Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Record Store Day 2020 - April 18 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=122173)

The Soup Nazi 03.09.2020 12:23 AM

Record Store Day 2020 - April 18

In all the years I've been covering Record Store Day ;), this is the most straight-reissues-packed RSD I've ever seen. I started putting together a list of the most interesting titles from that camp (Penderecki + Don Cherry, for instance), but in the end it was a pretty boring exercise, even when the music's good. Here's the list, and here are my picks (caveat emptor: most of these belong to the "RSD First" category, so they could surface cheaper later - read the small print):

Steve Earle - "Times Like This"/"It's About Blood"
The Verlaines - Dunedin Spleen
Wire - 10:20
Bert Jansch - Live In Italy
Wilco - Wilcovered (with two extra tracks not on the Uncut CD, by Yo La Tengo and Billy Gibbons)
The The - I Want 2 B U
Roxy Music - Roxy Music: The Steven Wilson Stereo Mix
Craig Finn - All These Perfect Crosses
Brian Eno - Rams: Original Soundtrack
Dinosaur Jr - Swedish Fist (Live In Stockholm)

The irony is I can't buy anything! I'm just doing this for YOU! :D:mad: Still need to check the RSD UK site, but first I gotta get some shut-eye...

ilduclo 03.10.2020 12:16 PM

thanks for the post, will checker!

greenlight 03.10.2020 02:05 PM

Britney's Spears oops I did it again? :)

If I would have to pick only one from that list, it would be Bill Evans I would go for. I'd like to have something of his, in my humble colection. definitely couple more but. alright list I suppose. thanks for sharing.

ilduclo 03.10.2020 02:22 PM

GRAVES AT SEA History of Sickness
......THELONIOUS MONK Palais Des Beaux-Arts 1963.
......SLAPP HAPPY Our Swimmer.
...... Smudge Sock-Tight

The Soup Nazi 03.12.2020 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
If I would have to pick only one from that list, it would be Bill Evans I would go for. I'd like to have something of his, in my humble colection.

Sunday At The Village Vanguard and Waltz For Debby (both from the same concert in 1961; there's also a 3CD set which compiles both and adds more) are likely Evans' peak, the kind of art that makes you wonder HOW HAVE I SURVIVED ALL THESE YEARS WITHOUT THIS MUSIC. Evans/La Faro/Motian - can't beat that.

After those two (but very, very close!), 1959's Everybody Digs Bill Evans: Evans/Sam Jones/Philly Joe Jones.

_tunic_ 03.13.2020 08:23 AM

Record Store Day 2020 has been postponed due to Corona, globally. New date : 20 June
Which gives me plenty of time to browse the list of specials...

The Soup Nazi 03.13.2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Record Store Day 2020 has been postponed due to Corona, globally. New date : 20 June

Pffft, cool record stores have carried the infectious Corona since 1984.

_tunic_ 03.13.2020 09:12 AM

My picks (but not sure if I will actually get them):

Dinosaur Jr.
Serge Gainsbourg (but this is a regional release, so probably only available in France?)
Primus
Frank Zappa

I'm most interested in the Primus album actually, since I love it and don't have it, or to be exact them, being their first three albums

the ikara cult 03.14.2020 04:21 PM

RSD 2020 is cancelled, but im looking forward to a big swirly reissue of On the Ellipse by Bardo Pond when it comes back

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/release...20/bardo-pond/

_tunic_ 03.14.2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
RSD 2020 is cancelled

It's not cancelled, but postponed to June 20

The Soup Nazi 05.01.2020 02:25 AM

Record Store Day Postponed Again, Will Now Happen on Three Different Dates
Releases to Be Split Between August, September, and October