Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Those 'if only...' bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13982)

demonrail666 06.16.2007 10:25 PM

Those 'if only...' bands

bands you'd like a lot more, if only...

I'm like that with Shellac. I'd like them a lot more, if only I could get over the fact that Steve Albini seems like a bit of a prick, and they'd stop doing aeroplane impressions on stage.

Norma J 06.17.2007 12:32 AM

You whinge alot. I don't know if this has been an on-going thing since you entered the board, or if it's just a recent phase. But I've noticed it lately.

something 06.17.2007 02:27 AM

i second that take some xanax and just smile

MellySingsDoom 06.17.2007 03:03 AM

DR666 is no whinger. That's my job.

I'd like dubstep in general if only it wasn't a retread of stuff done by Basic Channel, Maurizio etc. 10 years ago. Turning the bass up a bit does not innovative music make. Frankly, I'd rather listen to evil, whitey-hating grime than a bunch of goddamn skunkheads.

Norma J 06.17.2007 03:16 AM

Well, I don't even overally recognise you. So you musn't whinge too much.

truncated 06.17.2007 10:30 AM

Fuck off, naysayers, this is a decent thread topic.

I would like Royal Trux more if they didn't fuck around so much, but then again, that's their appeal. Oh, the contradictions!

I would also have continued to respect Trail of Dead if they hadn't decided to take the self-proclaimed "progressive" route. They should have simply stopped at the eponymous and Madonna, never recorded another thing as long as any of them lived, and made their small but indelible mark on rock history.

Trasher02 06.17.2007 10:35 AM

If only Dino Jr. made albums as good as or better then You're living all over me.

sellouteater 06.17.2007 10:39 AM

if only johhny marr didnt join modest mouse

MellySingsDoom 06.17.2007 11:20 AM

If only the Butthole Surfers hadn't considerably sullied their reputation by their court case with Touch & Go. Would yoiu buy a Breadhead Sue-ers album these days?

Onani Nic 06.17.2007 11:46 AM

I used to be resistant to black metal because of the racist views but I got over it, I can now seperate an artists music from their politics or personality.

Saying that though I'd rather listen to a band that I see as admirable.

I'd find most rap albums more enjoyable if only they would get rid of the song featuring an r'n'b/ neo-soul singer.

I would have liked the new Dizzee Rascal album more if only he didn't have the Artic Monkeys dude and Lilly Allen on tracks.

Glice 06.17.2007 02:03 PM

I'd like Pavement if Malkmous [sp?] didn't write such piss-awful, pseudo-intelligent, faux-stream-of-consciousness horseshit lyrics and didn't sing like a fucking prick.

Toilet & Bowels 06.17.2007 03:11 PM

malkmus's lyrics go in through one ear and out the other with me, i am more or less completely incapable of retaining any of whatever information is contained within them

sarramkrop 06.17.2007 03:17 PM

Similar things for Lou Barlow, with the difference that a lot of his music just doesn't cut it for me.

GrungeMonkey 06.17.2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
malkmus's lyrics go in through one ear and out the other with me, i am more or less completely incapable of retaining any of whatever information is contained within them

Don't be dissing the Malk! I love his lyrics. Okay, I don't know what half of them mean, but they sound cool.

Pavement rules ok.

:cool:

Toilet & Bowels 06.17.2007 04:27 PM

i like malkmus's delivery, but for all i can tell he's just making sounds with his mouth

atsonicpark 06.17.2007 04:33 PM

steve is a REALLY nice guy. not sure how anyone could think he was an asshole. he's honest.. but yeah. one of the nicest dudes i've seen live. he was nice to me and the whole crowd. so yeah... just judging from interviews and such, i'd say he's gotta be inifitely nicer than ian mackaye or henry rollins.

also, pavement had some good lyrics on slanted, but i think malkmus didn't write all those...

sarramkrop 06.17.2007 04:36 PM

Sure, but what has got to do with the music?

atsonicpark 06.17.2007 04:43 PM

surprised by the pavement bashing. they're the kings of good melody!

sarramkrop 06.17.2007 04:46 PM

I don't like his voice in quite a lot of their songs, nothing to do with the music. The only one where his voice is tolerable to these years is 'Infinite Spark' and possibly a couple more. He irritates me no end.

HECKLER SPRAY 06.17.2007 04:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwrbdKQ08o