Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mike Watt - Hyphenated-Man (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=42159)

atsonicpark 11.10.2010 01:49 PM

Mike Watt - Hyphenated-Man

Okay, I posted about this on the 2010 thread, but it deserves its own thread, this album is just fucking excellent, I'm going to buy a copy of it asap. It reminds me a LOT of captain beefheart (specifically doc at the radar station era); oddly anthemic but fractured clean guitar lines, tom/hat-happy unconventional drums, and obviously a brilliant bass presence. The musical interplay is topnotch.. unbelievable. The vocals pretty much just consist of Watt yelling in a constipated voice (mean that in the nicest way possible), and they sound awesome!

I actually like this album better than any Minutemen album (!), or any previous album Watt has appeared on. GREAT album.

keep poppin pimples 11.10.2010 02:02 PM

i didn't realise this had come out,getting now. i'm kind of iffy on his solo work, i don't like the middle stand very much

atsonicpark 11.10.2010 02:13 PM

IMO, it doesn't really sound like ANYTHING he's ever done -- and I'm pretty familiar with most of his work -- it's closest in sound to Minutemen's weirder material, meets Captain Beefheart... but even that doesn't describe it.

Favorite album of the year.

atsonicpark 11.10.2010 02:17 PM

He's basically created a completely new musical language on this album, in my opinion. Every instrument is played extremely unconventionally, yet still retaining a sense of deep and rewarding musicality; I don't think any song except for 2 pass 2 minutes, yet all the songs feel so full, complex, complete, and.. GOOD. They're all like miniature epics, with so many little changes and fills. Just brilliant.

Decayed Rhapsody 11.11.2010 03:14 PM

This really is a big departure for him. Why is NO ONE talking about it? He manages to put so many great structures and riffs to work in a short space of time without making things claustrophobic. I nabbed it off a blog but I'm gonna buy it. He plays every instrument?

This is way better than the new Trumans Water. Obviously an entirely different band, but this album is hitting the receptors that I hoped the TW album would have.

stu666 11.11.2010 05:11 PM

i listened to this earlier and yeah i really like it, definitely got a Beefheart sound going on. i will buy it too, might wait and see if he's selling copies at ATP.

keep poppin pimples 11.11.2010 05:16 PM

i noticed beefeartness on probably ten tracks, i don't think it's that different from his other work, but the way the different instruments layer together is rather unconventional

he didn't play all the instruments:
The Missingmen are a punk rock trio fronted by Minutemen/fIREHOSE/Stooges bassist Mike Watt. The band features Watt, guitarist Tom Watson (Slovenly, The Pair Of Pliers, The Jom And Terry Show, Red Krayola), and drummer Raul Morales (FYP, Killer Dreamer, The Leeches, The Secondmen).

atsonicpark 11.12.2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
This really is a big departure for him. Why is NO ONE talking about it? He manages to put so many great structures and riffs to work in a short space of time without making things claustrophobic. I nabbed it off a blog but I'm gonna buy it. He plays every instrument?

This is way better than the new Trumans Water. Obviously an entirely different band, but this album is hitting the receptors that I hoped the TW album would have.

Great post, as are many of the recent posts. It sounds way different than his other stuff because he said he listened to Minutemen for the first time since they disbanded and was inspired by them -- though, really, it doesn't sound that much like Minutemen, imo, but it has the same general rule (short, fast, unconventional interplay, highly musical, these neat little punk epics that aren't what we think of when we think of "punk").

I dug the new Trumans Water but I thought the songs on it were samey. I think it's a fair comparison, since that album and this one are both going for mostly short sexy little complex compositions.

I bought a copy myself. I love this album.

fugazifan 11.13.2010 11:03 AM

i heard it once will need to hear it again.
it is really great, but i would hardly say that it invents a new musical language. it seems to combine the minutemen's aesthetic with that of his other solo albums.
that is all i can say until i hear it a few more times.

atsonicpark 11.13.2010 02:04 PM

I'd say I've personally never heard a rock album like it, it's a continuation of Beefheart's (and I hate to keep namedropping Beefheart but I can't help but let's face it, Beefheart is my favorite musician ever and he played this sorta skewed rock stuff at times and Watt is kinda doing it but in his own style and better than ever) rockier stuff and Minutemen without being "punk" really. The rhythms, the interplay.. very inspiring. Everything pulling apart but coming togther. Brilliant. I've listened to it 10 times. There's nothing else like it around right now.

tcpotbntmy 11.22.2010 08:05 AM

bump

atsonicpark 11.22.2010 08:38 AM

thanks!

tcpotbntmy 11.22.2010 09:21 AM

in October Watt/Missingmen toured with Tera Melos during the Japan stint supporting this album, I thought that was pretty fucking cool.

beak-holding-letter-man
fumblin' for footin' on fuckin' ice skates funnel full of folly fitted firmly to head the message, the message is held in the beak speak?

CHOUT 11.22.2010 01:21 PM

Lost a bit of intrerest in watt solo after the last one,,,I'll have to check this out...thanks.

CHOUT 11.22.2010 01:27 PM

Whoa, you can only get it from japan? Surely Watt wouldn't have a hard time finding another label to release it for further distribution???

stu666 12.10.2010 09:59 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003X5SX1M/sr=8-2/qid=1291992170/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1291992170 &sr=8-2&seller=
wtf £45.49 from Amazon! :eek: i know cds are more expensive in Japan but is that right?

did anyone see this for sale at ATP?

EvdWee 12.10.2010 10:00 AM

didn't find any there, sadly.

Toilet & Bowels 12.10.2010 04:50 PM

is this what he was playing at ATP?

stu666 12.10.2010 05:10 PM

yeah he did play some tracks from this album but i missed alot of the set

Toilet & Bowels 12.10.2010 05:16 PM

i only caught a few songs, it wasn't my cup of tea, too proggy