Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Musicians that turn you off just because every generic hipster loves them (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8033)

zedius 11.14.2006 12:54 PM

Musicians that turn you off just because every generic hipster loves them

List five musicians that you think are overrated by people who look like they care if they look like they don't care how they look, and something that you prefer to listen to instead!

:::::::Mine are::::::

1. Cat Power - I like what I've heard, but not enough to care. I like to listen to Liz Phair instead. She was fucking fantastic.

2. Nick Cave - Meh whatever I'll take a Jim G. Thirlwell over that any day.

3. Tom Waits - I can't understand the interest. It's wierd like Tim Burton. I am waiting on a Tom Waits action figure from McFarlane toys. I like Hayden for wierd gruffness, though I don't really think it's any good comparison.

4. Sleater Kinney - Bores me. I want a 7 year bitch, a babes in toyland, a phallus uber alles, a hole, the gits, anything but sleater kinney.

5. David bowie - I LOVE david bowie. It's just that t rex is so fucking cool and nobody worships bolan the same way. Ok so he's repetitive and simple, but the sound is incredible like nothing I've ever heard. And the lyrics are gold.

" Baby mystic lady
you do own my night
put my dogs to fright
yea yea yea yea yea

riding sliding sorceress
in your dungarees
got me on my knees
"

king_buzzo 11.14.2006 12:57 PM

turn on or off?

Danny Himself 11.14.2006 01:01 PM

1. 'Razorlight'. Tosser rock straight out of some tosser club in a tosser part of the English south. For some reason they sing about living in America, even though they don't. Give me Hendrix.

2. Guns N Roses. What the fuck is this band? Some ginger wanker singing like he's in Lynrd Skynrd, backed up by some arsehole in a top hat and some other talentless guitar tuggers. Give me Hendrix.

3. The Beatles. It's cool to like the Beatles because it's ironic to like them. We have entered the world of post-irony now, so disregard them. They were a bunch of kids from South Liverpool who sang songs about where they lived a lot, in a style stolen from black people. Give me Brian Wilson.

wax 11.14.2006 01:25 PM

????
arnet you saying that you get turned off by these bands because you dont think much of their fans? but at the same time having a poke at hipsters for being afraid to go against the grain?
???????????????????

PAULYBEE2656 11.14.2006 01:28 PM

razorlight, gah fucking awful band....

ok, i get the jist of this thread. far too many too get in order soooooo

the strokes-
the deftones-
stan
kenny
eric
kyle
token
whatever...

as said way too many

oh yeah, thelibertinepetebabydohertyshamblesmoss

POST POST EDIT- actually i dunno what this thread is supposed to achieve! fuck it. im off

stenson 11.14.2006 01:34 PM

Death Cab...I don't mind one of their albums before they got cummed on by the O.C. If the O.C was a balloon, I'd pop it. Right away. I'd much prefer to listen to Dishwasher or Dntel

!@#$%! 11.14.2006 01:37 PM

i'm lucky enough not to give a fuck about "every generic hipster"-- i would not give them control of my life. cat power & sleater kinney are in their own way far superior to liz phair. but that has to do with my ears rather than anybody else's opinion. i think people who worry too much about what others think generally suck. but that's just my opinion anyway. and opinions are like assholes, etc.

stenson 11.14.2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i'm lucky enough not to give a fuck about "every generic hipster"-- i would not give them control of my life. cat power & sleater kinney are in their own way far superior to liz phair. but that has to do with my ears rather than anybody else's opinion. i think people who worry too much about what others think generally suck. but that's just my opinion anyway. and opinions are like assholes, etc.

"Opinions are like assholes, sometimes you just can't get it out of yourself"

gmku 11.14.2006 01:53 PM

I guess I don't really know who/what a generic hipster is, unless we're talking the Pitchfork site. I hate Pitchfork. Even when my opinions match theirs.

zedius 11.14.2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
razorlight, gah fucking awful band....

ok, i get the jist of this thread. far too many too get in order soooooo

the strokes-
the deftones-
stan
kenny
eric
kyle
token
whatever...

as said way too many

oh yeah, thelibertinepetebabydohertyshamblesmoss

POST POST EDIT- actually i dunno what this thread is supposed to achieve! fuck it. im off

No way you got it with the pete doherty.

!@#$%! 11.14.2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stenson
"Opinions are like assholes, sometimes you just can't get it out of yourself"

are you talking about rectal prolapse? i've seen that elsewhere today...

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.14.2006 02:00 PM

I have different favorite Bowie albums (Diamond Dogs, Lodger, Station to Station) then every generic hipster and know of the awesomeness of T-Rex.

And Tom Waits is a funny guy. His music would fit in a Jean Pierre Jeunet film, of which Delicatessen is by far the best (most generic hipsters have only seen Amelie and maybe City). You can't beat the rhythmic sex scene.

porkmarras 11.14.2006 02:04 PM

Tom Waits must be hip somewhere i have never been in.

!@#$%! 11.14.2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Tom Waits must be hip somewhere i have never been in.

the 80s?

luxinterior 11.14.2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedius
List five musicians that you think are overrated by people who look like they care if they look like they don't care how they look, and something that you prefer to listen to instead!

1. Cat Power - I like what I've heard, but not enough to care. I like to listen to Liz Phair instead. She was fucking fantastic.

3. Tom Waits - I can't understand the interest. It's wierd like Tim Burton. I am waiting on a Tom Waits action figure from McFarlane toys. I like Hayden for wierd gruffness, though I don't really think it's any good comparison.

4. Sleater Kinney - Bores me. I want a 7 year bitch, a babes in toyland, a phallus uber alles, a hole, the gits, anything but sleater kinney.

5. David bowie - I LOVE david bowie. It's just that t rex is so fucking cool and nobody worships bolan the same way. Ok so he's repetitive and simple, but the sound is incredible like nothing I've ever heard. And the lyrics are gold.

" Baby mystic lady
you do own my night
put my dogs to fright
yea yea yea yea yea

riding sliding sorceress
in your dungarees
got me on my knees
"

Yeah, so I don't care how much you like T. Rex, I still think you're kind of an idiot.

noisemachine 11.14.2006 03:47 PM

Who the hell bases their opinion of a band on what other people think of them? I like to form my own opinion on an artist based on the quality of music, not what the douchebag next to me thinks.

hey alex 11.14.2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Delicatessen

that movie fuckin rules. COnsidering i've seen it once like a year ago,,, it was fuckin a.

!@#$%! 11.14.2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hey alex
that movie fuckin rules. COnsidering i've seen it once like a year ago,,, it was fuckin a.

it's a good movie. not supergood. unusual for its time, yes. marvelous and forever magnificent no.

by the way i forgot to add almost every day i listen to "the greatest" lp and never do i fail to be moved by the ineffable beauty of that deceptively simple record.

zedius 11.14.2006 05:24 PM

I don't mean I dislike these bands because other people like them, but that I dislike them because I think they sound uninteresting. And since I think they sound uninteresting I can't understand the large amount of critical acclaim they get in the "indie circle". And I'd like to understand better than I'd like to be presumed shallow, thanks.

I figured this would be a good topic since there are so many overrated musicians around, and so many conflicting opinions. Maybe not so much?

scott v 11.14.2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedius

" Baby mystic lady
you do own my night
put my dogs to fright
yea yea yea yea yea

riding sliding sorceress
in your dungarees
got me on my knees"

Liz Phair??? not sure she is much better than Chan of Catpower (except this latest Catpower piece of mainstream garbage) at least well a few years ago, i mean remember Lilith Fair? she played that thing w/ a bunch of other ladies that everyone (at least the majority of the younger female category) seemed to be hip to and boy ever since "Exile in Guyville" she has sold out immensly and that album came out well over 10 years ago.

7 Year Bitch, Babes in Toyland, L7, and especially Hole??? its like golly i don't need to hear another "Girl Grunge Band" again thank you and especially one that has someone has obnoxious of a frontwoman like Courtney Love... yikes. Sleeter Kinney runs circles musically around any of these bands in my humble opinion.

my list of bands that i'm annoyed about in this context:

The Liars
Black Dice
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Wolf Eyes
Interpol
The Strokes
The White Stripes
The Fiery Furnaces
The Shins
Devandra Banhart
The Ponys