Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A thread about Radiohead (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15027)

the ikara cult 07.25.2007 04:32 PM

A thread about Radiohead

I dug out The bends earlier on and didnt roll my eyes as much as i used to (its massively overrated).
And so as its about 10 years since ok computer, which was the first thing i saw/heard/read/experienced that actually meant something to me, whats the consensus amongst the people who like Nurse with wound collaborations and that sorta thing? Are they shit or is the fact theyre massive and Thom Yorke is a bit of a weirdo a good thing? Or are they just great full stop?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.25.2007 05:13 PM

I listened to my first radiohead album a few weeks ago.

LittlePuppetBoy 07.25.2007 05:15 PM

good band

Neongod 07.25.2007 05:23 PM

One of my all time favorites. Kid A is brilliant. Also, the album they've been working on sounds fantastic so far (they toured with their new stuff).

Norma J 07.25.2007 05:38 PM

I saw them on tele the other week, some live performance, and they looked like Coldplay - they had that shmoofty look.

I could also mention how I can't really stand their music, but I won't bother. The people can have their threads.

Pookie 07.25.2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I saw them on tele the other week, some live performance, and they looked like Coldplay - they had that shmoofty look.

I could also mention how I can't really stand their music, but I won't bother. The people can have their threads.

Ha, that's funny, I was thinking that Radiohead remind me of Coldplay.

Pookie 07.25.2007 06:11 PM

Radiohead are owt like Coldplay, you drunken fool.

Now shut up.

Pookie 07.25.2007 06:17 PM

I don't understand those words written in that order.

I will say this:

Coldplay: whiney dad rock
Radiohead: whiney dad rock.

Spot the difference.

Pookie 07.25.2007 06:24 PM

It's all owts and nowts with you isn't it?

I bet you're not even from Newcastle.

the ikara cult 07.25.2007 07:30 PM

I saw my first and only Radiohead gig in Newcastle.
Incidentally.

zedius 07.25.2007 08:30 PM

As far as I'm concerned radiohead is one of the last bands in existance that is inarguably good. I don't care how much you hate their sound, it's still their sound and they work their asses off for it.

The coldplay comparison is fair on two accounts. 1. The lead singer sings a lot like Thom Yorke, though this doesn't mean they sound the same. 2. Most of the songs (that are singles at least) sound long and boring and layered in a similar way to high and dry or fake plastic trees. This combined with the voice makes it a valid point.

But if you think the bands are actually comparable, I would argue that you just don't know the difference between quality and shit. Seriously, you can't start spouting coldplay/radiohead comparisons and try to get me to respect your opinion on the matter. You obviously just don't like radiohead.

Norma J 07.25.2007 08:39 PM

I said they look like Coldplay, and they do. They look like a bunch of dicks with arms and legs.

I think they sound like shit. But then I'm wrong because you say so? That doesn't sound right to me.

deflinus 07.25.2007 08:42 PM

i like radiohead. they make nice music. but they're a bit overated. even though Thom Yorke is an amazing songwriter. as well as Jonny Greenwood.

zedius 07.25.2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I said they look like Coldplay, and they do. They look like a bunch of dicks with arms and legs.

I think they sound like shit. But then I'm wrong because you say so? That doesn't sound right to me.

Well, no, you think they sound like shit that's fair enough. I think Velvet Underground sounds like shit (for the most part), but I'm pretty sure they were an important and talented band. I think the ramones reeeeally sound like boring tripe ass shit, but I'm pretty sure they had something.

I feel like there's some quality there that's pretty inarguable. That's all I'm saying. It's pretty easy to dislike their sound, but they are obviously putting an effort out to do what they feel needs doing.

Anyway, that's just how I see it.

atsonicpark 07.25.2007 09:16 PM

Coldplay and Radiohead share pretty much no similarities outside of the obvious (British and ugly and the singers hit high notes sometimes.. I think there was a few pianos in Radiohead songs before).
Radiohead has never released a bad record. Pablo Honey is .. decent .. but everything after is amazing, ESPECIALLY Kid A. I think Radiohead are theorized on, shat on, obsessed over, etc. maybe a bit too much, but then again, so is Weezer (have you seen all the weirdo Weezer websites on the internet? I mean, yeah, they used to be a good band, but goddammit if Weezer's 800+ songs don't all pretty much sound the same after a certain point. Fuck! Okay, back to Radiohead...)..
The fact is, they're a mainstream band that's actually REALLY FUCKING GOOD. I mean, a band who is constantly growing and evolving.. who at times is noisey and is always undeniably unique and beautiful... the fact they even sell millions of records is a miracle, and it proves a point I've always tried to make: people don't necassarily have bad tastes in music, they just haven't been exposed to enough music.
But enough of that... I keep getting sidetracked... Kid A is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time. I honestly couldn't get past the first 10 seconds on that CD without thinking it was one of the most amazing things I'd ever heard. The first half is great, full of cold AND warm electronics, children's toy sounds (song two seriously sounds like Nobakazu Takemaru), amazing fuzzy jazz freakouts, your typical Radiohead ballad but BETTER, and amazing ambient drone... then, side two.. GODDAMN... we have your emotional, multilayered and layered and layered three-guitar Radiohead tribal jam, your effects-heavy song that sounds like you're drowning with 7/4 guitar arpeggios, the AMAZING autechre ripoff song, the AMAZING morning bell (I don't even know how to describe it), and then a beautiful minimalist organ ballad.. Jesus. A rock band exploring electronics and effects and different production techniques.. just insane.. could have turned out embarassing...
Just a truely consistant, innovative, great band.

Norma J 07.25.2007 09:22 PM

I don't see that it's a miracle they sell records in the mainstream - to me they fit that mould perfectly.

atsonicpark 07.25.2007 09:34 PM

yeaaaaaaaaaah... since SO MANY forward-thinking, ridiculously intelligent, consistantly great bands sell millions of records.. right... they fit the "mould"!

Norma J 07.25.2007 09:39 PM

You're letting your passion cloud your judgement. They're not particularly "out there". They're pretty easy listening if you like their type of thing, hence the record sales and my comment about fitting the mainstream mould.

jonathan 07.25.2007 09:49 PM

Radiohead does fit the mould, but so did the Beatles and the Kinks and the Stones and a ton of other great bands. Fitting the mould has nothing to do with your ability to grow and experiment with diffrent ideas and sounds.

Regardless of which, Radiohead never really caught me. I know some people that love them, some people that hate them, and I'm somewhere in the middle.

Silent Dan Speaks 07.25.2007 09:50 PM

They're one of my favorite bands, although I do think the Bends is crazily overrated.

It's been taking them so long to put out the new cd that I'm wondering if it'll be their last one. They've got me worried.