Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A thread about San Francisco (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22460)

pbradley 06.10.2008 01:33 PM

A thread about San Francisco

taking someone's cue (I think it was porkmarras') and making a thread about a city other than New York and London

!@#$%! 06.10.2008 01:34 PM

good idea.

tell us about it.

pbradley 06.10.2008 01:37 PM

It is better than London and New York in every aspect. Anything else?

gmku 06.10.2008 01:38 PM

I hear it has hills and is close to the ocean.

pbradley 06.10.2008 01:40 PM

It's located on a motherfuckin peninsula.

bay > rivers

!@#$%! 06.10.2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
It is better than London and New York in every aspect. Anything else?

philosophers, always with colorless abstractions!

cmon, describe with profusion.

pbradley 06.10.2008 01:44 PM

A picture says a thousand very colorful words.

!@#$%! 06.10.2008 01:47 PM

hm. what about the foods yo. aromas et. al.

gmku 06.10.2008 01:48 PM

Rice-a-roni? I hear it's the S.F. treat.

!@#$%! 06.10.2008 01:49 PM

for a price, gmku can write you 100 words that will make SF seem like a world-class city.

luisxvi 06.10.2008 01:51 PM

I liked it but I think I stayed in the wrong area and didnt see enough of what I wanted plus I was flat broke so I couldnt really do much. I would very much like to go back and give it some proper time.

gmku 06.10.2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
for a price, gmku can write you 100 words that will make SF seem like a world-class city.

I'll do 200 words for an airline ticket out there and three days free stay in the best hotel downtown. I'm for hire.

pbradley 06.10.2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

hm. what about the foods yo. aromas et. al.

I can get authentic mom and pop Thai, Ethiopian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, and Russian within a 30 minute walk from my house. Though I do live near Clement Street. In fact there is an Indian and Sushi place a block away.

gmku 06.10.2008 01:57 PM

30-minute walk!? Jesus, that's a long walk just for lunch.

pbradley 06.10.2008 02:01 PM

In San Francisco, you either walk or take the bus.

!@#$%! 06.10.2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I can get authentic mom and pop Thai, Ethiopian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, and Russian within a 30 minute walk from my house. Though I do live near Clement Street. In fact there is an Indian and Sushi place a block away.

talk instead of peanuts and fish sauce, berbere and lentils, curry and cardamom, translucent fish cuts, the bite of chilies and limes, and the aromas of basil and oregano, and i might get excited.

demonrail666 06.10.2008 02:05 PM

Weirdly, SF is, now I've been to NY, the American city I most want to visit. It doesn't have the same mystique for me that NY had/has, but I've never been to the West Coast and really want to compare it with cities in the East and Midwest that I've been to. I don't drive so LA seems out of the question, but from what I know about SF it's a fairly walkable city.

The only thing that puts me off is that I've only ever properly met one person from there in my life, and he was possibly the biggest, most pretentious arsehole I've ever encountered. Every cliche about Haight-Ashbury flakiness was totally crystalised in this tie-dye wearing Grateful Dead obssessive who, despite being only in his mid twenties, appeared to be completely unaware of any cultural development post 1968. I know you can't judge a place by one person, but this guy had such a negative effect on me that he made me question whether I could deal with the possibility of encountering more people like him. I'm guessing that as long as I avoided the Haight-Ashbury district, I'm not that likely to meet those type of walking cliches while I'm there.

Besides, Dirty Harry and the Zodiac Killer came from there, so they can't all be like him ... can they?

"Go ahead Dead-head, make my day!"

Rob Instigator 06.10.2008 02:08 PM

San Fran is great, because in the middle of summer, it can drop to a chilly 65 degrees at NOON!

crazy!

Rob Instigator 06.10.2008 02:09 PM

when my family went there on vacation as a kid I saw my first real life gay man.

pbradley 06.10.2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

talk instead of peanuts and fish sauce, berbere and lentils, curry and cardamom, translucent fish cuts, the bite of chilies and limes, and the aromas of basil and oregano, and i might get excited.

NOPE, got a class to attend.