it is, I suppose.

SonicBebs 04.28.2010 03:52 PM

no way was that handball!
still, well done Inter. Didn't think they would do it but they held on well

the ikara cult 04.28.2010 04:11 PM

like all of us, i was well disappointed that Barca went out, I can only hope Bayern Win the Final.

chrome noise tape 04.29.2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape

sometimes he's really the special one...well i hope he wins the Champions League.

bye bye suckers!!! ah! ah!... ( where's messi now?! )

demonrail666 04.29.2010 11:02 AM

yeah, gutted about Barcalona last night. The second goal should've stood, although I also think the sending off was a bit much too. I'll definitely be supporting Bayern in the final. I hate the way Mourinho sets his teams out. It's effective but kills games stone dead.

!@#$%! 04.29.2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

I imagine if you asked English fans, most would say their second national team is brazil. There's a romance about a country that once had a player called Socrates while we have to content ourselves with names likes Crouch.

Although I do get a bit fed up during World Cups, when the commentators waffle on about 'the beautiful game', and 'samba football' whenever Brazil play, a style they haven't played since the early 80s. They'll have one or two flair players but the rest of the team are really solid and quite workmanlike. There's certainly nothing about today's Brazil that comes anywhere even close to this.

fucking a, that video rules, overly grandiose shit music & all.

the commentators-- they've gotta "exoticize" the brown man no matter what. "magical realist football"! yes?

ha ha @ sócrates vs. "crouch"

i didn't know england had this love for brazil-- what about argentina though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VXbqA1YRqY :eek:

SonicBebs 04.29.2010 02:25 PM

yeah, we all love Argentina especially diego

demonrail666 04.29.2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the commentators-- they've gotta "exoticize" the brown man no matter what. "magical realist football"! yes?

I know you mentioned 'magical realism' light heartedly, but in a way that's precisely what it is. As football becomes more corporate it needs to invent some kind of distant romantic ideal and Brazil (admittedly a team with an incredible history) fits perfectly. "They all learned to play on the beach you know. That's why they're so skillful." It's ridiculous. Similarly, Germany always gets cast as the pantomime villain with endless references to their "machine-like efficiency" while England is always "passionate" and "direct". It's taken commentators until quite recenrtly to realise that Italy's national team, rather than reflect its flamboyant national stereotype actually plays far more like Germany 'should' than actually ever have.

Quote:

i didn't know england had this love for brazil-- what about argentina though?

Yeah, Argentina are a bit of a hate figure in England, but it stems more from the Falklands war than Maradon's whole 'hand of god' thing, although that definitely compounded it. Personally though, I really like Argentina's national team. Maradona, whatever he did in 'that' match, is still the greatest player I've ever seen and would happily join any church that placed Carlos Tevez as its God.

Also, you'd need to look hard to find a more brilliant goal than this anywhere, ever: a goal that's probably done more to close the art-science debate than any academic ever has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_iYLca2gc

Never get bored watching that.

blunderbuss 04.29.2010 11:49 PM

Nice one Fulham!

Not usually a team for which I have much fondness, but I'll make an exception this time. A wonderful fairy story.

Пятхъдесят Шест - Have a great evening (well, lunchtime / afternoon for you, I guess) on May 12th!

demonrail666 05.02.2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs

Wow. Even as a neutral that was just ridiculously intense. Hope you had your brown trousers on! Definitely glad Palace stayed up but have to feel a bit sorry for SW. I didn't want either to go down really. Still, well done on staying up - especially in the circumstances.

SonicBebs 05.02.2010 09:45 AM

fuck me that was harsh
was never gonna be a pretty game and until their 2nd i was quietly confident, but then when they scored i was in bits

!@#$%! 05.02.2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

I know you mentioned 'magical realism' light heartedly, but in a way that's precisely what it is. As football becomes more corporate it needs to invent some kind of distant romantic ideal and Brazil (admittedly a team with an incredible history) fits perfectly. "They all learned to play on the beach you know. That's why they're so skillful." It's ridiculous.

no, that's exactly what i meant.

Quote:

Similarly, Germany always gets cast as the pantomime villain with endless references to their "machine-like efficiency" while England is always "passionate" and "direct". It's taken commentators until quite recenrtly to realise that Italy's national team, rather than reflect its flamboyant national stereotype actually plays far more like Germany 'should' than actually ever have.

here i get either mexican or argentinian (or uruguayan?) commentators, and while the often drop stereotypical names like that, i'm happy to report that their descriptions seem to be more accurate than what you are getting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666Yeah, Argentina are a bit of a hate figure in England, but it stems more from the Falklands war than
Maradon's whole 'hand of god' thing, although that definitely compounded it. Personally though, I really like Argentina's national team. Maradona, whatever he did in 'that' match, is still the greatest player I've ever seen and would happily join any church that placed Carlos Tevez as its God.

Also, you'd need to look hard to find a more brilliant goal than this anywhere, ever: a goal that's probably done more to close the art-science debate than any academic ever has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_iYLca2gc

Never get bored watching that.

you mean LAS ISLAS MALVINAS. ha ha hm yeah-- a terribly stupid war with roots in your 1812 re-thievery attempts AND the criminal military dictators of argentina at the time who sent their own youth to the butcher to distract the populace from their own fuckups... there's a much deeper history of involvement between your country an d theirs (and when i say deeper i mean deep political fisting, ha ha), but it's one that's not told often-- involving XIX century immigrants, the cattle indusrty, railroads, espionage, world war 2, etc... the hand of god was a little symbolic revenge--sad but true.

im too hungry to write more or keep reading this thread at the moment (its almost 11am here, still in bed), but thanks for the awesome video.

demonrail666 05.02.2010 07:07 PM

pokkeherrie 05.03.2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

although I also think the sending off was a bit much too.

Is it safe to get up yet?