Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   creating a fucked up guitar (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3969)

atsonicpark 07.09.2006 07:01 PM

creating a fucked up guitar

Okay, I have a $50 first act black electric guitar, and I'm doing everything I can to fuck it up. besides sticking a wire coathanger around the strings so that everything makes a clanging noise, I stuck a pen near the pickups to make a chimey noise and wrapped aluminum foil around certain strings. also, the metal part that screws in (where the hole is that the strings come out of) are at weird angles so the strings sound a bit deadened (yet still playable). i hit my whammy bar and when the metal piece rose up, i stuck a piece of wood underneath it so it would constantly be up in that position. i also tuned a few strings to slack and a few strings to really high pitches and i moved the bottom string over to the second-to-last string and the two are now sharing the same position, and when you hit that it makes intense clanging noises.

i want to do more stuff to make it the ultimate in impossible-to-play-without-it-sounding-completely-fucked-up guitary.

acousticrock87 07.09.2006 07:09 PM

Drill a hole in the fret-board.

Though I have no idea what that will do, and can't guarantee that it won't implode.

Alex's Trip 07.09.2006 07:11 PM

I always wanted to try this. When you are stringing it, and you but the low E string through the hole at the bottom, instead of putting it through the Low E at the head, put it in a different one. Mix them all up, and see what it is like.

atsonicpark 07.09.2006 07:12 PM

I was also wondering... I'm looking to get the lowest possible sound with just my guitar and a decent sized amp. Obviously, tuning down the guitar strings is one thing, but are there are pedals I need to specifically look for? I want to make the lowest-frequency sounds possible... without blowing up the amp. Would hooking a bunch of pitch shifter pedals (turned down to the lowest octave) work?

Alex's Trip 07.09.2006 07:16 PM

Tuning down, and using a pitch shifter I guess. Other than that, maybe you can record and use whatever program to pitch shift. Or recording it, and play that playing it through a pitch shifter again.

acousticrock87 07.09.2006 07:17 PM

I have some whammy effects that bring it down a couple octaves, but I can't remember if there's also normal undertones in it.

EDIT: Ya, my modeler has a whammy setting decreases it two octaves.

golden child 07.09.2006 07:24 PM

get a bass EQ

acousticrock87 07.09.2006 07:46 PM

Fuck. I just broke strings on my two remaining guitars in a matter of minutes, and have no extras for the ones I broke. And my thumb is bleeding from trying to get a tiny piece of the e-string out of the peg. And somehow it's all because of this thread. Now what do I do all day?

Alex's Trip 07.09.2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Fuck. I just broke strings on my two remaining guitars in a matter of minutes, and have no extras for the ones I broke. And my thumb is bleeding from trying to get a tiny piece of the e-string out of the peg. And somehow it's all because of this thread. Now what do I do all day?

I hate it when I poke one of my fingers from trying to get a string out. It sucks!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.09.2006 08:35 PM

to get a metallic sound I weave 3 1/2 in. nails between the strings (under, over, under, over)

Style 07.09.2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Now what do I do all day?

drill a hole in the fret-board.

Cantankerous 07.09.2006 10:04 PM

throw it against a wall, that might fuck it up decently.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.09.2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
throw it against a wall, that might fuck it up decently.

or the wall

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.09.2006 10:28 PM

Ring mods (especially the frequency analyzer) and octave down pedals (like a chili dog or OC-3)

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.09.2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Ring mods (especially the frequency analyzer) and octave down pedals (like a chili dog or OC-3)

I want the frequency analyzer bad!

holy-reverb!! 07.10.2006 03:41 PM

Pull Some Frets Out!!!

holy-reverb!! 07.10.2006 03:41 PM

or even better take some frets out and put them in different positions.

finding nobody 07.10.2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holy-reverb!!
or even better take some frets out and put them in different positions.

yeeeeah. that's cool

holy-reverb!! 07.10.2006 04:00 PM

check this out.

or this. no thats not a pic glitch around the fretboard. the frets actually break of into smaller pieces.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.10.2006 04:04 PM

Wow that is really cool. I want a microtonal guitar. Can you tune that to the 43 tone scale?