Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Niu Xiu Xiu - Dear God I Hate Myself (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38253)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.24.2010 08:51 AM

Niu Xiu Xiu - Dear God I Hate Myself

I haven't heard it yet, but plan on checking it out later tonigh...er later this morning.

Has anyone heard it yet? What do you think?

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 09:04 AM

Yeah, I downloaded it... listened...

About 40 minutes later, "Do you want to send xiu_xiu-dear_god_i_hate_myself_(2010) to your Recycle Bin?" popped up on my screen, almost as if by some magical force.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 09:12 AM

Did you see that sexy video with Angela Seo, though?

http://www.dallasvoice.com/instant-t...ss/#more-11426

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.24.2010 09:27 AM

I can vomit at will without using my fingers.

Sweet video though. I don't know who she is (who is she?), but she definitely knows how to get a good rush of vomit out of her system. Lots of fluids, especially for those HUGE blasts.

Rob Instigator 02.24.2010 09:39 AM

the ghray song I like a lot. gonna go buy this on vinyl if available.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 10:25 AM

She/s in the band.. Angela Seo.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.24.2010 10:38 AM

Since when?

Derek 02.24.2010 11:08 AM

I like it... it's very listenable and very accessible but there's just some good songs on it. "Chocolate Makes You Happy" though... ugh...

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 11:29 AM

I dunno, maybe 3 months, Dr. Eugene? His beautiful cousin left the band a good year ago, I think.. she was the best part of the band.

Either way, Xiu Xiu has always been a joke/novelty band (I don't mean that in a bad way, btw), but used to at least be fun to listen to. I'd put them up there with the Frogs... really ridiculous black comedy stuff. But I just can't get into them at all anymore.. their early stuff is alright but the last 2 albums have been just.. yeah.

knox 02.24.2010 11:32 AM

this is a great band, great album and im excited about seeing them on friday!

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 11:37 AM

They were really good the first time I saw them, about 6 years ago. Quiet and intimate. The second time, a few years back, they had loud banging drums and distorted guitars and it was this big rock thing. It was TERRIBLE.

knox 02.24.2010 11:43 AM

I like all the albums. I think when he was doing his most acoustic thing it was great, and then there was this experimental phase with la foret which is the best, and then air force, women as lovers and this which is kind of experimental but funny and poppy and sometimes it takes getting used to, but there are few things out there that excite me as much.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.24.2010 11:45 AM

I had a pair of plain white canvas shoes with "Xiu" sharpied onto the back of each heel. Near the end of these shoes' lives, I was lucky enough to see the band live. After the show, Jaimie signed the top of the right shoe with

"U smell bad =) love Jaimie"

He is easily the most polite rock god I've ever met in my life. The sound mixer at the show kept on turning his vocals down, and he could not have been more courteous when asking to have them turned back up.

atsonicpark 02.24.2010 11:47 AM

I hope Xiu Xiu and ICP collab.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.24.2010 11:58 AM

Did you ever hear the Xiu Tang Clan mix someone made? It's floating around on MySpace somewhere or something.

ICP and Three Six Mafia is dreamy enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNY7lzp1ho0

Rob Instigator 02.24.2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
I like all the albums. I think when he was doing his most acoustic thing it was great, and then there was this experimental phase with la foret which is the best, and then air force, women as lovers and this which is kind of experimental but funny and poppy and sometimes it takes getting used to, but there are few things out there that excite me as much.

agreed. I find all their LP's to be insanity personified, and I love it so.
everything they do is so specifically XIU XIU. I love the CD delux of women lovers witrh the DVD of all their videos. fucking awesome crazy band.

love all their shit. LOVE the cacophony stuff the best! atsonicpark's such a pussy!!!!!! ;)

hahahahh!

knox 02.24.2010 12:22 PM

oh yes, that dvd.

i love the youtube live version of j-lo too.

not to mention xiu xiu's cover of the pussycat dolls lol.

SuperCreep 02.24.2010 12:33 PM

i'm really liking this album. it isn't necessarily great all the way through, but stuff like gray death, chocolate makes you happy, hyunhe's theme, the title track, and this too shall pass away are certainly among their best. plenty of other enjoyable tracks all around too. definitely a huge improvement over "women as lovers."

knox 02.24.2010 12:46 PM

I really like women as lovers more. But that's because I haven't heard this enough. The best are House Sparrow and Fabrizio Palumbo, in my opinion.

loubarret 02.24.2010 12:49 PM

Well it's a good record but woman is better.