Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New original line-up Guided By Voices album out Jan 1, 2012 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=59178)

StevOK 09.22.2011 11:53 AM

New original line-up Guided By Voices album out Jan 1, 2012

The band, who reunited last year for a run of shows focused on their early Nineties output, quietly recorded Let's Go Eat the Factory sometime earlier this year. It has not been revealed which label will release the set.

This particular lineup of the band, which includes frontman and songwriter Bob Pollard along with Mitch Mitchell, Tobin Sprout, Kevin Fennell and Greg Demos, have not recorded together since 1996's Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. This will be the first new material credited to Guided by Voices since the band's supposed final album, Half Smiles of the Decomposed, was released in 2004.

Here is the track listing for Let's Go Eat the Factory, courtesy of Mojo.
"Laundry and Lasers"
"The Head"
"Doughnut For A Snowman"
"Spiderfighter"
"Hang Mr. Kite"
"God Loves Us"
"The Unsinkable Fats Domino"
"Who Invented the Sun"
"The Big Hat and Toy Show"
"Imperial Racehorsing"
"How I Met My Mother"
"Waves"
"My Europa"
"Chocolate Boy"
"The Things That Never Need"
"Either Nelson"
"Cyclone Utilities (Remember Your Birthday)"
"Old Bones"
"Go Rolling Home"
"The Room Taking Shape"
"We Won't Apologize For the Human Race"

SOFA. KING. EXCITED.

noisereductions 09.22.2011 11:54 AM

I'm super excited. I always knew it would happen. Surprised it took this long actually.

pad_023 09.25.2011 11:00 AM

This is awesome news, hopefully they come to the UK and play some shows as well.

E. Noisefield 09.26.2011 09:38 AM

Man, I hope it's lo-fi. I know that sounds faggy as hell, but the last few GbV albums were too glossy and poppy for my tastes. I miss the hissing tape and analogue sounds of "Tractor Rape Chain".

GbV is a really great band, but frankly they've released almost as much crap as they have good stuff.

Not into the unabashed, blatant, over, faux-British accent Pollard affects, particularly in his live shows. However, they're a great live band.

I'm excited.

Next, Pavement.

Count Mecha 09.26.2011 10:50 AM

This is badass. I'm super pumped for this. I see that there's still no shortage of goofy song titles emanating from this band thank goodness. "Cyclone Utilities (Remember Your Birthday)" how do you come up with that one?

And I agree with E. Noisefield, I hope this album cost like twenty dollars to make. And all spent on beer.

dazedcola 09.26.2011 03:28 PM

This is just great timing! I've only recently got into GBV and their classic lineup stuff from Bee Thousand to Under Bushes and have fallen in love with it. Its strange how it feels like nowadays people are realizing how better the 90s sounded when compared to today.kings of leon can eat shit.

Jeremy 09.26.2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Man, I hope it's lo-fi. I know that sounds faggy as hell, but the last few GbV albums were too glossy and poppy for my tastes. I miss the hissing tape and analogue sounds of "Tractor Rape Chain".

GbV is a really great band, but frankly they've released almost as much crap as they have good stuff.

Not into the unabashed, blatant, over, faux-British accent Pollard affects, particularly in his live shows. However, they're a great live band.

I'm excited.

Next, Pavement.

Huh? UTBUTS is more "produced" and that is widely seen as one of his best works along with his first couple solo albums and some Boston Spaceships albums. I don't want them to make it lo-fi to get a point across, but (thankfully) they wouldn't do that to play up to their shitty AllMusic bio. I'm already hating seeing people who know Game of Pricks from the It Crowd keep being pretend music journalist to their friends and saying things about how it will be a return to lo-fi.

In other words, those days are long behind Robert Pollard.

And Pavement is done, Malkmus even said that in an interview for Mirror Traffic. I think that's for the best though, I really do.

E. Noisefield 09.28.2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Huh? UTBUTS is more "produced" and that is widely seen as one of his best works along with his first couple solo albums and some Boston Spaceships albums. I don't want them to make it lo-fi to get a point across, but (thankfully) they wouldn't do that to play up to their shitty AllMusic bio. I'm already hating seeing people who know Game of Pricks from the It Crowd keep being pretend music journalist to their friends and saying things about how it will be a return to lo-fi.

In other words, those days are long behind Robert Pollard.

And Pavement is done, Malkmus even said that in an interview for Mirror Traffic. I think that's for the best though, I really do.

I haven't heard UTBUTS. Sorry. Their discography is SO HUGE. I've been a fan since high school and still don't have a quarter of their releases at least.

I'm a big BT, AL guy fan. I also spin the best-of record a lot, and the live in Austin double album. So, unfortunately, I can't comment on that.

But yeah- Pavement released 5 10/10 albums in a row (well, BTC was more of a 7-8, overall), and their record was pretty much perfect. A new album would probably be kickass (I see no reason why it wouldn't be... the Jicks are ruling), but it might change their overall.... uh... legacy.

Jeremy 09.28.2011 10:33 PM

Yeah, I agree, it would change their legacy and the general perception of the band. They are my all-time favorite band easily, and I think they do not need to add anything post-hiatus. A live DVD of the reunion would be awesome, but not needed.

Definitely check out Under The Bushes Under The Stars and the EP Sunfish Holy Breakfast if you haven't. I'm pretty sure they will be right up your alley, hopefully.

E. Noisefield 09.29.2011 01:03 PM

Will do.

I've found countless gems on their EPs. King Shit... is one of my favorites.

A Pavement retrospective would be nice. I know they've done the "best of" and the reissues, but I think they need a box.

BTW: When the fuck is Terror Twilight going to be reissued?

E. Noisefield 09.30.2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Hope Tobin Sprout has a few songs.

Alien Lanes was my favorite in the winter of 1999.

Know every nook and cranny of that record.

Yup. Alien Lanes is the best.

E. Noisefield 09.30.2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Guided by Voices and Pavement were the only thing worth listening to in the late 90's.

Everything else was crap, or at least to me.

Hmm. I'd probably disagree, but I grew up in the late '90s. Also, I think there was some album about a moderately good Computer that garnered some praise around that time. ;)

In terms of indie rock, though, truthfully- a lot of classic shit came out of the second half of that decade.

Jeremy 10.03.2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield

BTW: When the fuck is Terror Twilight going to be reissued?

Since Spiral is in charge of the reissues, and none of Pavement outside of Malkmus care for that record, it's been slow going, especially with the reunion tour. Matador said later this year, but we'll see. It should be noted the BTC reissue came out of nowhere.

~Jeremy~

washer 12.07.2011 09:19 AM

The Primavera Sound organization just revealed that GBV broke up again, but official confirmation from the band (or even a heads up on that by some major publication like Pitchfork or whatever) is nowhere to be found. Strange.

washer 12.08.2011 09:23 AM

They didn't broke up, after all.

Guided By Voices have announced that they are cancelling their planned performances at ATP’s I’ll Be Your Mirror festival in London next May and Primavera in Spain in June. As previously reported, the band reformed almost a year ago and are due to release a new album, ‘Let’s Go Eat The Factory’, in January.

A statement on frontman Robert Pollard’s website explained: “Unfortunately, Guided By Voices are cancelling their appearances at Primavera and ATP I’ll Be Your Mirror, due to personal reasons. The band apologises for any inconvenience and disappointment, and thanks Primavera, ATP and the fans for their long term support”.

Somewhere along the way some wires got crossed, with both ATP and Primavera initially announcing that the band had actually split. However, this is not the case, according to their label, Fire Records, which issued a statement yesterday saying: “Guided By Voices have not split up and continue to work on new material together. In addition to the album release of ‘Let’s Go Eat The Factory’ for January, the band are at work on another album, ‘Class Clown Spots A UFO’. Robert Pollard will also be releasing a solo record in March called ‘Mouseman Cloud’”.

Pax Americana 12.08.2011 08:46 PM

Can't wait for the new GBV record. I'm hoping for more live dates in the US next year, as I still have yet to see them. Keeping up with Robert Pollard's recorded output is damn near impossible. I mean, they haven't even put out their first post-reunion album and they're already talking about the next one!?

Shit yeah, it's cool.