Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Loss of digital data. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40683)

Beautiful Plateau 07.29.2010 10:27 PM

Loss of digital data.

I lost a couple of hundred digital "photos" some years ago. One of them was a rather nice portrait I shot of professional skateboarder Tom Penny. I still feel bummed that I didn't upload it on Wikipedia.

Can the video of Steve Albini's lecture at Middle Tennesee State University (March 12, 2004) be found online? He talked about why he doesn't record digitally. "I don't use digital recording because it's inappropriate for the work that I do. I do permanent recording of records that are intended to last forever. They are the history of the band I am working for at the moment, and it is vitally important to them."

!@#$%! 07.29.2010 10:57 PM

you mean this one?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/ChrisgNYC/videos/14/

google, man, google!

search "steve albini", then click on "videos" (you know like you'd do an image search) & it's #5 on the list

anyway, remember me in your will

Beautiful Plateau 07.29.2010 11:45 PM

eh, thanks I guess

I googled, but simply couldn't find it...

SONIC GAIL 07.30.2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beautiful Plateau
I lost a couple of hundred digital "photos" some years ago. One of them was a rather nice portrait I shot of professional skateboarder Tom Penny. I still feel bummed that I didn't upload it on Wikipedia.

Can the video of Steve Albini's lecture at Middle Tennesee State University (March 12, 2004) be found online? He talked about why he doesn't record digitally. "I don't use digital recording because it's inappropriate for the work that I do. I do permanent recording of records that are intended to last forever. They are the history of the band I am working for at the moment, and it is vitally important to them."

Tom Penny!!!!! you lucky fuck! i would be very sad of that loss. If you can find it post it

!@#$%! 07.30.2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

eh, thanks I guess

I googled, but simply couldn't find it...

you GUESS? where's my share of the family fortune? eh? ehhh???

shabbray2.0 07.30.2010 04:05 PM

digital aging, worried me a lot a few years ago. regarding everything I tend to collect:

music, films, games etc.
even my own creative works:
music & graphic

it almost has driven me insane, but I found my way to live with it.

nicfit 07.30.2010 04:09 PM

I have 3 copies of digital stuff I really care for ( = my pics and my music).
I think nothing lasts forever anyway.
2012 ya all.

shabbray2.0 07.30.2010 04:16 PM

I am a multiple copy person too.
I even got some things which arent created by me multiple times (two)

atsonicpark 07.30.2010 04:26 PM

I've never had a problem. Have had the same computer for 11 years now, with windows me, back up imortant stuff on multiple cd-r's... anything EXTREMELY rare is backed up, but almost any album/movie/game can be downloaded if they need to be. I realized a few years back that there are only a few things I absolutely can't live without.

shabbray2.0 07.30.2010 04:42 PM

I am pretty paranoid regarding loosing things I really "love".
I always got the absolute meltdown in the back of my head. even if it wouldnt be important then anymore. I like to be prepared, hahaah
btw this isnt the right way, its just my way :)

GeneticKiss 07.30.2010 04:47 PM

Am I the only one who watched the video and loved Steve's profound insight on more than just the topic at hand?

He had some interesting things to say about the "loudness war" as well...this should be in that thread too.

shabbray2.0 07.30.2010 04:49 PM

havent watched it yet, indeed. but its loading, think Ill enjoy it

Beautiful Plateau 08.30.2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Tom Penny!!!!! you lucky fuck! i would be very sad of that loss. If you can find it post it

Tom Penny

Skateboarders Jarmiento, Koston and Penny signing autographs after an éS shoes skate demo in Wevelgem, Belgium, July 2004.

tesla69 08.31.2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I've never had a problem. Have had the same computer for 11 years now, with windows me,

that is awesome,

terminal pharmacy 08.31.2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

If you still have the drive you could take it to a data recovery service. They can retrieve the magnetic data from the drive.

Albini's uber analog pretenses bore me senseless. Audio tape is just as fallible as magnetic drives. After all they are both magnetic mediums.

Beautiful Plateau 09.01.2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
If you still have the drive you could take it to a data recovery service. They can retrieve the magnetic data from the drive.

Not necessary. We refound them... See above.